What got you started playing drums?

Re: The "how" thread

Music: #1 would be Santana. The Police, Aerosmith, Prince, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Meters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Drummer: Carter Beauford, Questlove, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez, Gene Lake, Jojo Mayer, Bill Stewart, Tony Allen, Mokhtar Samba, Manu Katche, Zakir Hussain....and Mr Vinnie Colaiuta
Person: My uncle.
Style: Funk and bits and of Afro-cuban and jazz
Inspirations Just the beautiful music

Music-Mastodon, Slayer, Zappa, Lou Reed, Lamb of God, Stevie Ray Vaughn (Double Trouble), Fear Factory, Chevelle, Rush, Queen, Zeppelin, The Sword, Black Sabbath, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, CCR, Jethro Tull, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Anything I can get my hands on. I love ALL types of music (save bubblegum pop)

Drummer-Brann Dailor, Phil Collins, Raymond Herrera, Dave Lombardo, Paul Bostaph, Bonzo, Bermuda, Peart, Buddy Rich, Chris Adler... I listen to a lot of drummers and learn what makes them tick. You can't be great with only one influence, you end up sounding just like them and then you're just a carbon copy.

Persons-I've always wanted to, I've just always looked up to drummers. My girlfriend told me to do what I wanted and let nobody stand in my way one day; a week later I had a drum kit.

Style-I love little things in bass drum work that aren't necessarily incredibly fast, but that compliments the music you're trying to play well. I'm big into fills and having a solid groove but interluding it very regularly with a fill.

Inspiration- The drive to get better. I one day want to be a great drummer. I don't need fame or fortune, I just love the instrument and want to be good at it.

Music- All every style has something inspiring.
Drummer- Alot.. but I really like how Vinnie Calaiuta thinks.
Person- Father.
Style- All styles.
inspirations- Having fun.

Music: the most inspiration has come from bands such as nightwish, dream theatre, lacuna coil, linkin park, nickelback, spineshank and recently rush.

Drummer: when I just started drumming I didn't know a lot of drummers, saw no need to know them either. But afer a while that changed. My favourite drummer at the moment is Keith Carlock, and other than him I like Mike Portnoy, Neal Peart, Virgil Donati and Jeff Porcaro.

Person: my parents and brothers got me into taking drum lessons.

Style: I have a very broad interest, rock in all of its forms (except for stuff like death metal which insults my ears, I prefer music in which I can hear some sort of melody in the vocals), and recently I've gotten interested in playing Jazz. I am working on it, listening to some jazz and trying to learn how they play drums.

Inspirations: Music that gives me goosebumps for being awesome, and sometimes a break or fill that I come up with out of nowhere that rules. I also get a lot of inspiration from watching other drummers. No matter what style they're playing, you always learn something if they're good drummers.

In the 3rd grade I took up percussion because I had a good sense of time and rhythm. In the 7th grade I went for a lesson on xylophone and instead got one on a set. (Sooo lucky) Ever since its been an addiction.

Music: Zeppelin, Hendrix, Anonymous, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Genesis, The Who, Benny Goodman, John Coltrane, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Phil Collins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Supertramp.....the list can go on for pages but those are the bands that are a big influence.

Drummer: Bonham is my biggest influence.

Person: Uncle who was in a band and my neighboor.

Style: Rock, Jazz, Funk

Music: Led Zeppelin, Blink 182, Motley Crue, Metallica, The Mars Volta, The Who.

Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon.

Person: Had a drum teacher for a few months.

Style
: Rock, some jazz.

Inspirations: Knowing that if i practice as much as i can and be patient about learning, that I can be an amazing drummer. Wanting to play in a good band one day.

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Mines was the sound of a good snare drum. I used to love watching marching bands and kept my eyes on the side drummers. That was all before I began kit drumming.

Actually, I didn't want to play the drums that much... I first played the cello and then learned the guitar, the piano, how to sing and eventually, I started jamming on my brother's TD-7! When I formed a band with my long time pals, I first was the lead guitarist but when we started looking for a drummer, my friend called me and said: "Hey, you play the drums, right? I said yeah... and he goes Well... wanna be the drummer?" And I accepted! I ended up entering the percussion program at my high school and becoming the jazz band drummer as well as the lead signer and drummer of that first band for the whole five years it lasted! Now, I'm finishing my college degree in jazz/pop drums!!! But I going into composition and arrangement next year, to better exploit my musical abilities...

When I first heard The Beatles, that was it for me. I had to play drums in a band. The year was 1964

ive always had a natural beat running throught me, i just knew the drums was a must. but hwat really got my into it was a school talent show, two drummers did a drum battle and that was it, i knew i had to play drums, when i bought my first kit, or even played a kit for the first time, i was almost as good as i am now, it was just a natural thing that was meant to be.

i think it was the fact that i didnt have to much for a trumpet.. the year was of course 2001. i wanted to play trumpet all though i had no idea how.. my dad somehow got me an audtion at our school to play the drums and i happened to be a natural.. ive played at school a long time and from then on i think it was just my passion for music and self expression.. idk i love the drums. theres just something about them thats awsome

I knew I had the abilty to play since I was 9 or 10. Didnt get my 1st kit till age 16. A copy of The Whos Quadrophenia Album was the icing on the cake.

What made you want to start drumming? what was that turning point?

post that time, that event, whatever it was that made you want to play drums.......a concert, meeting a famous drummer?

for me it was at a school talent show way back in grade 7, two drummers tried to out beat each other

ive been playing drums ever since and i can probably out beat the both of them now

Re: What made you want to start drumming? what was that turning point?

great question...i have thought about why i wanted to play drums...only many years later after i became an older adult. for me i decided it's about putting things in order...organization...of tempos,beats and grooves...kinda like making a filing system...striving for perfection. i hope that kinda makes sense(?)

believe it or not, piano came before it all....

because of my dad, just like why i took up golf. good role models can do that to you.

also because drummers always impressed me more than any other musician. when i was 14 most of my buddies had posters of trey anastasio, jimmy hendrix, slash or other crazy guitarists on their walls. mine had jon fishman (phish), carlton barrett (wailers), steve gadd (steely dan) and carter beauford (dmb).

i also had natural internal beat, which explains why i was able to pick up bass as well.

for me I was born in it. My old man plays the bass, and my uncle plays the drums. They were in some pretty popular bands back in the day, so I was right in it growing up. Early on I knew I'd be playing the drums. Started off being my uncles Rodie lol

To add to what I said earlier in this thread, When I was 11 I heard a really cool drum solo on the radio. I don't know who it was but it really turned me on. I really wanted to play drums after going to my first rock concert in my early teens. The drummer for the Pat Traverse Band (sp?) did an incredible solo. I knew then the drums were for me.

When I was about eight years old I borrowed my brothers Zeppelin IV album and I heard the intro to "When The Levee Breaks" and the solo at the end of "Rock'n Roll" I knew then that I was going to be a drummer.

Back