How rare is it to find a band that has a practice space with a kit for you to use? Advice needed.

ba dum tish

I "joined" a cover band a few weeks ago and it's a good situation in that they have their own practice space and their own drum set there for me to use so I don't have to lug mine back and forth each practice. But I've recently found that I'm not really jiving with these guys and their sensibilities as well as I'd hoped, and I'm considering leaving now before it gets any further along.

But I first want to know just how rare it is to find a situation like this (in terms of practice space with drums set up), and perhaps whether it would be foolish on my part to leave so hastily. Is this a very rare occurrence? If I left, is it likely that I could find another band to join within the next few months that had a similar setup? Anyone have any general advice?

here in buffalo, we used to rent a space for $270.00 a month. It was great1 No more hauling my drums back and forth, I could just leave them there. BUT, it wasn't easy to find. In fact, i was thinking of starting a business to do exactly this as there's a huge market for it. I would recommend you look for another band while your still playing with these guys. Currently, I am in two bands and both of them are able to set us up in the basement of their houses. So , if there's a will there's a way. But before this, we had a heck of a time finding a practice facility where we could leave our stuff set up....

I remember reading about your issues, and I say take off.

It isn't easy to find a group of guys that you jive with, and that you jive with their musical taste, and that have a practice space and a set. It is possible, but not probable.

Lugging the kit is part of drumming, and although it's not always the most enjoyable experience, and can wear on you and your equipment, it is not that difficult either (once you're used to it).

It's really up to you at this point, but if you're really wanting to play with a group of like-minded individuals and enjoy yourself, just start looking for that group of people right this minute...

I remember reading about your issues, and I say take off.

It isn't easy to find a group of guys that you jive with, and that you jive with their musical taste, and that have a practice space and a set. It is possible, but not probable.

Lugging the kit is part of drumming, and although it's not always the most enjoyable experience, and can wear on you and your equipment, it is not that difficult either (once you're used to it).

It's really up to you at this point, but if you're really wanting to play with a group of like-minded individuals and enjoy yourself, just start looking for that group of people right this minute...

Thanks. Well here's the situation, tell me what you think. Their name (which I didn't know until after I had auditioned and practiced with them a few times) is something I would be embarrassed and uncomfortable telling someone. It has sexual tones to it and sounds like something a group of 8th graders would call their garage band and think was hilarious. I know it's just a name, but it is kind of a big deal to me to be able to tell family members what band I'm in and not cringe while I'm doing it since it's kind of abrasive and inappropriate in those settings. The fact that these grown adults thought it was a good idea to choose such a name sends up a bigger picture red flag to me as well.

Also, I looked at their facebook page, and the one main "leader" of the band basically uses it to espouse his own personal political views. It's not a matter of my political views not lining up with his as I couldn't care less, it's a matter of associating the entire band with those views. And he is in-your-face about his views, which I find very off-putting.

Now all that being said, musically they seem pretty good, and like I said the set-up is pretty ideal. If the name changed and I wouldn't be lumped in with any stupid political stuff I would probably go for it. But something tells me I would start to run into problems down the line again as they would still be the same people.

So given that info, what's your take (or anyone else's)? Also, they're expecting me to come to their next practice in a few days where we would be auditioning a singer. Is it a dick move to opt out before that and not show up? Or should I go and then tell them I'm leaving afterward? Can you audition a singer without a drummer?

If you can't be proud of what you're doing with a band - for whatever reason - then why would you do it in the first place?

Pretty rare.

Only once did I ever find myself in such a situation where the band had a practice space AND a drum kit.

It's not something I would expect to find when looking for a band.

I would say it's pretty rare. A couple of bands I played for had a kit in their rehearsal/livingroom/roommates room because either the drummer moved away and couldn't take the kit or their previous drummer quit and never bothered to pick up his gear. It's definitely convenient and it's much better than lugging around your own gear but that's part of the whole deal.

Me personally, I'd rather play with guys I mesh with and struggle with a practice space. There may be more stuff you don't want to be associated with down the road. I'd wonder about their comments/actions when you get in front of a crowd. Plus it's a lot easier to leave earlier than later.

Yeah, pretty rare situation to have a practice kit there. I agree lugging drums around is part of it and I think a lot of reason the 1 up, 1 down thing is still so popular. But, and I know people aren't made of money, decent sets are so cheap these days you could pick up a used set just to leave at the practice space and just lug your cymbals around.

