mixing up your heads

comesitclosetome

do most drummers use the same series head on all there drums?
i kinda switch it up to get different sounds out of my toms...
like just different thickness on the batter sides.
what do you all think?

I use al the same heads but, there are no rules so whatever you prefer, it's all good!

I'm starting to do the opposite really. Instead of having different heads for toms, snare, and bass, I'm going to use the same for all. It's been going on for years, and I'm going to try it. The head of choice right now is Evans G1 Coated. This allows for the entire kit to be as one instrument and not that modern studio-influenced series of separated sounds. Although I want something warm like Remo Fiberskyns for my other kit though, too bad Evans doesn't have anything like this yet.

Do what ever sounds right. There aren't any rules with this kind of thing. Trust me. But the idea is to just get a steady sound out of the toms. you want your whole set to flow with itself and the music you're playing. Thats the only guideline you really need to go by. Other than that just do what you need to to get the sound you like.

Just use whatever you think sounds best. I tend to mix mine up......I have Ambassadors on my 10 and 12 inch toms, and an Emperor on my 16. There aren't any rules, just use what you like.

Do what sounds right or best to you. Same with cymbals. No rules. Think outside the bun.

Do what ever sounds good. Also, I could never have one tom clear and the next coated. I am way too OCD for that.

P.s. Think outside the bun......nice gruntersdad. lol

The J1s don't come in enough size options for me. I want to put them on my Gretsch kit with 26,13,16,18 drums. The closest thing to J1s is Renaissance heads, and I'm not sure I want to gamble with Remos again.

Back