5A too thin, 5B too thick...

I miss read your question. Is the actual diameter the problem or the weight/feel? The ProMark 5AB feels between an A & B. The Firth 55A's are really good feeling at .580. Each manufacturers spec's for the same stick nomenclature are different. I've been playing off and on for over 30 years and I'm still switching sticks from time to time, probably never going to find the "perfect" stick. I'm actually probably going back to Firth 5a's.
Go on the web sites and scout out sticks in the diameters between .560 and.580. Your local store won't carry everything obviously but make a list, and if you can, buy a pair of each of what you have on your list and compare.

I do recommend the 55A, but also the Extreme 5A from Vic Firth. Though I'm not sure how much thicker it is than a regular Vic Firth 5A, if at all.

I do recommend the 55A, but also the Extreme 5A from Vic Firth. Though I'm not sure how much thicker it is than a regular Vic Firth 5A, if at all.

I like them too, but I don't think they offer the 55A with a nylon tip, which is what kept me searching. I like and have use the Extreme 5A, but it's just a little longer, not thicker. So, I kept looking for the perfect nylon tip stick. I went back to the 5B nylon and tried a pair of Zildjians that I'm still using in the studio, and I use a pair of Vater fusion with the Garage kit. I'm all over the place with sticks now.

But I went to the store and got a pair of Regal tip 5AX nylon, and I think they are just right. They are thicker than any other 5A stick, plus they have the extra length and the coating helps keep the stick from flying out of my hand. I got a pair of Promark 747 nylon at the same time. I did a side by side comparison and the Regals just felt better. So I gave the Promarks to a friend for a birthday present.

With wood tip sticks I have different issues. I love the tip on the Steve Smith sig, but it's a little thin and light for me. Now if they can make a stick with the Steve Smith tip, a .580 dia. thickness, and a length of 16 1/4". I would have the perfect wood tip stick for me. Until they make that one, I'll stick with the Aaron Spears sig model.

I like them too, but I don't think they offer the 55A with a nylon tip, which is what kept me searching. I like and have use the Extreme 5A, but it's just a little longer, not thicker. So, I kept looking for the perfect nylon tip stick. I went back to the 5B nylon and tried a pair of Zildjians that I'm still using in the studio, and I use a pair of Vater fusion with the Garage kit. I'm all over the place with sticks now.

But I went to the store and got a pair of Regal tip 5AX nylon, and I think they are just right. They are thicker than any other 5A stick, plus they have the extra length and the coating helps keep the stick from flying out of my hand. I got a pair of Promark 747 nylon at the same time. I did a side by side comparison and the Regals just felt better. So I gave the Promarks to a friend for a birthday present.

With wood tip sticks I have different issues. I love the tip on the Steve Smith sig, but it's a little thin and light for me. Now if they can make a stick with the Steve Smith tip, a .580 dia. thickness, and a length of 16 1/4". I would have the perfect wood tip stick for me. Until they make that one, I'll stick with the Aaron Spears sig model.
Interesting. I don't have a "go to" stick, use a variety..but I do find the Steve Gadd nylons are very comfortable for world, jazz and blues stuff..but not a big nylon tip guy.

To the OP, I believe Jojo Mayer's sticks between a 5A and 5B? I think he referred to them as a "beefy 5A" but a bit shorter. I like them quite a bit, have a few pairs in rotation.

Every manufacturer seems to gauge their sticks differently but I also prefer a 5A/5B width as well. Some of the sticks I have felt good playing:

Vic Firth JoJo Mayer signature
Vic Firth Lenny White signature
Vic Firth Peter Erskine 'Ride Stick' signature
Vater Derek Roddy signature
Regal tip 5AX

I like a stick within the .555" range but the usual 5A sticks feel too light for me. What works for me currently is the Vic Firth Steve Smith Signature stick and the Vic Firth Keith Carlock stick.

I agree with the Regal-Tip 5AX, Regal-Tip sticks are just a great playing stick I switched to the 5BX from Vator 3A's because of the playability and a 7A Regal Tip's are a great side click stick or for playing at low volumes.

Bonzolead

5A too thin, 5B too thick...

anything in between you know of?

Sticks are sized in thousandths of an inch - .xxx (.550 or .580, for example).

Different manufacturers use different namings for various sizes.
One's 5A can be closer to another's 5B, and so on.
Even within a specific brand and type there can be small variations.
Best bet is to just go by what feels best for you.

Or if you absolutely have to have a specific size, bring a dial calipers with you to measure them when you buy them.

I'll 3rd the Vater 5As (my stick of choice). I tried VF 5As not long ago and they felt like balsa wood in comparison.

When the Vater 5As are feeling a little light, I go to Vater 7A butt-ends instead of 5Bs.

Perhaps I should try VF 5Bs ...

Go with the 5B. Learn to like it. If you fall in love with some exotic stick model they'll be expensive and hard to get. Learn to use something standard and you'll always have it available.

Vic Firth 55A is exactly in between the 5A and 5B in the American classic sticks

5A .565
55A .580
5B .595

Go with the 5B. Learn to like it. If you fall in love with some exotic stick model they'll be expensive and hard to get. Learn to use something standard and you'll always have it available.

That there is some sage advice. Truth!

5B are like the industry standard and priced as such. I do use them but I also have some others that I like but when they break they won't be replaced.

Try the Vic Firth Corpsman MS3 for a while... then everything will be smaller.

Corpsmaster MS3
Very long taper for quick rebound and smooth action. Tip produces a full‚ yet crisp snare sound.
L = 17" | Dia. = .715"

Last edited:
55A is the obvious choice, the you got 5A extreme.

If it's just the weight I guess you can get 5A Shogun or 5B maple sticks.

I agree on the Colaiuta stick, my stick of choice, which is sort of a 5B, but it's way easier for me to handle than the regular 5B model.

Back