Need New Resonant Heads - Looking for Mid/Low deep warm sound

Hey guys, so I'm looking for some new resonant drum heads.

I currently have Remo Black Suede Emperor heads as resonant heads and just put on Remo Pinstripes for my batter heads, and they sound ok, however I'm looking for a better sound.

My floor toms have too much echo, I don't mind a bit, but I like a nice "thud" and a deep tone (I use a 12x14 and 14x16)

I also have 7x10 and an 8x12 toms. Those sound OK but I'd like to get alittle deeper with the tones on them.

If you're familiar with Opeth, I really dig the toms on their former drummer, Martin Lopez kit.

Here's a clip of what I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAXLK0BhzE

Thanks guys!

You find pinstripes have too much echo (resonance/overtones)? I think you might have them too tight. Personally I find pinstripes or any 2 ply for that matter so dead with little or no attack that I cant use them. Anyway as for resonant heads most people use a singly ply like remo ambassador, evans g1 clear or aquarian classic clear no matter what they use for a batter. Hope this helps.

I feel that my resonant heads give out too much echo, the pinstripes aren't that tight.

If I were to stick with remo, you would recommend Clear Ambassadors?

I feel that my resonant heads give out too much echo, the pinstripes aren't that tight.

If I were to stick with remo, you would recommend Clear Ambassadors?

I really dont know what to recommend because any 2 ply on the batter really should not have too much "echo" no matter what you use for a resonant head.

Yeah I think you are too used to listening to EQed and compressed drums on records, real drums need to sound very lively to you if the audience is going to hear anything.

Thicker heads have longer sustain, your black suede emperors are 2 ply if I'm not mistaken. You can't really go wrong with a clear single ply head for reso heads, remo ambassador for instance. I currently use clear ambassadors for both batter and reso, which gives quite short sustain.

Coated vintage emperors over clear ambassadors should get you reasonably close to your desired tom sound.

Last edited:
Evans EQ Resonant are good for tuning to a lower note, as the muffling ring trims away a few higher pitch overtones, resulting in a lower pitch.

If you want to stick with Remo I'd also suggest Ambassadors. Medium weight single-ply heads are pretty much the standard bottom head because of their versatility and tone. Any sort of coating will warm up and shorten the sustain, so you might want to go with coated or suede Ambassadors instead of clear.

However, I've got to agree with those that have already mentioned you're never going to get a sound like what you hear on an album on a real set of drums, no matter the head combo.

I thought I'd add a tip regarding the floor tom sustain (a gavin harrison tip).

Drop an O-ring inside the tom, so that it rests on the reso head. I personally didn't quite like it because it reduces the presence of the reso head, but it does shorten the sustain.

But I need to try it further, I imagine having the batter head tuned to the desired overall note, and having the reso tuned lower with an O-ring on would produce a very resonant and clean tone. Has anyone tried this by the way? Sorry if I'm going off topic... :)

Everything I've ever tried to reduce sustain through doing things to the resonant head has resulted in an unnatural boxyness to the drum.

I think 99% of the time any weird or unwanted overtones in a drum's sound is a result of imperfections in the tuning of the heads. Many try to tune floor toms SO low it is very hard to hear the pitch at the lug well enough to make sure the head is in tune with itself, let alone in tune with the head on the opposite side.

I'd recommend checking out the Evans EC Resos for exactly the type of sound you're describing. They offer more of a focused town with accentuation in the mid-to-low frequency range. These heads pair up well with any head, but sound unbeatable with EC2S batter heads.

Cheers!

Howdy. Newbie here working toward tuning my ear as much as my drums.

I have found it helpful to have somebody else play my kit, and to stand about 25 or 30 feet away to hear what the kit "really sounds like". Ideally in a room full of people.

It will hit you very differently than when you're on top of the kit.

Anyway, try to interpolate both vantage points and experiment with heads based on manufacturer's descriptions and advice from folks like you'd find here.

How about a coated Diplomat?

Good tip, that is.

I have gotten my roommate to hit the toms and kick so I can hear what it sounds like from a distance.

This thread is a few months old, though I just saw it was revived and wanted to chime in. The new Evans Black Chrome series completely fits your description of optimal tone. They have a very deep, full sound. They're great for more progressive styles of music (Tomas Haake happens to be a big fan of 'em). Here's the details: http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=549&productname=Black_Chrome

Cheers!

i think i found the next set of tom heads i want to try on my old Tama Rockstar DX :D

I put the Evans EC Resonant heads on the bottoms of my Gretsch Catalina toms. I first had clear G2's on top, which sounded great behind the kit. I have switched to single ply heads, and they still sound great. To me the EC Resonant is the best reso head for me for any batter head. They take out a little of the high pitched ring but still provide very good sustain. Peace and goodwill.

IMO if your looking for that deep thud type sound go try out the Evans Hydraulic batter heads...These are a twin ply head with a small amount of oil inbetween, they give that fat thuddy 70's/80's rock sound...Ive used these myself with good results..I also used the Remo Pinstripes with Zero Rings to get a similar sound. You will loose some of the resonance/ring tho....Good Luck

Back