Question about a rack & mounting.

icedgreece

So, I finally bought my rack. So far, I love it, but the only problem is, I don't think I can fit the toms.

The guy at the store might have misunderstood me, but I wanted to get my toms off my bass drums and attach them to the rack. In either case, I don't have the proper fittings to attach them to the clamps.

This is the kit.

P1060361.jpg

Right side.

P1060362.jpg

Left Side.

P1060363.jpg

Now, here's the spaces I have to fit a 8", 10", 12", and 14" tom. (8" and 10" on left, 12" and 14" on right)

Left.

P1060364.jpg

Right.

P1060365.jpg

So, as you can see, it will be very tight. I'm not sure if I should buy a 2 foot extension for the very right hand side, move the China and Ride over, leaving me more room for the toms? Or do you think I can adjust the cymbals, and be able to fit the toms in? For the left side, there may be enough room, but I'm not sure. I have no idea how a mount for a tom would work, since I'm thinking of buying 4 separate clamps then attaching the toms.

What would you guys recommend? I think I'll have to push the rack back a bit to make the toms a comfortable distance, which is no big deal.

Thanks.

Edit* Just realized, theres absolutely no room for my 14" tom to fit. It is either too low and rattling on the bass drum or too high. God damn. I have no idea on what to do, because either way it will be awkward.

* For those of you have a keen eye, you may notice my Resonant for my left kick is teared. Don't worry, I bought new ones. Just haven't gotten to cutting the holes and installing them.

Last edited:
Get your rack more centered and hang two racks above 1 kick, and 2 racks above the other .... you may ... or may not want to add a side (3rd) rail ....​

Attachments

• north.jpg
    north.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 141
Your 14 depth is the x factor of whether my advice is correct or not.
You may have to move cymbals an inch or two, but you have plenty of room.

Hmm. Looks like you need to get the proper mounting hardware for each tom (each one will mount on it's own clamp), then add your cymbals to the equation because those are more flexible in how you mount them. I don't think you need to add more rack. In fact, the rack can be small and take up much less space (think about how Simon Phillips uses his rack - his whole kit takes up much less space than if he used floor mounted stands).

Hmm. Looks like you need to get the proper mounting hardware for each tom (each one will mount on it's own clamp), then add your cymbals to the equation because those are more flexible in how you mount them.

What Bo said..

Get the toms up first (with appropriate hardware) and then add you cymbals. If you are patient enough, you will find the clamps on the bay. The holders are a little harder to come by used.

If you really need to keep costs down you could buy a clamp for your double tom arm and cut its' shaft down. That would take care of your 8 and 10.

Get your rack more centered and hang two racks above 1 kick, and 2 racks above the other .... you may ... or may not want to add a side (3rd) rail ....​

Here's the thing.

P1060364.jpg

If you notice, the center leg of the rack is not permitting me to move at all. Unless I want to make it uncomfortable for my right bass drum.

Your 14 depth is the x factor of whether my advice is correct or not.
You may have to move cymbals an inch or two, but you have plenty of room.

Alright. Probably will. Guess we'll find out!

Hmm. Looks like you need to get the proper mounting hardware for each tom (each one will mount on it's own clamp), then add your cymbals to the equation because those are more flexible in how you mount them. I don't think you need to add more rack. In fact, the rack can be small and take up much less space (think about how Simon Phillips uses his rack - his whole kit takes up much less space than if he used floor mounted stands).

Yeah, I added them for the shits and giggles. Out of excitement, I guess.

What Bo said..

Get the toms up first (with appropriate hardware) and then add you cymbals. If you are patient enough, you will find the clamps on the bay. The holders are a little harder to come by used.

I can just buy them new. There's 3 or 3 big music stores in town so I'm sure they'll have them. I'm willing to pay a little extra.

If you really need to keep costs down you could buy a clamp for your double tom arm and cut its' shaft down. That would take care of your 8 and 10.

Well, clamps are $30 a piece, but since it'll more of a permanent setup I'd rather pay the extra cost and get two separate clamps.

How do the tom mounts work? Like is there a picture of one tom being mounted on a rack?

Thanks guys.

How do the tom mounts work? Like is there a picture of one tom being mounted on a rack?

Thanks guys.

Just like the clamps you have for your cymbals - you would get a new clamp for each tom, and each clamp will get it's own tom arm that fits your particular tom mount. So figure $60 per tom to mount it on the rack. It'll be worth it, really.

You have 2 options:

1) get one of these and one of these for each tom you want to mount. Each tom would have it's own mount on the rack and you have the most flexibility for placement.

2) get one of these for each of the dual mounts that came with your kit (the ones that attach to the bass drums). You will probably need to cut the downtube shorter so it doesn't bang into your bass drums.

If she's got a good rack, you mount her.

Back