swithing to evans from remo

fmass92

I just bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom, and I figured I would give Evans heads a try. I'm not that familiar with the equivalents of Remo/Evans, and I just want to make sure of a few things:

Remo Emperors = Evans G2
Remo Ambassadors = Evans G1 ... right?

Also, what is a good batter/snare side head for my snare?

Right. An Evans hazy 300 (means 3 mil thick mylar) is the equivilant of an Ambassador snare side.
I'm an evans guy too except the snare, I like coated emps.

If, like me, you're not too great at tuning i'd HIGHLY recommend the Evans Hydraulic head. They don't even need 'tuning' as such, they sound good straight out the box.

Warm resonance with a short sustain.

xoxo

I think you will be very happy with the switch. I switched and never looked back, they are great drum heads.

I just bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom, and I figured I would give Evans heads a try. I'm not that familiar with the equivalents of Remo/Evans, and I just want to make sure of a few things:

Remo Emperors = Evans G2
Remo Ambassadors = Evans G1 ... right?

Also, what is a good batter/snare side head for my snare?

I made the switch to Evans back in the 90's. They are great heads. I like the hazy 300 on the snare side and the ST Dry on the batter side of my snare.
As far as toms go, I use G1's on the bottom and G Plus on the batter side. The G Plus are right in between the G1 & G2, they are one 12 mil ply. I really like them.

I dont know,my fellow jersey drummer...............I have Stage Customs 8,10,12,14 with a 20" Bass and they have Remo Powerstroke 3s on the toms.Im telling ya those drums sing.with those heads on.Either way you made a great kit choice,Best bang for the buck IMHO.........

Switched from Aquarian to Evans 2 months ago, except for Remo on the snare.

Tried the G2's, too muffled for my liking. The EC2's have really brought alot of sharp tones out of the toms, high and low. I really love these heads and can't see myself every getting anything different.

WHOOPS! I meant to say I tried the EC2'S and THEY were too muffled. I switched to G2'S, which are friggin great

Last edited:
I made the switch to Evans back in the 90's. They are great heads. I like the hazy 300 on the snare side and the ST Dry on the batter side of my snare.
As far as toms go, I use G1's on the bottom and G Plus on the batter side. The G Plus are right in between the G1 & G2, they are one 12 mil ply. I really like them.

Would you mind giving us a more in-depth opinion/review of the G Plus heads? There are a few raves on here about their being excellent reso heads, not much has been said about them as batters though. Start a new thread if you don't want to discuss here. Thanks!

Would you mind giving us a more in-depth opinion/review of the G Plus heads? There are a few raves on here about their being excellent reso heads, not much has been said about them as batters though. Start a new thread if you don't want to discuss here. Thanks!

I suppose I can see why they would be a popular choice for reso heads being that they're single ply. I don't know when I decided this but I think single ply heads are the way to go for both top and bottom. I think they have a better tone to them compared to 2 ply heads. If you want your toms to ring out a little less, try thicker heads.
I've tried a lot of different heads from Evans on the toms. Here are some specs for you.

G1 - 10 mil single ply
G Plus - 12 mil single ply
G2 - 2, 7 mil plies
EC1 - 14 mil single ply w/Edge Control Ring
EC2 - 2, 7 mil plies w/Edge Control Ring

I tried to arrange these in order from most open to least open in terms of how "ringy" each head is. The G2's and EC1's are pretty close to each other but I think I got it right.
I tried the G1's on the batter before and I loved the sound but they just weren't practical for my use from a durability stand point. I can't afford to buy new heads every few weeks. I used G2's for a while and why they were more durable, I thought they still lost they're tone too early in their life. I tried the EC1's and really liked them. They had a really full tone and it took them a long time to play out. When it came time to replace them, I decided that I wanted a head that rang out a little more, so I tried the G Plus.
The G Plus heads are really great. Like I said in my earlier post, they are right between the G1 and G2 as far as their tonal characteristics. They still provide a fatter sound like the G2 but ring out a little more. They open up like a G1 but with a slightly bigger tone and are certainly more durable. The EC1's lasted for about a year. I've had the G Plus heads on since Thanksgiving and I see no reason to replace them yet. I practice with my band once a week for 3 hours and play 3-4 gigs a month (4 hour shows) so I'm feeling pretty good about how long they're lasting me. I'm still a little up in the air between the EC1's and the G Plus. I wish they made a single ply 14 mil head without the edge control ring. I would definitely buy that.

Last edited:
I have compared evans to remo at the same moment (g2coated vs emperor coated and g2clear to emporer clear) and I will tell you evans are brighter than remo. Not bad or good, just brighter. Remo have a deeper darker sound, not by alot but you can tellWorkmanship on all was A+.

Is it just me or am i going a bit nuts because GENERALLY i prefer Remo for snare heads and Evans on toms and bass heads. Could prove troublesome for anyone who endorses either and agrees with this or the other way round. Liking Evans' snare heads and Remo's tom and bass heads.

I love the pinstripes, ambassador, emperor, suede and powerstrokes on snares by Remo and by Evans for me it's pretty much just the G2 and Onyx, that may change once i try a few more but even so i really like a lot of Remo's snare heads.
xoxo

Is it just me or am i going a bit nuts because GENERALLY i prefer Remo for snare heads and Evans on toms and bass heads.

There are no rules in music... and your choice of sound/instrument to express yourself and your creativity.

I have compared evans to remo at the same moment (g2coated vs emperor coated and g2clear to emporer clear) and I will tell you evans are brighter than remo. Not bad or good, just brighter. Remo have a deeper darker sound, not by alot but you can tellWorkmanship on all was A+.

interesting I actually find the exact opposite. I find remo to be a little brighter and evans to be a little deeper.

If, like me, you're not too great at tuning i'd HIGHLY recommend the Evans Hydraulic head. They don't even need 'tuning' as such, they sound good straight out the box.

Warm resonance with a short sustain.

xoxo

Putting hydraulics on a birch kit really doesn't do much justice to all the nice bright wood that was just paid for. In all honesty if you are going to be a drummer you need to know how to properly tune your kit.

There are no rules in music... and your choice of sound/instrument to express yourself and your creativity.

Hence why i said 'generally'. I've just sort of discovered that recently.
xoxo

Hence why i said 'generally'. I've just sort of discovered that recently.
xoxo

Oh, ok and i hear you and yes you could be swayed by the 'law of averages'. i'd rather be me than an average of everyone else. Peni, NEVER be afraid to do what is musically deep inside of you. Let it out, cherish it, and remember...

(hopefully you know who Michael Jordan is)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc

Back