Dave Grohl

h3r3tic said:
I find Dave one of the most simplest drummers
though he was my first inspiration to play drums :)

You haven't heard Scream, have you? His playing with that band was anything but simple.

His drumming on the Queens of the Stone Age record had some serious chops.

His playing with Nirvana was simple because that's what the music required. Dave plays what the music requires... that's why he's a millionaire, both because of his composing and playing.

Mrbellhop said:
That is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever heard in my entire life.
You didn't hear it, you read it. Also later on i retracted that statement. What i mean was that to me, he made Nirvana, him and Kris did.

Question, what does Dave play exactly on those really fast fills between the snare & toms on 'No on knows' from the Queens Of The Stone Age?

It sounds like 5 strokes on the snare followed by 5 on the tom, but if it is - it's remarkably quick, I've seen it transcribed in tab but it's never made any sense, anyone help?

His drumming on the new tenacious d album is very nice.

I particulary like the tracks Master Exploder and Kickapoo, not overly complicated (although getting there in some spots) it just sounds so damn nice, he certainly knows how to get a nice sound out of his kit.

I've listened to the tune 'no one knows' again & am thinking that Dave plays 5 on the snare starting with his right hand followed by 5 on the tom starting with his left, this is proving very difficult to replicate as I've never practiced them starting with my left.

Can anyone confirm this is what he's playing?

The rolls he's doing back and forth on the snare and the tom are only four strokes but it's like a triplet with and another stroke tacked on. Hope that helps.

The rolls he's doing back and forth on the snare and the tom are only four strokes but it's like a triplet with and another stroke tacked on. Hope that helps.

You know - I thought he might be playing that, but the pessimist in me always presumes that Drummers are playing something more complicated than they are. Got it now anyway & can play it no problem!!!

Cheers!

He even got some kick ass double bass skills on the QOTSA album of "Songs for the dead". Number 3 is the song on that album I believe.

Damn qotsa and their confusions. Album is 'songs for the deaf' and the track rendezvous is on about on SFTD is 'songs for the dead'.

I agree though, great drums. Call me crazy, but i'm near positive he uses a single, as you can hear the hats being lifted at the same time. (i assume you're referring to the outro/hard rockin part)

Dave's playing on the new tenacious d album is awsome. His feel is unbelievable. In my opinion no other drummer touches him for rock feel (that is alive, Bonham of course is rock). His kit in the new D album sounds amazing. The stuff he plays on the album is far from simple and has awsome awsome feel.IMO

And he must be using a double pedal for some of that stuff.

Just listend to the D album and I had to post he is just such a great drummer!

Damn qotsa and their confusions. Album is 'songs for the deaf' and the track rendezvous is on about on SFTD is 'songs for the dead'.

I agree though, great drums. Call me crazy, but i'm near positive he uses a single, as you can hear the hats being lifted at the same time. (i assume you're referring to the outro/hard rockin part)

QOTSA track the drums and cymbals seperately, that could explain the hi-hats. And if i am no mistaken Dave isn't doing double bass stuff there, its all Bonham style triplets on the toms and kick. He uses a single. Ive seen Joey Castillo do it live and i can confirm he uses a single on that song.

OH YEAAA! Album is songs for the deaf, but I wasn't talking about the song "songs for the dead". It's the song before that one.

QOTSA track the drums and cymbals seperately, that could explain the hi-hats. And if i am no mistaken Dave isn't doing double bass stuff there, its all Bonham style triplets on the toms and kick. He uses a single. Ive seen Joey Castillo do it live and i can confirm he uses a single on that song.

I have the DVD and agree. Man I love to play that song. Took me quite a while to get the triplets at the end sounding right though.

Biz

Back