Thomas Lang

just saw his solo .. awesome! but why the funk does have 5 pedals? i can understand why he has three of the pedals.. not the two others..

edit.. i just found out why.. impressive ....

Thomas Lang is one of the most amazing drummers around. The level of independence he has achieved with his feet alone is astonishing. Some may not like his style, but to imply he cannot groove is simply ignorant. Lang could play anything he wanted to play.

Waterjet

I just bought the Creative Control dvd and it's exactly what I needed at this point in an instuctional dvd. If I can get 5% of what he's doing i'll be pleased.
In the video he talk's about math not always being musical and that developing a high level of technique make's the more simple groove's easier to play. I believe he can groove his a** off but I would like to hear him live in a musical setting.
Once again, the dvd is an instructional one with the entire focus being on technique so keep this in mind if you buy it. For me being in my 4th month of learning double kick it is the perfect instructional video and has already helped my left foot endurance.
Just buy it,
Mike

Drums558 said:
I just bought the Creative Control dvd and it's exactly what I needed at this point in an instuctional dvd. If I can get 5% of what he's doing i'll be pleased.
In the video he talk's about math not always being musical and that developing a high level of technique make's the more simple groove's easier to play. I believe he can groove his a** off but I would like to hear him live in a musical setting.
Once again, the dvd is an instructional one with the entire focus being on technique so keep this in mind if you buy it. For me being in my 4th month of learning double kick it is the perfect instructional video and has already helped my left foot endurance.
Just buy it,
Mike

I completely agree Mike. This DVD is about blinding technique. It's so true that learning even a small percentage of this stuff makes simple grooves simpler to play. I'm sure he can groove with the best of them but why would he want to put simple (ish) grooves in an instructional dvd. That sort of stuff can be learnt from listening to the radio (well maybe not, but you get my point).

Lang is awesome. I hear he spent a couple of years getting lessons off the great Vinnie Colaiuta. If this is true, I can't see him not being able to groove ridiculously well., as Vinnie can do ANYTHING!!!! ANYTHING!!!!

I've heard Thomas Lang has relocated from London to LA. I'm really hoping now that he's in LA that we'll get some decent music from him. Like an interesting sideproject, or gigs at the Baked Potato. I have enourmous respect for his techincal ability and his dedication. But, until he puts out some music that I personally like, or that I can at least appreciate, I won't consider him one of the 'greats'.

On a techincal level it's fine to compare him to some of the other clinician 'Gladiators' like Mangini, Marco, Virgil, as well as Vinnie, Weckl, Gadd. But IMO he's done nothing musically that will make me consider him as a 'great'. I understand why he does the session work, like Sugababes or Pop Idol tours. He's got a young family, needs to pay the bills like everyone etc. But loads of top drummers have a 'day job', or a big source of income. And they use this to fund their musical exploits. I realise the money is in session work, but I wish he'd get a band together, and really stretch out techincally and musically. Dave Weckl has his (awesome) band, Dennis Chambers has his solo records, Steve Smith has Vital Information, Virgil has Planet X, Vinnie has ... well, pretty much anything he's ever done!

IMO Lang's international reputation has been achieved solely through clinics and drum festivals. Which is fine to an extent, but you've got to wonder if he's satisfied doing the fake, commerical, bland session work and clinics. I'm still hoping for a killer band from him. I'd love it if he puts together a brilliant lineup, and stuns the drum world on a musical basis.

Thomas Lang is the greatest drummer on earth. period. Only people who come close in technical perfection is Virgil Donati and Marco Minneman and maybe Mike Mangini.

has anyone seen his stick tricks?they're amazing, i saw him recently and was impressed by him, his style does not exactly suit mine but from what i can see he really does know what he's doing and talking bout

Help! Thomas Lang Masterclass..

Hey,

On thomas lang's upcoming clinic tour, he's playing one masterclass for twelve people. I've been offered an 'advance' ticket to get in, but I'm terrified. I'm not particularly well knowledged in theory.