But from having played in bands for almost 20 years now, if you feel this weird about it already its probably a good time to jump ship. A lot of guys who do pick up gigs or play for their livelihood can leave all that stuff on the side, show up to the gig, do the job at hand and go home. But if you don't need the income and you are just doing this for enjoyment then you should by all means enjoy it. You may never find a situation where you love everything about the band, but it sounds like you have a pretty realistic point of view and there seem to be a bunch of negatives that together may be to big to overcome. Plus, its not fair to the band either. As sophomoric as they sound, if you are too embarrassed to even tell people the name of the band, you probably aren't going to help promote shows, get the word out, etc.

Rare, if it was me I'd wonder who owns them and why they are there...are there several other drummers being brought in too?

See now you have to tell us the name of the band. It's OK. You can tell us. At least give us a sounds like lolol.

Tough call. It would depend on how off I get playing with them. If that's not there, I don't care if they limo me to rehearsal.

On the other hand, if they are good players and you get on well musically... that would be the harder choice.

If they are a new band with no following then I'd probably pass but if they are established and have gigs...tough call.

I recently saw advertised some band practice space in my town where every unit came equipped with PA and a kit. I believe that this type of space is rented on an hourly and daily basis and lots of people come through to use the setup. That's nice if you only practice once a week.

If you're in a band where you find that you are having as many nights of practice as you would personal practice, moving a kit in is not a big deal. Those kinds of spaces are usually rented exclusively month to month and they let you stick your own lock on the door. Making sure that the space is secure with your equipment should always be the priority for that.

I've been in the situation with 3 different bands where all I needed to bring was my pedal, stool and sticks. They're not common though. I think if I were to fall into a situation that made sense for me to leave a set there, I'd buy a cheap kit and do so. I hate all things that come with tear down and set up so it'd be worth it to me.

So given that info, what's your take (or anyone else's)?

Initiate launch sequence in 5.....4.....3.....2.....

Those two reasons are more than enough to bail. Would you start a relationship or a business with these kinds of issues?

Go with your gut on this one.

And send me the Facebook link :) I need a laugh today.

I am lucky enough to get to practice in a recording studio with a house kit where everything is recorded. With that being said, if the music or band members were not right, I would bail. I would rather play in a shed while lugging my entire kit up a mountain, than play in the wrong musical or personal situation.

I've been in this situation. Don't let the setup/space keep you.
As said above the music is central. You don't have to hang out with your band.
BUT It can be a grind playing music with people who are not your 'type',. I mean there is some leeway there but there is a reason say David Lee Roth or similar type of person is not in a band like WIlco or REM.

Eventually the personal side or views may get in the way, even if you like them musically.

On a personal note, I have left at least 3 bands in past 3 years simply because I tired of either their crappy band name and/or endless dirty jokes (from lewd dirty old men) at band practice. I love all kinds of humour, but just can't stand "dirty jokes".

Once. Thing is, the bassist owned the space and the kit. She was a basic and unsteady player; none of the band would have played with her if not for her practice space (and kit) and charisma. It's a tough decision to walk away if you're in it for fun.

I think it often happens - a well resourced weaker player attracts parasitic (lol) better players who want to enjoy their room and gear. Players with different tastes will turn up for the free studio and gear too. Law of the jungle applies.

What to do? Ideally you want your preferred styles, played well with nice people who happen to own a rehearsal space with kit.. So first thing to do is encourage / cajole / manipulate / nag / bully the band into becoming what you want. Not sure how often it works, but many have tried.

If the problem is more about taste than skill, bear in mind that playing different styles makes you a more rounded player, and sometimes a different style can grow on you. Might be worth persevering for a while and learning what's involved in playing the style with more authenticity.

// 2c

I think it is all about your personal situation,much like others have said. Why do you play? Enjoyment? Money? Excitement? Certainly all of these reasons, and others, are important...but what is most important?

I've left bands where I got along great with the other players and had an affinity with the song selections, but they were not gigging or not gigging enough.

The practice space thing to me is unimportant. I have drums, I'll bring 'em..in fact I prefer to play my stuff, even if a kit is provided. I like to be comfortable and have my sounds at hand.

That being said, I dislike rehearsals. Oh they're necessary sometimes, especially when difficult songs are being worked out, but I much prefer to get a CD or whatever and work on it on my own. A gig is worth at least 3 rehearsals in my opinion...you have to get it right first go. You just have to do your homework.

From what I can glean from the discussion is that you really aren't enjoying the experience, for many reasons. I'd bounce, and now. You are not beholden to these people, and there are literally thousands of others who can play that would most likely be better suited to your tastes

If this was a situation where you were being paid top wages then it might be more difficult to make a decision. In this case, though, it's easy.

Here's a rule you will never regret following: Never allow anything you don't like into your life if you absolutely don't have to.

Back