the Beatles or Korn

This calls for another diagram on how Wildebeest are related to metal, some kind of logic chart should be sufficient.

To help the trolls amongst us keep track of the discussion so they have actual points to get angry about.

Why is it called Nu metal anyway?

Isn't nu like a greek letter or something...

numetal.jpg

Lmao this thread is too funny!

Yeah we need to get someone on that diagram frost, lol.

It's because misspelling words is cool yo, rebellious puberty induced angst at its best.

This.

And in the teenagers quest to make worlds as short as possible to for the purpose of sending instant messages, the world "new" was determined to be just too long of a word at three letters.

Although, in a way, it's helps identify the genre.

New Wave is still called "new" even though it's hey day was 25 years ago. But no one wants to call it "Old Wave". The term "New Wave" is simply a misnomer at this point.

Nu-Metal won't have that problem, as Nu will still be a screwed up word identifying the genre properly, be it 10 or 50 years from now.

maybe if The Beatles would have started writing there ow material rather then sticking to there oasis tribute band roots, they could have gain more of a following and might have even broken into the American scene

Just for absurdity sake:

During the week of 4 April 1964, The Beatles held twelve positions on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, including the top five positions. Neither feat has been matched by any other artist to date. The top five songs were "Can't Buy Me Love", "Twist and Shout", "She Loves You", "I Want to Hold Your Hand", and "Please Please Me." In addition, seven other singles occupied lower places on the chart: "I Saw Her Standing There", "You Can't Do That", "All My Loving", "Roll Over Beethoven", "From Me To You" , "Do You Want To Know A Secret" and "Thank You Girl".

In 1964, the Beatles had the never-matched total of 15 American million - selling records (9 singles and 6 LP's), representing US sales of over 25 million in 1964 alone.

"Can’t Buy Me Love" sold 940,225 copies in the US the day it was released (March 16, 1964), shattering all previous sales records. The single went on to sell over 3 million by the end of the year.

The motion picture soundtrack "A Hard Day’s Night" sold 1 million copies in the first four days of its US release making it one of the fastest selling LPs of the 1960s.

By August 1964, the Beatles had sold approximately 80 million records globally.

By February 1965, their global sales had moved over 100 million records.

By August 1966, the Beatles had sold 150 million records worldwide

By May 1967, the Beatles’ global gross stood at $98 million, equivalent to over $616.6 million in 2007.

The "Hey Jude" single had sold over 3 million copies in America in its first 2 months of release, and 3.7 million by mid-January 1969. It eventually sold over 4 million copies and was the fourth best-selling single of the 1960s.

Although it carried a list price of $11.79 (a single album was selling for $3.98), their double album The Beatles sold 1.1 million units during its first two weeks on sale; a record for any double album up to that point in time. At sales of over 19 million, it is the biggest selling album of the 1960s.

"Abbey Road" sold over 3.3 million copies in the US in a little over a week, making it the best-selling LP of all time.

According to the Guinness Book of Records, the Beatles had topped worldwide sales of 300 million units by 1969.

The "Let It Be" LP reportedly shipped 3.2 million copies in 13 days representing a gross retail value of nearly $26 million.

By October 1972, the Beatles’ worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1.3 billion units worldwide.

Korn has sold 16 million albums in the US and over 40 million worldwide. Ten of the band's official releases have peaked in the top ten of the Billboard 200, eight of which have peaked in the top five. Eight of those releases are certified Platinum by the RIAA, and one is certified Gold. Korn have also earned seven Grammy nominations — two of which they have won (for "Freak on a Leash" and "Here to Stay").

Back