MB's Random Question Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 4" painters tape, my SS doesn't sound dead at all.

Of course it does... That's what it's literally designed for, sounding dead and not being loud. Damping it more (with huge tape) might make the nasty high overtones from those heads take a back seat but you're not really adding tone, nor are you giving it more resonance; the opposite, in fact.

If you were to play against any sort of music your toms would not be heard by anyone except perhaps yourself.

I'm unsure why you're fighting the concept and trying to make them be something they aren't.

Whatever you say, brother.

There are no overtones with SS heads and the tape isn't for damping.

Re: Whatever you say, brother.

There are no overtones with SS heads and the tape isn't for damping.

Well, there can be. I've heard them, I sat down at a kit in a teaching studio that had them just recently. I guess it depends on what drum and the other head tuning as well, but the SS take the body out of everything and all I hear really left are some slight overtones and the attack of the stick. Probably most of what I'm hearing are the tones from the reso head, and they certainly don't last long due to the SS killing the sympathetic head response.

What's the tape for if it doesn't damp the head? I was in fact very surprised to hear someone would put anything on those heads. As you mention, on their own, they're a very dead thud sound.

That does work great. Sometimes the Silentstrokes do their job too well and this really livens them up just enough.

I was extremely disappointed with them until I discovered that.

That make virtually no sound on their own.

Actually this tape on silent stroke heads idea might be useful if I wanted to use my home practice kit at a gig without changing the drum heads. But it would have to be a gig that requires a very quiet set of drums.

I use silent stroke heads so that I don't annoy my neighbors when I practice at home. Gee, I learned I can put tape on my silent drum heads, make them sound a little better and annoy my neighbors. COOL. Thanks MasterBlaster! LOL

I plan on giving the low volume cymbals the same treatment, see if it works. It may not.

The tape doesn't make them THAT loud, Jim. I was banging on then at 11 PM last night, no problemo.

I don't use the SS kick head - I use the Vic Firth kick mute for that.

Wot the hail???

Why in the world would a such a high-end company like Sonor put the seam in such a visible place? Why not the bottom???

Is this normal?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 251
IMO this a a failure (and a big one).
And the finish is awful, but just personal taste.

You mean the seam?

I don't care about the finish - are seams like this on all their wraps?

How about concert toms - are they strictly louder and that's about it?

I assume by the name it means volume and a lot of it.

Why does a drummer want a full kit of concert toms?

Uhhhhhh....

But don't they put that on the bottom? Or are there more than one seam?

More likely it's not a wrap and it's an outer ply of burl for aesthetics. I'm guessing the seam location is a (costly) mistake, at least to me. I'd consider that kick B stock. Putting the outer ply seam at the bottom is elementary, and I'd expect more attention to detail from a high end Sonor.

Isn't an 'outer ply of burl' a wrap? I mean, it's a veneer, right? Isn't a veneer wrapped around a shell?

Isn't an 'outer ply of burl' a wrap? I mean, it's a veneer, right? Isn't a veneer wrapped around a shell?
Well, then aren't all plywood drums just a series of wraps beyond the first ply?

I'm not incredibly well versed in Sonor's construction methods, but I'd wager it's bit more intensive than just slapping a burl veneer on an otherwise finished shell. The outer ply is probably as integrated in the construction as all of the rest.

I thought they used Alpi veneers, but I'm not knowledgeable enough with their gear to definitively say they do. It almost looks like a reverse book-matched veneer.
Either way though, you would think the seem would be on the bottom.

Personally I kind of like the mirror-image effect in the grain match up there.

Seems intentional to me. If it were me, I'd put a thin strip of black or chrome there to really enhance the effect.

I've seen "artisan" tables and wood furniture made with this theme as a main feature... I do see an appeal in the nature-assisted artistic expression kind of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back