Is there a thinner hickory stick than a 7A?

I can handle the rods on drums OK I guess, I still don't like them...but it's the cymbal tones they make that make me want to hurl them at something.

I am not a percussionist. I can't/won't do congas. I don't want to hit anything with my hands. If I can't use sticks and some footpedals, I'm not there.

I once recorded an entire album for a singer/songwriter using nothing but hotrods (and the occasional brushes) at his behest. He wanted to go for a "quiet sound, like MTV Unplugged." I hated the sound of those recordings and told him I felt most of the songs would be better served with sticks, but he wasn't interested.

Later, I made a home recording of one of the songs - just a quick cover-type recording - using regular sticks, and let him listen. He finally saw what I was talking about. But it was too late.

I don't mind hotrods and such for specialty sounds, but I don't like them for "playing quietly" either.

I used to go into Billy Hyde's and seek out the lightest drum sticks in the shop to compensate for the fact that I was trying to adjust to lounge and light jazz with rock klutz hands. I started with Vic Firth Kid Sticks - I actually managed to get used to them but not recommended for adults (though they were high quality for what they were).

I tried dozens of 7As and easily the best extra light 7A I've tried were the Zildjian Artist Series Bill Stewart signature 7As. Didn't see them in the shop for a year before it shut down. Not sure if they're still being made .... I probably should be writing to Zildjian about it.

In anticipation of my fave sticks being phased out (according to Murphy's Law) I'm currently acclimatising to Boso 7A bamboo sticks, which are so light that they require adjustment even after using the Bill Stewarts.

Apart from hoping to get set with a stick that won't get phased out 5 minutes after I form a bond with it, a good thing about bamboo is it's very hard and tough and the bead seems to be staying firm for longer than hickory. The downside is it doesn't draw some of the rich deeper tones from the drums and ride, so a better bet for sensible drummers (haha) would be the light Boso Strata 5As, which have a bit more weight behind them.

Not sure if the $14.50 is expensive for you. Even with the shipping costs to Oz they were a tad cheaper than the sticks in Hydes.

Not sure if the $14.50 is expensive for you. Even with the shipping costs to Oz they were a tad cheaper than the sticks in Hydes.

If I add sticks on to an online order with no shipping charge, I can get them for $7 or so. Bought locally they are $10-$12 usually. I'd like to try those Boso sticks, but can't bring myself to pay $14.50 plus shipping. Especially until I see how they hold up. I know bamboo is hard, but hardness isn't the only factor in durability.

I'm hoping to see them in shops before too long, but nothing so far.

I have had one maple stick break on me ever.

Vater has the Bebop 500 and 525, which are traditional 16" long sticks in .500 and .525 inch diameter, in both hickory & sugar maple. That might be right up your alliey.

Here are from left to right Regal Tip 7A, Zildjian 7A Dip, and Vic Firth Peter Erskine

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 7,637
Have you thought about timbale sticks?

Have you thought about timbale sticks?

Actually, I didn't know they made dedicated timbale sticks. I would absolutely consider a timbale stick, and every other thin stick offering, and see which one is best for me. I don't even know what timbale sticks look like, or how they are shaped. I'll google them. The Peter Erskine stick looks kind of thick to me, but I do like the tip.

Thanks John for the pic....Hey are you still Mayor? Can you be both Administrator and Mayor? I need some clarification your excellency.

You are welcome. I didn't mention those three sticks are within mm of being the same diameter. As far as being Mayor, since I have gotten a gold watch and a kiss good bye I guess I still am. Titles mean nothing though, let's talk cash.

Hmmm like playing with 2 butt ends. No, I'd need a tip for my ride and hats, so I guess timbale sticks are out. But thanks anyway. Now I know there are timbale sticks.

Back