My [not brand] new Pearl Masters MMX

mr.tune

Hi there. I've bought my MMXs just a couple of weeks ago and after changing heads and setting it up the way I like it to be set up I thought of posting it here. So, just as simple as it is:
DRUMS: Pearl Masters Custom
TT 10x8
TT 12x10
TT 14x12 [unfortunately one hoop is not round here, so I've got to change it asap]
BD 20x16
Snare Drum Black Panther Cherry Maple 13x6. Small, but quite powerful. I think it would be better as an additional snare drum, though. So, after buying my FFS 14x5 or Masters snare I'm going to put it to my left :)
Heads:
Toms: Remo Emperor Batter/Remo Ambassador Clear
Bass: Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear/stock Pearl resonant
Snare: Evans G1 Power Center Reverse Dot/Ambassador Snare
CYMBALS:
Amedia Galata 14" hi-hat
Amedia Galata 16" crash
Amedia Ahmet Legend 20" ride
HARDWARE
Pearl S-1000 snare stand
Pearl AX-38 multiclamp
Pearl TH-1000 tomholders
DW 5000 AD3
DW 5500 LT i guess. Not the heavy duty version.

So here are my plans for future:
1. New cymbal stands
2. Istanbul Agop Turk Ride 22" and a 19" crash, but I don't know which. Maybe Mel Lewis Sig?
3. Pearl FFS Maple 14x5 or Pearl Masters Maple 14x5
4. LP Mambo Cowbell
random order. So, here are the photos. Sorry for the bad quality of some of them, but the only thing I got with me was my celly :p
505e9cca.jpg

p2802101223.jpg

p280210122301.jpg

p2802101225.jpg

Hey Mr.Tune, congrats on your new kit and welcome to the Pearl Masters Family.
Your MMX looks sharp in red with the gold hardware. Enjoy!

Thanks. Glad that you like it.Yesterday I forgot to write about the most important thing - the SOUND!
To be honest, at first I was something like disappointed. And this wasn't nice if you buy a pro kit, you throw away your Mapex Q, you hit the Masters and it's like "mm.. not far better than Qs". BUT! After changing the heads, tuning them well and playing for a while I've discovered that their sound is great because of its naturality and sensitivity. They're freaking awesome. Now, I've got to get better and better with my playing :)

Last edited:
Looks nice... too bad the photos are so noisy, it doesn't do the kit any justice. I like red lacquers :)

Yeah, the photos are whack, but next Saturday I'm playing a gig and probably I will have some HQ photos. And your snare, Philly, is just stunning. Hope that it sounds as good as it looks.

Great looking little kit. I wish i had a 20" kick. You can't go wrong with a masters kit.

How do you like those Amedia cymbals... I was at a clinic last week and the drummer was using those..

Great look for these late 90'/early 2000 MMX.
I used to have a MMX kit myself around that time. I replaced all the T tension rods on the kick for some simple square ones.
Red laquer and gold hardware look awesome !

Pearl Masters are good drums. You made a good choice.

Have a great time playing them!

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
@ GUNTERSDAD
Amedias are quite good. They're Turkish hand-made cymbals just as Istanbul Agop. And the guys that produce them are ex-Istanbul workers. They are comparable to Istanbul, however, to me they (especially the ride cymbal) seem to be a little bit worse when playing without mics. On the other hand, they are (at least were when I bought them) 50% cheaper than IA so I guess that's good value for money. And they're fabulous with microphones.

Back