Aquarian vs Evans muffled bass heads

So, what's the main difference between that Powersonic and the Powerstroke heads?

Thanks for answering all these questions, everybody. Trying to catch up on what I've missed and I greatly appreciate it!

According to Remo, the Powerstroke 3 "features a thin underlay at the outer edge of the head to subtly dampen unwanted overtones." It's similar to the concept of Pinstripes. The Powersonic has more muffling, with two fixed foam rings inside the head, and a pad on the bottom that you can snap on or off depending on your preference. I always left it on.

Just a quick heads up since I don't know if the word has spread yet...but we (at Evans) just launched a new version of the EMAD called the GMAD. It uses the 12mil film from the G Plus to create a slightly thicker version of the original EMAD. For those that prefer a single-ply bass head, but might want more punch, low-end, durability, and a slightly firmer feel... but without sacrificing depth...this might be an option worth considering.

It also incorporates an improved version of the EMAD ring...a slight design change that permanently fixes the cracking issue that some players have experienced.

Just thought you'd all like to know about the new option...

Great forum BTW...everyone seems really helpful.

Thanks,
Mike Robinson
Evans Senior Product Manager

Hmm. Not really planning on miking, just playing for fun but I want to control the ring and get a nice dry thump.

If you're talking about the sound in your practice room, you can use anything that pleases you. And a "nice dry thump" will be suitable for miking. However, if you play out unmiked with anything louder than a jazz trio, "a nice dry thump" will never be heard from the audience. To cut through a band unmiked you need booooom. Which is to say, sustain.

I've tried all three, and, while they're all going to help muffle the bass drum, my favorite is the Remo Powersonic. For me, it seemed to give me the best balance between muffling the ring and preserving some of the overtones.

To my ears, this is the softest, deadest bass drum head I've ever heard, even softer than the Aquarians. Perfect for triggering, I suppose. To each his own, of course, but to spend good money for tone and then muffle it up to the point where there isn't any seems, well, odd.

Just a quick heads up since I don't know if the word has spread yet...but we (at Evans) just launched a new version of the EMAD called the GMAD. It uses the 12mil film from the G Plus to create a slightly thicker version of the original EMAD. For those that prefer a single-ply bass head, but might want more punch, low-end, durability, and a slightly firmer feel... but without sacrificing depth...this might be an option worth considering.

It also incorporates an improved version of the EMAD ring...a slight design change that permanently fixes the cracking issue that some players have experienced.

Thanks,
Mike Robinson

Thanks for that, Mike. Buncha questions:

Will Evans make it available without the EMAD ring? Got no use for that, but intrigued by a thicker one-ply head.

Might Evans ever offer the EC1, EC2, and G-plus with a real sprayed-on coating? The frosty "coating" is slappy and plasticky sounding to my ears, and doesn't add the warmth you expect from a coating--just dullness. All of the above heads are vastly superior in their clear versions. If you offered the G-plus with a real coating I'd be all over them.

Finally, when does the EC-bass come out? ;-)

Thanks,
Mike Robinson

Good to know. This sounds pretty good, no? A lot of people have been suggesting the EMAD, but I've also read about the ring cracking. Plus, I like the idea of a firmer feel but with a lower tone.

I'll have to check this out.

While you are here. Can you please bring back the open/closed bright/dark drumhead matrix on your website?

Wayne

Thanks,
Mike Robinson

While you are here. Can you please bring back the open/closed bright/dark drumhead matrix on your website?

Wayne

I SECOND THAT!!!! That was the most helpful at-a-glance drumhead choosing tool of any company!

We're thinking about doing a G Plus bass head...we'll see. Not sure what the demand would be, but we're open to the idea. As for the coating issue...the frosted is exactly the same chemistry and application technique as the standard white coating. The only difference is the lack of titanium dioxide (the white). We've done comparitive testing and there's really no difference in sound between the two...it's just a cosmetic difference. It's interesting to know that people think there's a difference though...perceptions are not to be underestimated in this business.

As for the removal of the Sound Spectrum Charts when we launched the new website...we realize that people really liked those, but we have something coming that's even easier. The basic site relaunch was just phase 1...we're working on other things and we'll have new charts up as soon as we can.

We really appreciate the honest feedback...on all fronts. It helps us to know what people are really thinking...and I appreciate the positive sentiments toward Evans. I've been doing this gig for almost 12 years now...so it's pretty close to my heart.

Thanks,

Mike

As for the coating issue...the frosted is exactly the same chemistry and application technique as the standard white coating. The only difference is the lack of titanium dioxide (the white). We've done comparitive testing and there's really no difference in sound between the two...it's just a cosmetic difference. Thanks,

Mike

I have said this before but........... I Much prefer the coating without the TIo2.

Back