...for the jazz cats ...

Yeah, I love this. I think this was the clip that got Polly to finally warm up to Max a little.

I don't think anyone played at those tempos better than Max. So relaxed, never a shortage of ideas.

it is mindblowing when you really check out the tempo is blazing at in such a relaxed state

riding, comping, and soloing at 400 bpm as if it was 150 bpm

Max was for sure among the best at that

Yeah, I love this. I think this was the clip that got Polly to finally warm up to Max a little.

I don't think anyone played at those tempos better than Max. So relaxed, never a shortage of ideas.

I warmed more than a little, Larry. It's among my favourite jazz performances, along with Driva Man, Trane's Alabama and Joni Mitchell's Goobye Pork Pie Hat. Awesome deep music - hoo yeah.

Another one is the first 10 mins or so of Pharaoh's Creator ... I have a weakness for ripping sax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9z9sU5dXnw

How do you guys like Wynton Marsalis' Standard time album? I love their playing,
especially Jeff Tain Watts'. Just killing! Great polyrhythmic ideas.

I may take a lot of heat from some folks but I love Wynton's stuff.

I have all those Standard Time albums. You want to hear some burning Jeff Watts with Wynton, be sure to check out Live at Blues Alley.

Another killer collection of his is the Live at the Village Vanguard set with Herlin Riley.

Roy is at the top of my list also. Thanks for this one, new to me. Upon listening I think I just need to put my sticks down... *sigh*

When you've been playing for as long as he has, you're bound to be incredible. Keep at it. :D

Hey guys,

Been a while.
Nice to see a "Jazz only" thread here.
Good idea.
I'm pretty much a Jazz guy these days, who's history mimics Gvdadrummasum's.
I go about it a little differently, though.
For starters I play Ludwig and Paiste, yet get some nice results.
I play left footed, so I'm FOREVER transposing lessons, but after this much time, I'm used to it.
Been watching some interesting vids on youtube lately.
I especially like this one utilizing the paradiddle-diddle.
Played a little differently than I remember, but it's been a while, so I'm obviously wrong.
In other news, found this cool website.
Also, bought a wonderful compilation album called "Arrival"...
1275390425_2mcwxf5.jpg

Features Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Ray Brown and Jake Hanna.
It's a compilation of two live albums this group did, which were - Seven Come Eleven and Jazz Concord.
Next purchases will be coated Weathermaster Heavy for the snare drum and VF AJ2 sticks. I wanna compare them to the 5a's I have now.

That's about it from me!

Elvis

I don't know this Quartet, but Man! what a line up! Definitely gonna' have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

russell

Hey guys,

Been a while.
Nice to see a "Jazz only" thread here.
Good idea.
I'm pretty much a Jazz guy these days, who's history mimics Gvdadrummasum's.
I go about it a little differently, though.
For starters I play Ludwig and Paiste, yet get some nice results.
I play left footed, so I'm FOREVER transposing lessons, but after this much time, I'm used to it.
Been watching some interesting vids on youtube lately.
I especially like this one utilizing the paradiddle-diddle.
Played a little differently than I remember, but it's been a while, so I'm obviously wrong.
In other news, found this cool website.
Also, bought a wonderful compilation album called "Arrival"...
1275390425_2mcwxf5.jpg

Features Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Ray Brown and Jake Hanna.
It's a compilation of two live albums this group did, which were - Seven Come Eleven and Jazz Concord.
Next purchases will be coated Weathermaster Heavy for the snare drum and VF AJ2 sticks. I wanna compare them to the 5a's I have now.

That's about it from me!

Elvis

I like using a paradiddle-diddle this way.......this guys video is not great quality....but a great use of the rudiment .....very affective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeCthax42Wc&feature=related

paradiddle-diddle comes up a lot in jazz for me......for instance as an uptempo comp....putting it between the ride cymbal and snare drum .....starting it on 2 as Elvin often would

and I must check out that recording..

Jake Hanna was such a beast

paradiddle-diddle comes up a lot in jazz for me......for instance as a uptempo comp....putting it between the ride cymbal and snare drum .....starting it on 2 as Elvin often would

I can't watch YouTube vids through my work network, but I am with you on the use of paradiddle-diddle in jazz. That's a trick I learned for dealing with really fast tempos, like Max would play back with Clifford. It's a cool-sounding way to give your hands a bit of a break without disrupting the flow. Another one is doubles between ride and snare, inverting it and changing where it starts, etc. #survivaltactics

I can't watch YouTube vids through my work network, but I am with you on the use of paradiddle-diddle in jazz. That's a trick I learned for dealing with really fast tempos, like Max would play back with Clifford. It's a cool-sounding way to give your hands a bit of a break without disrupting the flow. Another one is doubles between ride and snare, inverting it and changing where it starts, etc. #survivaltactics

check out the video when you get home 8.....real nice use of the paradiddle-diddle

it's nothing completely ground breaking ...but still really nice

it's just putting the last left on your foot and putting the 6 note phrase in a 16th note subdivision so it gives an over the barline feel

Back