Head Advice for my Mapex Pro M Rock kit

ok seriously...i've melted my brain going between insterstatemusic.com and musiciansfriend.com trying to read up on heads and decide which i want to outfit my kit with....14'' snare, 14'' rack, 16'' floor & 18'' floor...24'' kick....any advice from any of you out there would most definately help in my decision...paydays on thursday and thats when i'll be ordering, actually probably wednesday night after midnight ( i love direct deposit!)...

you guys are loved!,
JG

ok seriously...i've melted my brain going between insterstatemusic.com and musiciansfriend.com trying to read up on heads and decide which i want to outfit my kit with....14'' snare, 14'' rack, 16'' floor & 18'' floor...24'' kick....any advice from any of you out there would most definately help in my decision...paydays on thursday and thats when i'll be ordering, actually probably wednesday night after midnight ( i love direct deposit!)...

you guys are loved!,
JG

i went with evans ec2 coated on all my toms. for the bass however i'm gonna go with aquarian superkick II. my toms sound great, don't be afraid to mix brands between the toms and bass either.

you guys are loved!,
JG

Single ply coated over single ply clear is my usual for the Pro-M. Lots of decay. For more staccato tom sounds sometimes I use clear Aq Performance 2s tuned high for batters. Gives a nice Copeland style kit sound.

For me a coated ambassador on the snare, pinstripes on the toms and aquarian on the bass, I use these and they sing, plus no moongels!

I play Mapex also. The heads I use just let the drums sing.

Toms: Aquarian Studio X Top and bottom, although switching to classic clear bottoms soon
Snares: Aquarian Focus X Top, Classic Clear bottom
Bass: Aquarian Superkick II, Aquarian Regulator up front

I've gone through just about every company and almost every model over the years, and this is definitely what I'm sticking with. Good luck!

(Thinks seems kinda late but aw well )
I got a Pro M Rock as well...
using these currently.

Toms - Aquarian Response 2, Classic Clear
Snare - Evans Ec Snare, thinking of trying a Aquarian though...
Kick - Aquarian Force and Regulator

I also play Pro-M and stick with EVANS

<Tom>
Batter : G2 Coated
Reso : G1 Clear
Comment : Tune a reso a bit higher than the batter side, tweak it until you
find a nice low and full sound. I tried G1 Coated for batter but never get the
sound that I have with G2 Coated

<Snare>
Batter : PowerCenter Reverse Dot
Reso : Hazy 300
Comment : For Pro-M Stock Snare(14x5.5),
I just crank it really tight top and bottom, surprisingly
it gives me a nice bright, crack and a loud ear-piercing sound. I always use
this snare as my main snare (replacing my Premier Artist Brass)

<Bass>
Batter : EQ3 (but EMAD2 is just giving you a deep, low, thump)
Reso : EMAD Resonant
Comment : with this combination EQ3 and EMAD Resonant,. Bass drum sounds a bit
open without any muffling (even the sustain is a bit short) compared with
EMAD2 as batter. If you play
rock/metal just go with EMAD2

Hope it helps ! happy hunting

Back