It's all Larry's fault! (Pics)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Ok, so I started this thread a little while back about what are some random toms folks are searching for. So what does Larry do? He pops over there and says something like, "I have some toms to give away if anyone wants them." I was trying to piece together a kit, so I said, "I'll take the two PDP toms." So, they arrived. I took the PDP mount off of the floor tom and added a suspension cradle with tom legs:

7DE1D3B3-611A-4B36-86AF-821C4ED927F5_zpszulcx3nl.jpg

So, I have a friend who has a couple of non-matching kick drums he was looking to sell for fairly good prices; however, before pulling the trigger, I decided look at evilBay, and I spot this:

pdp%20kick_zpst3e9lugi.jpg

The price? Let's just say that it was about HALF of what the other PDP CX kicks were going for. So, I quickly sold my Basix Birch kit (which I wasn't terribly pleased with these days), and I ordered this kick. The result? See below:

19693816-0AD4-4113-889F-70CA3B1999BE_zpswku8vyok.jpg

1FCEBEF6-CE64-48FC-8EA3-5E09F28FF91E_zpskqxuqlcl.jpg

The only thing I want to do is find a PDP cover plate for the kick drum and remove that bracket. I've not gotten to play it yet because when I got home, my youngest kid was sick and was sleeping peacefully, but I will be giving it a workout tonight.

A huge shout-out to the most generous person on the forum!

THANK YOU LARRY!!!

Looking good Martin! You people are much too kind, thank you. It's no big deal, they were just taking up valuable space. I'm glad they are getting use. Unfortunately, I'm just about out of things to give away. Unless I decide to give away my DW kit, which is always a possibility.

seconded, there's no-one like Larry on the internet and people like him are what makes this forum great

I hate to kick a guy when he's down, but I'm sure UL's goodwill influences WAAAAY more folks than just this puny drum forum. Knowing that folks like UL actually exist, confirms my belief that the whole world's not going to hell in a handbasket.

I hate to kick a guy when he's down, but I'm sure UL's goodwill influences WAAAAY more folks than just this puny drum forum. Knowing that folks like UL actually exist, confirms my belief that the whole world's not going to hell in a handbasket.

It is a nice reminder, when we get deluged with so much negativity around us.

Amazing stuff, Larry. And beautiful kit, Pork Pie Guy

Looking good Martin! You people are much too kind, thank you. It's no big deal, they were just taking up valuable space. I'm glad they are getting use. Unfortunately, I'm just about out of things to give away. Unless I decide to give away my DW kit, which is always a possibility.

As much fun as the drum set is and will be, my kids have been having an absolute BLAST with the box you packed the drums in. It's like it's become another room in the house. Here was a short conversation I had with my wife several days ago:

Me: "Where's my boy at?"

Wife: "He's in the box."

I went and took this picture when I found him. It's become a normal spot in the house now. We leave it in the living room:

19366194_10213762244230905_1411349100212522370_n.jpg

Thanks Porkpie for posting this-Larry's philanthropic side is something to behold-and he does increase my faith in humanity and makes DW a much nicer place-and more interesting too. The kit turned out real nice-and some things never change-like the affinity for boxes-it reminds me of Christmas where there were the gifts and then the big boxes to build forts and whatever you imagination could take you.

That is just plain precious Martin.

Hey how about this for a holiday gift for the boy...Get a bunch of boxes and make a box fort. No batteries required.

That is just plain precious Martin.

Hey how about this for a holiday gift for the boy...Get a bunch of boxes and make a box fort. No batteries required.

When I ordered my kick drum, it came in an even bigger box. I'm sure they've been playing in it all day too. They've been going nuts with the bubble wrap as well.

That is my kind of drum set. There is still good in the world. Peace and goodwill.

Sweet and I like the FT conversion too. Those things look amazing for having been gigged as often as they have. Larry sure took great care of those and the kick is prestine too. I've always liked that color.

Everyone wins...Larry got to give something away again, PorkPie got a new set and his boy gets to pretend he's Corey Hart! LOL!

Very cool. Your kit looks nice, I like that finish. Larry is the man. Did you ever see Sponge Bob and Patrick playing in the box? They were having a blast. Squidward didn't have any imagination, so when he got inside the box nothing happened. I think Larry imagines how the recipients of his generosity feel, and gets a kick out of it. Those of us with no imagination can't figure him out.

Very cool. Your kit looks nice, I like that finish. Larry is the man. Did you ever see Sponge Bob and Patrick playing in the box? They were having a blast. Squidward didn't have any imagination, so when he got inside the box nothing happened. I think Larry imagines how the recipients of his generosity feel, and gets a kick out of it. Those of us with no imagination can't figure him out.

Entire concept stolen from Bill Waterson.

You give me more credit than I deserve. I don't pretend to understand how the recipients feel. For all I know they could be laughing and thinking what a sucker I am. I don't really care.

I just know that giving stuff away to people is a good thing. I want good karma, that's my main motivation. So it's not completely altruistic. I do want something back, something that I can't spend away. I don't have anything of real value until I give back is where I'm at now. This is one way to do it. I didn't want the things I gave away anymore. I thought I could become a richer person by donating rather than selling, if that makes any sense in this monetized world. That's really about it. People are of the highest importance, money means next to nothing to me.

Thank you for all of your kind kind words, everyone. They mean infinitely more to me than a fistful of Jacksons.

Back