broken wrist

bmeat

so I broke my ulna bone in my wrist. this sucks. will it ever be the same again?

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that.
I've broken my hand about 15 years ago. It took some time to recover after the cast was removed. A couple of months if I remember it well. I had physiotherapy and did exercises to make it supple again. It takes time, rest and the right exercises. And I only feel it sometimes when very tired. It will give you some setback but your drumming will come back as before after training it again. Hope this helps a little bit. Wish you a quick recovery!

Ha! You too? (sorry, I know it's a bummer)

I broke my wrist about a month ago, one of them little roundy bones in there somewhere ... don't remember which one. But. I didn't need a cast and have been drumming on it since about a week after it happened. I guess I was lucky. Actually, the arm I broke about a month before that was about as devastating - which is to say not at all! It didn't need a cast either and I've been drumming on it, too.

Maybe your damage was worse (sounds like it if you need a cast), and I'm no doctor, but I suspect that after a little down time to heal and working yourself back into it slowly enough to avoid pain and reinjury and you'll be as good as new.

I've broken both of my wrists, and have had to use casts and braces. The best advice I can give you is to be patient. Don't drum on it until you don't have to wear a cast or a brace. I don't have any limited range of motion or anything, but I didn't wait when I broke my left wrist, and I still feel pain because of it.

sorry to hear about your wrist man. like everyone said, just gotta let it heal and do the exercises. but on the bright side a little down time never hurt anyone but you can always work on your feet or discover some new music and inspiration!

to anyone who cares, I've somehow managed to sublux/dislocate my druj joint and break the styloid off of my ulna, where wrist ligaments and the ecu tendon attaches. an articulate disc and meniscus also sit there which is at the center of the tfcc.

I sustained a tfcc injury, had an mri, but since the soft tissues are so small in the wrist (the whole soft tissue complex is about the size of a dime and sits between the ulna bone and the hand on the pinky side, above the bump on the forearm) they couldn't see the extent of the damage without dye.

I wish my ulna bone would have just broken instead of the joint.

Last edited:
I suffered a very bad broken right wrist 2 years ago. Broke the distal radius off at the wrist, fractured a wrist bone, chipped of the top of the ulna at the wrist, dislocated the broken radius through the pronator quadratus muscle and dislocated my hand up into my arm. Had to have a plate and 7 screws put it to fix the radius.

Be patient and do whatever therapy they tell you to do!! I didn't pick up a stick in my right hand until my hand therapist said I could (till then I played rick allen style). At that point start back slow, playing only a few minutes gradually building the strength and muscles back up again.

I have about 90% range of motion and certain things will cause soreness in it to this day. But it hasn't stopped or hindered my playing, the good news is you don't need 100% range to play the drums ;-)

Sorry to hear about your wrist, with time it should get better, just follow what your dr's and therapists say and you should be good to go.

You are 21. That's young. Don't rush your come back. Do the therapy. Warm up when you do get back and don't strain doing other things. the key here is patience

I broke my wrist about a month ago, one of them little roundy bones in there somewhere ... Actually, the arm I broke about a month before that was about as devastating - which is to say not at all! It didn't need a cast either and I've been drumming on it, too.

What on earth are you doing, Mike??

Be patient and do whatever therapy they tell you to do!!

+1. I'm out of action with fractured ribs on the RH side and it looks like it's just a matter of time and gradually getting back. Have been practising LH push pull on a pad, which is all I can handle for now.

You are 21. That's young. Don't rush your come back. Do the therapy. Warm up when you do get back and don't strain doing other things. the key here is patience

+1 again. He's young and he'll heal faster than we would.

Even if you lose a little facility, there are so many things a musician can do without physical stress - listening (deeply), sight reading, exercises with unaffected limbs, mental imagery, writing music, take a break and freshen up. Better to make lemonade from a lemon than be disappointed about not being able to make orange juice. IMO

Back