Iron Cobra vs. DW 5000

drums32

Which is drum pedal is better?

i dont think theres a better!! all to do with preference!! my self, i am an Iron Cobra person :)

i went with iron cobra. they felt lighter, faster, and more sensitive. i was sold when i saw the two hard cases. the dw makes you separate the two parts of the hex shaft, while the tama lets you keep your length settings.

I prefer the iron cobra. Feels alot more solid to me. I dont like the little stub things sticking out though near the "toe" of the pedal.

i went with iron cobra. they felt lighter, faster, and more sensitive. i was sold when i saw the two hard cases. the dw makes you separate the two parts of the hex shaft, while the tama lets you keep your length settings.
HA HA !! You're gonna think I'm busting your chops, but I had EXACTLY the opposite feeling. I thought the IC was heavier, but that weight made for an increased impact in each stroke.

Also, I don't EVER take my double pedals apart, it takes TOO MUCH EXTRA TIME!! L0L!!! (I'm so damn lazy)

I fold them along the axis of the knuckles on the connecting shaft so the heel plates overlap and it fits just fine in my trap case with my other stuff.

The Tama Iron Cobra and the DW5000 drum pedals are based off the same pedal, the Camco drum pedal. Camco was a drum company that Tama and DW purchased collaboratively in the 70's. The two pedals have the same configurations, just under different names. Some people like one and not the other and vise versa, but technically they were made to be the same.

I own 3 DW 5000 double pedals, one is the original huge thing LOL I love them

I also play a Iron Cobra on a kit I use to practice with one of my bands. I love it too.

all I can say is you have to play them, and not against the rubber thing at the guitar center but on a drum and for a few minutes minimum. switch between them a few times. Keep in mind they may not be set up the same so you have to think about that as well. If you walk into the music store and tell them, you are here to buy a pedal today and it is between these two, they will let you play them. If not go somewhere else.

The Tama Iron Cobra and the DW5000 drum pedals are based off the same pedal, the Camco drum pedal. Camco was a drum company that Tama and DW purchased collaboratively in the 70's. The two pedals have the same configurations, just under different names. Some people like one and not the other and vise versa, but technically they were made to be the same.
They may have started the same, but now that I think about it they didn't, the DW had that godawful gigantic arrangement with the bent beater. I didn't even CONSIDER that P.O.S. What WERE they thinking??

I bought the Tama Camco double as a result of DW NOT having it together then. I've since moved on to the cam powered IC Power Glide and the 5000 Accelerator. I won't use a round sprocket pedal ever again.

I have an iron cobra and i love it. I've also played dw pedals too and they are just as good in my opinion.

i need help deciding, between i think the previous version of dw 5000 model used i think pretty cheap maybe like $200 or saving for a ic power glide, this would be my first double pedal so i have to pick one that would be good and last, im a beginner to double pedals im open to options

I'm an IC man myself too.

I've played DW and they feel good as well. I like the design of the IC. I like the way it collapses for transport, I like the built in tuning key, I like the plastic box it comes in. I like the price. It's the perfectly placed product. You can pay more but even a hardened pro will be happy when he sees an IC on an unfamiliar kit.

Davo

i find the dw 5000s are to stiff, and if you want to play faster, r cleaner, just save up for a powerglide, or even better axis longboard

thanks i im really leaning to the ic but i think the axis is too expensive but then again im like a foot size 13 so the long board would be handy i also have a tama kit so it would be nice having everything tama except my rack, i need some feedback please, any reviews about the pedals or comments.

thanks i im really leaning to the ic but i think the axis is too expensive but then again im like a foot size 13 so the long board would be handy i also have a tama kit so it would be nice having everything tama except my rack, i need some feedback please, any reviews about the pedals or comments.

To me unless TAMA is paying for you to endorse their products then having a pedal the same brand as the drums is not necessary. I play yamaha drums and DW pedals. Go with that feels best not what will match ;-)

i actually like the built,design, an look of the iron cobra but i haven't gotten a chance to try any of them only i old dw 5000 double which i felt it really slugish and i couldn't get much speed or rebound with it, but r axis really worth and im only beginning to learn how to double bass but i am foot size 13 so that brings us to the longboards

i actually like the built,design, an look of the iron cobra but i haven't gotten a chance to try any of them only i old dw 5000 double which i felt it really slugish and i couldn't get much speed or rebound with it, but r axis really worth and im only beginning to learn how to double bass but i am foot size 13 so that brings us to the longboards

I have the Axis A longboards double pedal and I LOVE it!!!!! I still need a lot of work on my double-bass technique but I found it easier to achieve double-strokes with it and it also allowed me to play faster doubles than the other pedals I tried (and I tried ALL of them - DW 5002/9002, Tama IC, Pearl Elims, Yamaha FD, Gibraltar, Trick, etc.). Incidentally, I also wear a size 13 shoe.

I've had mine for about a year and they've been great so far with no problems to report.

A very important point to keep in mind:
Pedal preference is strictly a feel-thing and it's very individual. Different strokes for different folks, with no pun intended, ANYBODY looking to buy new pedals should try out as many of them as they can for themselves before making a decision. Getting opinions from other drummers can be helpful, but definitely don't rely on them to make your decision (unless of course there's consistent reports about problems with a particular make/model).

Its all about personal feel. One isn't better than the other. Just some people prefer one and some the other. Personally i like the Pearl Eliminator =P. But I suggest going to a shop and comparing all the pedals in your range.

I like my DW 5000 Turbo. I tried the cobra and it worked well for me too. That said, it was the DW that came home with me. Key point is to spend some time and try both on an actual drum,

GJS

I like my DW 5000 Turbo. I tried the cobra and it worked well for me too. That said, it was the DW that came home with me. Key point is to spend some time and try both on an actual drum,

GJS
So you liked the Turbo, did you try it against the IC with the round sprocket, or the cam shaped sprocket. You might have given yourself a bad test if both pedals were not the same geometry.

They play TOTALLY different when the different sprockets are used.

I have a HELL of a time playing the round sprockets, but it took me A LOT of trial and error before I realized it. I wasn't aware of the different geometries offered by the pedal companies.

I explain the story in another thread right here on Drummer World:

Back