Drum Badges: Should there be any: Good, bad ugly, post your pics.

If I was a drum maker, I would etch the name in the hoops in a different color. I like Tamas idea the best, a decal. That to me looks far better than any badge you can name.
I have DW's and the finish is kind of a greenish/blue lacquer, with black hardware. The DW badges are gold and don't go at all. I tried taking them off but the holes are pretty big so I left them on.

JM SMITH Custom Drums. I picked this snare drum up about two months ago.
Killer snare all the way.

Don't know much about the company but this thing cracks like a bolt of electricity.

Tully Lee

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 4,357
  • jmsmith.jpg
    jmsmith.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4,392
I agree.
I like the big, gaudy logos to be all over everything. The Gretsch logo is so badass that I made it my avatar. I'm proud of my drums and cymbals, logos and all. Maybe I just have poor taste.
I agree on the Gretsch logo..
Mochafade.jpg
Love the "T" roof script!! Just classy..

The JM SMITH is a chrome over steel. It was a bargin. Was on Ebay. The seller had paid $475.00 a while back to have it built. I won the bid at $138.00. I figured I could not go wrong. If it sounded bad I would dump it. Turns out the be the best snare I have every owned. The snap is incredible. Can tune low and fat and almost compete with with Ludwig Colliseum snare. Best unexpected drum purchase to day.

My guess is that no one has ever heard of this company and simply passed on it. Glad I took the chance.

Tully Lee

Way late to this party...but it's a good discussion. Badges are often overlooked by the smaller companies, and can really make or break a drum in some instances. I'm biased towards the Black Label badge, but can ya blame me....

black_label_abalone_inlay_2.jpg

Vintage_Drum_Set_Black_Glass_Glitter_3.jpg

this is a shame
IMG_9337.jpg

I can't stand big square badges, this is awful and to me it ruins a beautiful drum. and the mapex meridian with the circle badge is really classy too. I don't get it.

i would have to agree, even though i love my saturns, the badge is just huge and distracting from the finish. it is kinda a miniscule complaint but small badges just look so much classier. i made it a point to aim all the saturn badges to where they were less noticable. novel thought, when you buy a new kit the badges come on a sticker sheet and if you wanna put them giant gawdy badges out for the world to see do it, and if not don't put them on at all.

I Bought an absolutely trashed 80's set of Slingerlands that I'm going to attempt to restore. The Badges just reek of history.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the Black Label Drums logo for the "good" column. Classy, understated, and very unique. No shame at all in plugging your own stuff Dennis! :)

I'm partial to round badges, especially if they keep the size down. The new round badge Mapex put on the Meridian series was just icing on the cake when compared to the updated lugs and suspension system, but it still factored into my choice. The Orion and Saturn badges take up way too much space and are really distracting to me.

It depends what the drums are for me really. If it's a decent set of drums like my sc performers then the badges stay. If it's a POS like my santafe snare drum then the badge comes off just so no-one makes the same mistake I did and is tempted to buy one...

Back