Buying a custom DW set

Why DW? Probably because in my personal hay day of the 90's they were the top tier premier label, and in my mind continue to be. Besides that, their distinctive sound and design is just too damn special, again in my mind I'm sure.

I 100% support your quest (not financially though! :) ).

I remember DW's popping up everywhere during that time, as this was the same time I became really interested in drumming. One little thing to keep in mind is that DW's before 1997/1998 were made using Keller shells, so if you really, really like early DW's, then you are listening to a Keller drum set. DW's started making their own shells in the late 90's. Many people love their new shells while others prefer their "older" counterparts.

I just thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Once again, I'm really excited for you!

Some great advice above...

Good lord, if I were in your shoes... hell ya, I'd visit the factory... That is so cool. (Audi allows that for some of their cars, which I was thinking long and hard about.)

I'm envious.

Do it and as the other have said... this is the journey... make it just as fun as the ownership.

Rubik, welcome!
Shoot these guys an email and let them know what you are looking for.
thedwstore.com
Shipping is free, no worries there. If you can go to Oxnard, I highly recommend it.
Here's my Pure Cherry Collector's, just to whet your appetite!

This seriously looks like pretty much exactly what I am going for.

Question...do retailers stock Collector's series? Considering what I want is pretty garden variety, is it worth pursuing that? Did you order yours from scratch?

Question...do retailers stock Collector's series? Considering what I want is pretty garden variety, is it worth pursuing that? Did you order yours from scratch?

I think all of the kits listed are stock unless mentionned otherwise.

I have seen my fair share of exotics, wraps and lacquered dw at a couple of shops.

Again, shop around it's half the fun!

Ordering custom and waiting six months is not for everyone either. I could not do it.

Answer: Yes, but the drums are custom built for the store, i.e. the store is the customer and the kit was built for them and to their specs. Every DW Collectors is custom made and built to order with the exception of their Limited Edition runs like the Timeless Timber and Anniversary kits.

Yes.
8x12/9x13/14x15/15x16/15x22/6.5x14
If you want a clear lacquer finish, I would order them and get everything built to your spec. I ordered t-rods, a smooth white vented bd reso and coated batter heads for the toms.
My drums took four months from ordering to delivery.

Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

My biggest gripe with DW is adjusting those God-awful tom mounts.

Don't buy DW drums. They sound mediocre at best, and they have some of the worst tom mounts in existence. If price isn't an issue and you want home grown, go for Craviotto. Heck, I'd even take Ludwig over DW. Of course, Gretsch makes three lines now in South Carolina. Anything but DW. I've never played a set I liked. Virgil Donati seems to make them sound nice, but that's about it. Even John Robinson sounded better on Yamaha.

The man specifically said he wanted a DW kit, and that he would not change his mind.

I think the proper thing to do here for people who know the company lineup is to guide him through it.

I would personally consider the Cherry kits in natural finish, they are gorgeous and I tried a 24x14 bd that had one of the greatest tone I had heard in a long time.

My favorite DW finishes:

Mappa Burl
p-800-mapabop2.jpg

DW calls this "Mineral Maple," but everyone else in the world calls this "Wormy Maple." Love this fade:

coll-ex-regalnatburst-mineralmaple.jpg

and finally, curly maple:

rry27rzpvclzpedekmoz.jpg

My favorite DW finishes:

Mappa Burl
p-800-mapabop2.jpg

DW calls this "Mineral Maple," but everyone else in the world calls this "Wormy Maple." Love this fade:

coll-ex-regalnatburst-mineralmaple.jpg

and finally, curly maple:

rry27rzpvclzpedekmoz.jpg
Last pic is dynamite!

Attaboy! Congrats on powering-up the ferris-wheel! :)

I think that's my favorite too.
It's interesting when I reflect on the many Exotic options I initially gravitated towards, and how quickly each of those options fell out of favour.

I went from craving Waterfall Bubinga, to Olive Ash Burl, followed by Okoume Feather kit, and then there was a series of Custom Finishes as the one you posted that got my heart racing. There's just so many stunning options.

There was even a Hunter Green to Black Fade Lacquer that sparked my interest for a time, before I questioned how overpowering it might become after living with it for a time.

Here is another that captivates my senses! Natural to Emerald Lacquer Burst over Olive Ash Burl.

And it would be a shame to overlook this one. Natural to Sky Blue Lacquer Fade over Kurillian Birch.

My hope is to follow-through with Royal Ebony Custom Lacquer, and as time closes-in on the date of order, I hope I have it right.

It's interesting when I reflect on the many Exotic options I initially gravitated towards, and how quickly each of those options fell out of favour.

I went from craving Waterfall Bubinga, to Olive Ash Burl, followed by Okoume Feather kit, and then there was a series of Custom Finishes as the one you posted that got my heart racing. There's just so many stunning options.

There was even a Hunter Green to Black Fade Lacquer that sparked my interest for a time, before I questioned how overpowering it might become after living with it for a time.

Here is another that captivates my senses! Natural to Emerald Lacquer Burst over Olive Ash Burl.

And it would be a shame to overlook this one. Natural to Sky Blue Lacquer Fade over Kurillian Birch.

My hope is to follow-through with Royal Ebony Custom Lacquer, and as time closes-in on the date of order, I hope I have it right.

All of those would be a fine choice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. :)

All of those would be a fine choice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. :)
You're right, DW excels in such sterling finishes that really, a guy just can't go wrong.

I agree, but for 7000 bucks without cymbals or hardware? They can keep it! If the guy wants to piss away his money on overrated, overpriced drums let him have at it!
I love how DW sparks such drama. I eat it up as fast as I can read it. As with most expensive things, it's not for everyone. :)

Great little pseudo-documentary. But for the first time I noticed Mick has his toms with the 12 before the 10. (about the 12 min mark)

What's going on with that. I'm curious. The sound of the toms still go deeper despite the size

Back