So Frustrating trying to pick a new kit

OK - when you said you were considering C&C, I figured you'd be around that range.
https://memphisdrumshop.com/c-c-gladstone-drum-set-221216-ebony-oyster-ccgl223eoy

https://www.drumcenternh.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ludwig+Legacy+Mahogany+&cat=

Ludwig is $300 more for a new 22/13/16.
Not too many used ones around though, if you're looking for used.

That was my opinion too when I read the first post.

Thanks wildbill. Ive actually run across the Legacy Mahogany for less than the Gladstone and they are new but still a little higher I think. Depends on my bonus

OK - when you said you were considering C&C, I figured you'd be around that range.
https://memphisdrumshop.com/c-c-gladstone-drum-set-221216-ebony-oyster-ccgl223eoy

https://www.drumcenternh.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ludwig+Legacy+Mahogany+&cat=

Ludwig is $300 more for a new 22/13/16.
Not too many used ones around though, if you're looking for used.

That was my opinion too when I read the first post.

Mine too, but he keeps saying he wants mahogany. I'd love to see him post some videos of drum tones he likes. That would probably help.

The last thing I would do would be to buy a small custom brand that few people have heard of. When it comes time to sell, it will most likely be problematic. But that's just me.

Mine too, but he keeps saying he wants mahogany. I'd love to see him post some videos of drum tones he likes. That would probably help.

The last thing I would do would be to buy a small custom brand that few people have heard of. When it comes time to sell, it will most likely be problematic. But that's just me.

I’ll post some, let me dig up a few

I have read some positive reviews but also that they are really loud.

Saturn owner here, and that is absolutely not true. My kit (10, 12, 16, 22) was bought based on reading reviews, and I wanted a kit with a solid, punchy BD. A little over a year in and I couldn't be happier. With the factory fitted heads, the toms growl beautifully.

For the money (in Australia at any rate), I don't think there's anything that comes close.

Given the sound you’re looking for and the brands you put out there, I say Ludwig Classic Maple. Great drums that will do anything you need that are readily available with a range of finishes. I had a set and loved them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all.

Ive run across a deal that to me is too good to pass it up as long as its still there Friday. It wasnt even something I was considering but opens up so much more for me accessory wise. Ill post details once its secured.

Ive run across a deal that to me is too good to pass it up as long as its still there Friday. It wasnt even something I was considering but opens up so much more for me accessory wise. Ill post details once its secured.

It's only Monday, so that leaves us with plenty of time for guesses. I'll be first and guess...Tama Starclassic Maple?!?

Tomorrow is Friday! I have a wild hunch about which set you’re looking at, but I won’t spill it here just in case I’m right. My guess is based on a set I came across a few days ago that I think is a really good deal and the fact that it’s not something you put out there in your original list. (Op already said that, so I’m not putting his chance in jeopardy if I’m right)

Well?!!

I only signed up here today and I'm desperate to hear the final installment!

Sooo...

I ended up with a DW Performance Kit. The deal was just way too good to pass up (used)

- 18x22 Bass Drum
- 8x10 Tom
- 9x12 Tom
- 14x16 Floor Tom
- 6.5x14 Snare Drum

Plus double Tom holder, original welcome packet (almost makes it new HA) and the pillows which I think are standard anyway.

1375.00 total with shipping after Vics was nice enough to negotiate an even lower price than they had listed.

It was to me, just too good to pass up. I also added a new 14x14 floor to go with it.

Nice !
What colour will it be ?

Sooo...

I ended up with a DW Performance Kit. The deal was just way too good to pass up (used)

- 18x22 Bass Drum
- 8x10 Tom
- 9x12 Tom
- 14x16 Floor Tom
- 6.5x14 Snare Drum

Plus double Tom holder, original welcome packet (almost makes it new HA) and the pillows which I think are standard anyway.

1375.00 total with shipping after Vics was nice enough to negotiate an even lower price than they had listed.

It was to me, just too good to pass up. I also added a new 14x14 floor to go with it.

I was wrong with my guess. Congrats on the drums! Of course now we expect pictures and feedback once you get them.

Nice, I’ve always lusted after a set of DWs in exactly those sizes (well, maybe a 20” BD, but I’m not fussy) that in US$ Too? Bargain.

One day.

Looking forward the the pics.

Thanks, what was your guess? Im wondering if I ran across them anywhere?

I saw a gently used set of Gretsch USA Customs online for what i think it a really good price. It was a one off, so I thought it might be the one you were looking at.

Nice decision on the toms sizes on your kit. I love the two up, two down combo.

My son and I personally have a set of 1966 champagne Sparkle Ludwigs with a 1967 Acrolite snare and a speed king foot pedal for sale for 1700 USD. The set is in perfect working order. It belonged to a semi well known drummer at the time (70's) by the name of Doug Altman. 22/12/13/16. It's on Phila CL. Doug played (not these drums) with Bobby Sherman, Ricky Nelson, Linda Rondstat, and Souther Hillman and Furay. It was his personal stay at home set. Not that it means anything but it's a great true story that goes with them.

Here's a video of the exact set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4Ee7bGo-w

Last edited:
Back