Rail Consolette

Crydevil

Hello everyone,

I have a small question regarding a Ludwig Ratchet Rail Consolette.
The question: where the hell do you find a good one? :p

I've been searching on eBay and other websites like it, but didn't find anything that was in good shape or complete, or both.

If anyone would know a good place to search for these, I would be so grateful :D.

PS: Why don't they make them anymore ? -_-

Thanks in advance !
Greets !

Hello everyone,

I have a small question regarding a Ludwig Ratchet Rail Consolette.
The question: where the hell do you find a good one? :p

I've been searching on eBay and other websites like it, but didn't find anything that was in good shape or complete, or both.

If anyone would know a good place to search for these, I would be so grateful :D.

Thanks in advance !
Greets !

Ebay is pretty much your only bet. Just keep looking and you'll come upon one eventually, however, it might cost you a pretty penny depending on the condition and who wants one at the time. I have seen a NOS one go for $200. So trying to get one in mint might be out of your range.

I know it sucks they don't make them anymore, I vastly prefer them to the middle tom mounts that are big and bulky, and take up a nice big hole in the bass drum. The rail mounts also give any kit a classy, vintage look to it.

RCI Vistalite offered an exact knockoff... until recently. :( It was $170, but considering they often go for more on ebay, that wasnt such a ridiculous price for a brand new piece. Nothing on their site anymore about it though.

You might also consider buying a complete kick - any condition - just to get the part if it's attached. Then again, someone else may be thinking the same thing, and the price could still go past $200.

I lucked out recently and found a nearly complete one on ebay for $90, so hang in there.

Bermuda

...is this something like what you are looking for ?

I am not sure what drum this is from, or where I picked it up. It could be from a Gretsch, Ludwig, or a cheap, generic Japanese kit. This is the only part that I have, and I have no use for it. If it is something that you could use, let me know.

Barry

I am not sure what drum this is from, or where I picked it up. It could be from a Gretsch, Ludwig, or a cheap, generic Japanese kit. This is the only part that I have, and I have no use for it. If it is something that you could use, let me know.

Barry
That sure looks like the one on my 71' Ludwig kit. It's incomplete, but it could be a start.

Last edited:
The Gibraltar ia absolutely NOT a replacement for the old consolettes; too bulky, and you'll need to drill an extra hole or two.

The Gibraltar ia absolutely NOT a replacement for the old consolettes; too bulky, and you'll need to drill an extra hole or two.

...Bermuda is right.

This is what the Gibralter rail mount looks like.

But you can streamline it a little if you have the right parts.

Or you can go for something a little less obnoxious

I know that the older style of rail mounts will always be preferred by the purists, but I am happy with mine.

I am going to look for some parts in an electrical or instrumentation supply shop to see if I can modify the rail that I had pictured in my first reply into a usable mount. I think that some kind of conduit clamps or tubing anchors could work. If so, I will post some pics.

barry

Last edited:

Yeah you're probably right, but on the other hand I'd rather fit a modern rail. Gibraltar specifically say that the screw spacing on their new rail is designed to match most vintage drums; obviously we don't know how true that is, but I'd rather go with modern hardware as opposed to the vintage. I love the old drums, but the hardware is where the big leaps have been in the last thirty years.

I think they look rather nice actually. I would consider putting one on my drums if I had the money.

Maybe why(?) should they make them anymore. One of the biggest mods Ludwig players did was drill extra holes in the kick drum to relocate the rail. Another was to swap the Ludwig rail consolette out for a Rogers swivomatic (example, John Bonham). People who restore vintage drums want vintage parts, mostly. Certainly enough people have given it a go (re-issue substitute thang) and given up. Play the eBay game, buy a part here, there, soon you'll have a complete unit. You can try looking for adds in Not-So-Modern-Drummer. Plenty of places sell parts. 15 minutes on google and I found most all the parts, and I'm not building one.

Gibraltar specifically say that the screw spacing on their new rail is designed to match most vintage drums; obviously we don't know how true that is

I tried to go that route, and I assure you that Gibraltar doesn't fit the Ludwig hole spacing. I guess their concept of 'most' vintage drums doesn't include Ludwig.

It would have been very simple to use a slot for one of the mounting holes, so that various hole spacing on the shell could be accommodated. I sent mine back and pursued the real deal, eventually getting an exact replacement.

Bermuda

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I've read some very useful stuff, thank you.

But indeed, maybe I should just keep looking for a good old vintage one on eBay. Because the new ones aren't much compared to the vintage ones indeed.

Thanks everyone !

Greets !

Barry

Yes Barry, that's actually exaclty what I'm looking for :D, only a rail like that WITH the mount-piece which is attached to it. (or how do you call the thing attached to the rail? :p)

So I'm hoping to find a complete one some day in a good state.

Thanks man !

Greets !

I know that this is an old thread, but this might help someone looking for a replacement rail mount.

rail-consolette-holder-p-3745.html

This rail mount is available at: http://www.maxwelldrums.com/rail-consolette-holder-p-3745.html

You can also buy single parts such as the diamond plate, spades and L bracket.

Hope this helps someone.

Back