Hi Hat Stands

This is probably a really obvious question, but are hi hats different from eachother, like, are'more expensive' ones better? if so, why? and what hi hat stands are reccomended?

This is probably a really obvious question, but are hi hats different from eachother, like, are'more expensive' ones better? if so, why? and what hi hat stands are reccomended?

The main options that start scaling up a hi-hat stand's price are the tension settings for the spring (more settings = more expensive), two-legged, or three-legged swivel-based (if yes, then more expensive), solid base or wire base (solid = more expensive) and tubing thickness (thicker = more expensive). Then, some of the top-shelf stands have special pulley systems or other contraptions that supposedly make them smoother and better-feeling.

The truth is that for about 85% of us a medium-weight hi-hat stand will do everything we ever want it to. I have used a PDP 802 hi-hat stand for the last eight years; prior to that I used a Yamaha HH740. Neither has ever given me the slightest problem, both have performed admirably through dozens and dozens of shows, and I would recommend either.

I think cymbals are a matter of taste, I've always preferred Zildjian to any other make. I've got an old pair of 14" Quick Beat
thumbsup.gif
hi-hats that I've had since 1979. These are fantastic hi-hats: crisp, clear, sharp, bright with fantastic blend. Good cymbals tend to improve with age; the metal undergoes structural changes as they get played, and maybe that is what you pay for. That and a certain depth (it's why I prefer Zildjian A Series). At least part of the reason expensive cymbals are better, is the experience of the company and its staff. There's an art to making good cymbals.
As for pedals, I'd say the choice here is less subjective. Again, personally, I got a Tama Iron Cobra
thumbsup.gif
(I also got the double bass pedal) about five years ago. This is a really solid, well designed, well built hi-hat pedal, high quality, good control and worth the money.
Hope that helps.

I think cymbals are a matter of taste, I've always preferred Zildjian to any other make. I've got an old pair of 14" Quick Beat
thumbsup.gif
hi-hats that I've had since 1979. These are fantastic hi-hats: crisp, clear, sharp, bright with fantastic blend. Good cymbals tend to improve with age; the metal undergoes structural changes as they get played, and maybe that is what you pay for. That and a certain depth (it's why I prefer Zildjian A Series). At least part of the reason expensive cymbals are better, is the experience of the company and its staff. There's an art to making good cymbals.
As for pedals, I'd say the choice here is less subjective. Again, personally, I got a Tama Iron Cobra
thumbsup.gif
(I also got the double bass pedal) about five years ago. This is a really solid, well designed, well built hi-hat pedal, high quality, good control and worth the money.
Hope that helps.

Please note, the OP was asking about stands... Which is why I answered about stands, not hi-hat cymbals.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood
but are hi hats different from each other, like, are 'more expensive' ones better?
. I took this to mean a question about hi-hats, and
and what hi hat stands are reccomended?
to be about stands. I certainly didn't intend any criticism of your post. On the contrary, I agree with everything you said.

Also check for heights - my first hihat stand didn't go low enough for me. The RoadPro solved that problem.

Cheers
Davo

Back