Who else writes?

Frost

Silver Member
Not just music, anything, for pleasure, not for work.

Personally I write a lot of poetry, some stories, music as well. I've started a ton of books and never finished them, I'm looking forward to starting a Bachelor of Arts next year and hopefully doing something with it.

What will your focus be in when you do Arts, Frost?

Used to write a few lyrics. Also wrote a novel in the 90s that publishers sensibly rejected and wrote a kids' story (pitched at about age 10 to early teens) which was rejected because publishers considered the wizard in it too occult. Not long afterwards Harry Potter became a best seller.

Around 2004/5 I was writing a sci fi/fantasy story but I got distracted and by the time I got back to it, I decided the idea was good but was unhappy with my approach. I might revive it if I can workshop it with someone else; without other people questioning and challenging me I can easily lose my way ... hence my presence here :)

I've got a little black book with me poems in it.

Actually, I've got a few - they get filled up.

Sometime lyrics, sometimes gibberish, sometimes a journal, but an outlet for creative thought all the same. Sometimes pages, sometimes a single line.

With the exception of the stuff that comes out as lyrics, I have no idea if I'll ever use or share any of it.

So cool mate.........I've got a bag with a toothbrush and comb!!

Sorry for the hijack all.......couldn't help myself......caught by an irresistible urge to join in. :)

Love that song Jer. Thanks for the memories!

Me? Clearly all I can come up with via the written word is bollocks on an internet forum. Apols again all.....I'm off to build The Wall.

What will your focus be in when you do Arts, Frost?

Used to write a few lyrics. Also wrote a novel in the 90s that publishers sensibly rejected and wrote a kids' story (pitched at about age 10 to early teens) which was rejected because publishers considered the wizard in it too occult. Not long afterwards Harry Potter became a best seller.

Around 2004/5 I was writing a sci fi/fantasy story but I got distracted and by the time I got back to it, I decided the idea was good but was unhappy with my approach. I might revive it if I can workshop it with someone else; without other people questioning and challenging me I can easily lose my way ... hence my presence here :)

Literature/Creative writing, not doing music unfortunately.

Sounds like you've been pretty busy as a writer, I can only hope that one day I'll have something worth taking to a publisher. The bit about the wizard must really suck, I'd hate it if I put all that time and effort into writing something to have it get turned down at that stage over something like that. Sci-fi/Fantasy is kind of what I write as well, but it's very metaphorical, I tend to reflect a lot of personal struggles, problems with the world, in a fantasy approach.

Actually, I've got a few - they get filled up.

Sometime lyrics, sometimes gibberish, sometimes a journal, but an outlet for creative thought all the same. Sometimes pages, sometimes a single line.

With the exception of the stuff that comes out as lyrics, I have no idea if I'll ever use or share any of it.

I write lots of song lyrics, I have a solo project in the works, the good thing about having a solo project is that you get to do everything, drums, vocals, lyrics and it doesn't matter if you never perform live because it's impossible.

Literature/Creative writing, not doing music unfortunately.

Sounds like you've been pretty busy as a writer, I can only hope that one day I'll have something worth taking to a publisher. The bit about the wizard must really suck, I'd hate it if I put all that time and effort into writing something to have it get turned down at that stage over something like that. Sci-fi/Fantasy is kind of what I write as well, but it's very metaphorical, I tend to reflect a lot of personal struggles, problems with the world, in a fantasy approach.

Not "unfortunately" ... I enjoy dabbling in several non-musical (and musical) fields. If it's not work, then I'm keen :) I wrote stories for only a few years - less than on this site haha. I was a bit miffed about the wizard story but once I read Harry Potter it was fine. I was an instant fan.

Definitely agree with the metaphorical approach. The hard part is giving a clear message without being didactic, preachy or holier-than-thou. Mum was a writer and she used to say, "show, don't tell" so, rather than saying "Jer was a thrifty lad", you might instead say "Jer furtively dropped another ten cent piece in his piggy bank".

Solo projects are fun. I did a bunch of songs on a sequencer years ago (I couldn't play the other instruments). If you do a solo thing, I recommend getting friends to drop in tracks. I found it really enriched the songs ... actually some were really just a set up for my band's guitar player to stretch out in. Awesome player but his brilliance rarely came out during the band songs ... we had to be accessible and danceable for the pub crowd.

And do the poets here have any web-sized chunks of verse to share? I promise not to critique it - just it stand on its merits.

i've written a lot of poetry and half written a couple of novels. plus i've written three drum books (2 of them in the editing phase, one selling). here is a poem:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]SHAKA.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]There stood a king on a far off hill,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]A place the ‘Valley of the Thousand’ named,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In a time when antelope outnumbered man[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]And king George in distant England reigned.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]His skin was darker than iron wood,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]His flesh was hard as that wood in kind[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]And sharper than his terrible spear,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Were the battle workings of his mind.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In a leaf he saw the shape of a blade,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]In a bull’s head he saw troop formation,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]And so, from a subordinate tribe, he made[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Zulu such a mighty nation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]That others fled before his Impi[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]And even the gun-armed settlers were still.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Though nations lay between the Cape and his army,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The east wind scent was of fire and kill.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]And for all his cruelty and swathe of war,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Without him the past would thunder darker.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The great beetle of nNandi’s bellyful of shame -[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lift ten thousand shields and cry: ‘SHAKA!’[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Copyright © Jason Horsler[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]25/03/02[/FONT]

more here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id1.html

I've written a few things here and there. Apart from the obvious songs, I've started some stories and some lyrics for songs, all crap. The problem is that I'm never really motivated to do any writing (if indeed anything at all...). And the problem with the stories is that I never really have a plan for them and so really there isn't much in the way of what is actually going to happen, which is annoying because the beginnings are alright. It's just the idea of writing x number of pages that's annoying. I think I'm probably being a bit too ambitious. I should probably start off with something shorter.

Not "unfortunately" ... I enjoy dabbling in several non-musical (and musical) fields. If it's not work, then I'm keen :) I wrote stories for only a few years - less than on this site haha. I was a bit miffed about the wizard story but once I read Harry Potter it was fine. I was an instant fan.

Definitely agree with the metaphorical approach. The hard part is giving a clear message without being didactic, preachy or holier-than-thou. Mum was a writer and she used to say, "show, don't tell" so, rather than saying "Jer was a thrifty lad", you might instead say "Jer furtively dropped another ten cent piece in his piggy bank".

Solo projects are fun. I did a bunch of songs on a sequencer years ago (I couldn't play the other instruments). If you do a solo thing, I recommend getting friends to drop in tracks. I found it really enriched the songs ... actually some were really just a set up for my band's guitar player to stretch out in. Awesome player but his brilliance rarely came out during the band songs ... we had to be accessible and danceable for the pub crowd.

And do the poets here have any web-sized chunks of verse to share? I promise not to critique it - just it stand on its merits.

I'll message you a poem/lyrics if you'd like, I don't really put them up for anyone and everyone to read.

I get friends to help with the solo project from time to time, I'll have to when it comes to recording, mostly I just started it so I could write the music I wanted to hear, free of other voices telling me I can and can't do certain things, I like to be different, not accessible.

Would computer programs count?? They are not for work I just like to waste time seeing what i can do.

Back