David Hale

Hello guys, this is my first post.

So I found this premier drum set on craigslist that looks to be an APK, and I'm offering 200. Do you think this kit is any good? I am a big fan of genesis, and a lot of their early stuff, Phil Collins used a Premier Resonator. Does this have a chance to sound as good? Its either this one, or a Yamaha Stage Custom (which is more expensive) that I want to eventually get when I save some more.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 00j0j_dLAGBJGozgU_600x450.jpg
    00j0j_dLAGBJGozgU_600x450.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 671
  • 00b0b_byypCGrN1fO_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_byypCGrN1fO_600x450.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 553
  • 00W0W_gF3wh25xqVP_600x450.jpg
    00W0W_gF3wh25xqVP_600x450.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 543
  • 00x0x_fKwDQnthqCM_600x450.jpg
    00x0x_fKwDQnthqCM_600x450.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 543
David,

What is your CL region?
What is your budget? ($300?)
What gear do you need? (Just shells and snare?)

David,

What is your CL region?
What is your budget? ($300?)
What gear do you need? (Just shells and snare?)

If I'm going to get a local drum set and get it now, my budget is about up to $250. My other option is if I wait till about Christmas I might be able to get a slightly more expensive drum set like the Yamaha Stage Custom. I pretty much need the bass drums, toms, and anything really. I already have a good snare and cymbals, just need a better kit. I have a Sunlite drum set atm

I just am curious about this premier and am wondering if its worth getting now or if I should just wait until I find something else or get a stage custom later on

Nice drums for that price but looks to be in deep (power) tom sizes. 12 x 10 , 13 x 11...etc. Less desirable IMO.
If you can, I'd hold off for a Stage Custom (pics of those?).

Nice drums for that price but looks to be in deep (power) tom sizes. 12 x 10 , 13 x 11...etc. Less desirable IMO.
If you can, I'd hold off for a Stage Custom (pics of those?).

Yeah, I don't think I like the power toms. The resonator has shallower toms, so do the Stage Customs.

The stage custom is about $850 though, but I'm going to have to save and have some family help in order to get it sadly.

This is the exact stage custom I'm wanting to get http://www.ebay.com/itm/262925308110

Save up your pennies and get that Stage Custom set. That'll be a better investment in the long run.

If you were really going for a Phil Collins kit, you'd need six concert toms anyway.

Yeah, I don't think I like the power toms. The resonator has shallower toms, so do the Stage Customs.

The stage custom is about $850 though, but I'm going to have to save and have some family help in order to get it sadly.

This is the exact stage custom I'm wanting to get http://www.ebay.com/itm/262925308110

not sure where you are located but used stage customs are available all the time for less than 850. of course making it sound like phil collins will be up to you:)

Hi David. A lot depends on what you want the set for. Simply owning any drum kit versus not owning one will improve your chops for sure.

As for the the APK, I own an XPK and am very pleased I have it. That said, it's at home as my practice kit and I play live on a Pearl Export.

Also, I'm assuming that your offer is for the drums and doesn't include the cymbals. If your offer gets accepted or if you negotiate it slightly higher I would grab it. It doesn't have to be the last kit you ever buy.

Pete

Thanks guys for all the feedback!

I am going to go with the Stage Custom I think. And about the Phil Collins kit, its not going to be a replica of his 80s/90s set, more a replica of his 70s double headed drums.

I think that Stage Custom costs more because it includes the 16" floor tom as well, so its a 6 piece set.

I do not need cymbals/hardware, but you can never have enough ;)

Thank you!

I am a big fan of genesis, and a lot of their early stuff, Phil Collins used a Premier Resonator.
The Premier Resonator line came out after most of the early Genesis, and I'm pretty sure that Phil did not play the Resonator line. Most people would agree that the Resonator line was anything but resonant.

