What's everyone running for bins?

Terrence R

Silver Member
Since all of our bottom end comes from them when playing on stage, just thought i'ld start a thread on bass bins. Its my absolutely favorite part of PA gear. What are u using and how do u like it kind of info.

I'm currently using 2 Yorkville LS800P powered bins. 1500 watts continuous. Pushing them together is where u can really feel the power. Though, one flaw to me is that they sound a little too boomy. Not enough thud.

But for that reason, I also run 2 passive Yamaha SW215vi subs. They are the complete opposite, not enough boom, but lots of punchy thud. I power them with a Yorkville AP4040, delivering 1200 watts continuous @4 ohms into each bin.

I am running just one LS801P and really love the sound. When we play bigger shows I rent a second.

I had to get the bass player to play the kit while I tuned the board/compressor to get it to sound nice. Took about 2 minutes of "boom boom thoom thoom thoump thoump thumd thumd thud thud THUD THUD"

I run my bin Aux fed ( Allen & Heath MixWiz3 16:2 ), so Kick and Bass guitar are all it really see's. I run all the controls on the back at 12 oclock if thats any help.

How big of rooms/crowds are you using the 4 bin solution for? How are you positionong/stacking your bins and mains?

I usually run the LS800P's in the centre, both pushed together, and the passive yamahas on each side of them. I've tryed ssooo many different setups. They seem to sound best to me with the freq all the way down and the contour all the way to deep minus an 1/8th. I also run an active crossover with the low end freq at 80.

I only use the 4 together at really large halls and outdoor events.
The LS801P that u have has some upgrades to the built in amp. Perhaps that is why yours sounds different.

I do like mine. I can live with the boom as long as I bring my yamaha's to fill in the punch.

Two Peavey sp218x's powered with a yamaha p7000 for clubs and small halls and I double it up for outdoor and/or indoor rink gigs.

Two Peavey sp218x's powered with a yamaha p7000 for clubs and small halls and I double it up for outdoor and/or indoor rink gigs.

Those are some really nice Earth Shakers! I had an oppurtunity to grab a couple for a decent price once. I really wish I had the extra cash at the time. Are they the 2800 watt ones?

Those are some really nice Earth Shakers! I had an oppurtunity to grab a couple for a decent price once. I really wish I had the extra cash at the time. Are they the 2800 watt ones?

They are rated at 1000w continuous, 2000w program and 4000w peak.
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/sp218x_specs.pdf

The p7000 amps are only 1000w per side @ 4ohms so I never have to worry about speaker damage and I use 2 to 4 sp2x tops on p4500 amps at 750w per side which give me a total of 3500w for the small shows or 7000w for the larger shows. Most times I am at 1/2 volume or less so the sound is very clean. Also every once and a while, if needed, I have a friend that is a DJ that uses the same set up as I do so we can pool our fronts for a total of 14,000w.

At the moment (and this is going to sound funny) a Leigon Sound 2x12 sealed guitar cabinet powered by a bridged Audio Centron RMA 1600 (800w beidged). Works wonderfully for the three or four times I use the PA system each year.

Back