I really don't want to miss out on what could be an amazing, one-of-a-kind experience..but I don't wan't to get there and find all the stuff is completely above my ability and feel incredibly embarrassed. Can anyone give me any advice? I doubt I have much time for any one of those 12 tickets.

Thanks,
tom

Re: Help! Thomas Lang Masterclass..

Eh, do it.

If there's one thing I got from music school it was an absolute absence of fear of looking like a fool. I was in a group above where I should have been because of scheduling issues, so I was quite comfortable being the worst in the class and would regularly volunteer to play first because of it... It doesn't kill you, and you learn plenty.

Tell him you're a Drummerworld Forum Member and give him some greetings from B.

Hope, this will help...

Bernhard

finnhiggins said:
Eh, do it.

If there's one thing I got from music school it was an absolute absence of fear of looking like a fool. I was in a group above where I should have been because of scheduling issues, so I was quite comfortable being the worst in the class and would regularly volunteer to play first because of it... It doesn't kill you, and you learn plenty.
Thanks for that quick response finn. I know it won't kill me, but I'm worried, I'll be that simple rock drummer lost in a sea of 5-foot ostinato's. Oh well, i'll see what I can do.

Bernhard said:
Tell him you're a Drummerworld Forum Member and give him some greetings from B.

Hope, this will help...

Bernhard
Haha. Will do, Bernhard.

Do it!!!

Don't worry, alot of the stuff that he does is beyond most people's abilities. Just observe his technique and learn from him, that's what the class is for.

Be grateful that you get to go!!! It's verely rare that I actually meet another drummer, let alone get a chance to see at least a semi-famous drummer, meeting a player of his calibre... wow.

Who cares if you are in over your head?! There's nothing you can do but sit and watch in awe and try to comprehend it, or you may well comprehend it. My advice; GO!

Good luck with the MasterClass.

I agree with all the other responses on here - don't worry about it. However...

If you are worried, us telling you not to be probably wont help much - why not have more of a look at the stuff he's doing between now and the clinic - watch the relavent bits of his DVD if you have it, have a look on this site and on youtube for more clips of him and try to analyse what he's doing a little more. I'm not saying anything he does is easy at all, but all that rhythmic stuff is just a question of listening and there'll be some slower or simpler bits that'll lead you in to knowing more what he's doing. You'll probably get a lot more out of the clinic anyway if you have an idea what to be looking for.

Good luck!

Martin

Dude if nothing else it will be an inspiration. TL is a fantastic drummer (IMHOP) and has always been SUPER inspiring both times I've seen him play clinics. Also very freindly and easy to talk to. Go for it, and consider yourself lucky you're getting to see him in such an intimate setting.

Don't you dare miss this opportunity!!!

No matter what your level, or how advanced the class, you will get something out of it ... besides the chance to watch a master up-close and personal!!

And of course, we'll be waiting for the complete report!!

TopCat said:
Hey,

On thomas lang's upcoming clinic tour, he's playing one masterclass for twelve people. I've been offered an 'advance' ticket to get in, but I'm terrified. I'm not particularly well knowledged in theory.

I really don't want to miss out on what could be an amazing, one-of-a-kind experience..but I don't wan't to get there and find all the stuff is completely above my ability and feel incredibly embarrassed. Can anyone give me any advice? I doubt I have much time for any one of those 12 tickets.

Thanks,
tom
Hey if you don't know it you don't know it but afterwards you may know it,no such thing as a dumb question. In all the years I've been playing I still get nervous playing in front of a master drummer just can't get help it. Just try to absorb as much as possible.good luck you will do just fine

Ahhhh - GO!
Why does it matter what your level is compared to others...

Bottom line is YOU will probably leave the session with atleast one new cool lick to add to your bag of tricks...

Isn't that all that really matters.....

Back