Phil played Premier concert toms on "Wind and Wuthering" and "And Then There Were Three" and possibly even on "Duke", but on the Duke tour he was playing double headed Premiers. I think he used roto toms along with double headed Premiers on "A Trick of the Tail". Before that, it was either a mix of Premier and Gretsch, or the small Gretsch kit he used on Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme.
PhilDrums3-804x670.jpg

drummer-phil-collins-and-guitarist-mike-rutherford-of-the-rock-band-picture-id464181229

Phil-Collins-16-%C2%A9Philip-Kamin.jpg

PhilDrums2-665x554.jpg
o-PHIL-COLLINS-GENESIS-570.jpg

left-to-right-steve-hackett-peter-gabriel-and-phil-collins-of-english-picture-id555518649

Premier drums from the 70s and early 80s were some of my favorite sounding drums, and their hardware and chrome plating were excellent. I suggest waiting until you have a few more dollars to spend so that you can get what you really want.

The Premier Resonator line came out after most of the early Genesis, and I'm pretty sure that Phil did not play the Resonator line. Most people would agree that the Resonator line was anything but resonant.

Phil played Premier concert toms on "Wind and Wuthering" and "And Then There Were Three" and possibly even on "Duke", but on the Duke tour he was playing double headed Premiers. I think he used roto toms along with double headed Premiers on "A Trick of the Tail". Before that, it was either a mix of Premier and Gretsch, or the small Gretsch kit he used on Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme.
PhilDrums3-804x670.jpg

drummer-phil-collins-and-guitarist-mike-rutherford-of-the-rock-band-picture-id464181229

Phil-Collins-16-%C2%A9Philip-Kamin.jpg

PhilDrums2-665x554.jpg
o-PHIL-COLLINS-GENESIS-570.jpg

left-to-right-steve-hackett-peter-gabriel-and-phil-collins-of-english-picture-id555518649

Premier drums from the 70s and early 80s were some of my favorite sounding drums, and their hardware and chrome plating were excellent. I suggest waiting until you have a few more dollars to spend so that you can get what you really want.

You are correct about Phil using concert toms throughout the later days, but through Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, he used a white gretsch kit with a 12" premier tom, and then from the lamb tour to the Trick of the tail tour, he used a premier resonator.

Attachments

• phil-premier-1976-02.jpg
    phil-premier-1976-02.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 501
  • phil-premier-1976-01.jpg
    phil-premier-1976-01.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 545
  • pc-replica-qfd.jpg
    pc-replica-qfd.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 536
  • Haines-philc1watermark.jpg
    Haines-philc1watermark.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • 7f01ef1bf644c2637f8db9077c8762fa.jpg
    7f01ef1bf644c2637f8db9077c8762fa.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 427
  • PhilCollinsePeterGabrielCascais1975.jpg
    PhilCollinsePeterGabrielCascais1975.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 527
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 418
You are correct about Phil using concert toms throughout the later days, but through Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, he used a white gretsch kit with a 12" premier tom.

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot (as well as the first Genesis Live record) were recorded with a four-piece Gretsch kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_l1M_cpqKY

The Gretsch/Premier hybrid kit were used on Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb. Then the Premier kit with roto-toms on the Lamb tour and Trick of the Tail record and tour.

Are you sure the brown Premiers were Resonators and not the regular Premier Elite?

Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot (as well as the first Genesis Live record) were recorded with a four-piece Gretsch kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_l1M_cpqKY

The Gretsch/Premier hybrid kit were used on Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb. Then the Premier kit with roto-toms on the Lamb tour and Trick of the Tail record and tour.

Are you sure the brown Premiers were Resonators and not the regular Premier Elite?

I think he used a Premier kit with one roto tom and 3 to 4 timables on the Lamb and Trick of the Tail tour, and then a premier concert tom kit with 2 roto toms on Seconds out.

You are probably right about his kit being a premier elite, because I do not see a resonator badge on it.

Some interesting stuff, this thread should be changed to discuss the vintage kits of Phil Collins and genesis!

Back