Phil Rudd

Man, there's a lot of differing opinions on Phil Rudd here.

I got one too.

There's a whole lot of drummers that say Phil's shtick is easy, well, I've yet to see a drummer have his groove. There are FUNK drummers who wish they had pants with pockets that deep. No one just PLAYS like that!! That's something you can't teach or learn, it's what Phil Rudd IS!!
They should take a lesson from Phil.

I've yet to see a band, even a TRIBUTE band, play Phil's parts like Phil does, they ALWAYS rush the song as compared to Phil.
. . .They should take a lesson from Phil.

His internal clock ain't syncin' with NOBODY, everybody should use Phil as the pinnacle to which all drummers should aspire. But drummers who say it's "too simple" will INVARIABLY mess it up by putting their own needs ahead of the song by adding rolls, crashes and other "augmentations" that just don't belong. Even "replacement" drummers IN the band didn't do it right.

I've heard FAR too many drummers (amateur AND pro) that are so tied up with chops or fills or whatever makes THEM feel good, that they forgot to make the TUNE feel good.

If you don't hear what Phil Rudd brings to the drumming table, you seriously aren't listening properly.

I personally have taken gigs away from WAY more proficient drummers with SCADS more technical ability and chops than me, but "If you play the SONG, you can't go wrong!"
. . .I took a lesson from Phil.

I got one too.

There's a whole lot of drummers that say Phil's shtick is easy, well, I've yet to see a drummer have his groove. There are FUNK drummers who wish they had pants with pockets that deep. No one just PLAYS like that!! That's something you can't teach or learn, it's what Phil Rudd IS!!

I've yet to see a band, even a TRIBUTE band, play Phil's parts like Phil does, they ALWAYS rush the song as compared to Phil.

His internal clock ain't syncin' with NOBODY, everybody should use Phil as the pinnacle to which all drummers should aspire. But drummers who say it's "too simple" will INVARIABLY mess it up by putting their own needs ahead of the song by adding rolls, crashes and other "augmentations" that just don't belong. Even "replacement" drummers IN the band didn't do it right.

I've heard FAR too many drummers (amateur AND pro) that are so tied up with chops or fills or whatever makes THEM feel good, that they forgot to make the TUNE feel good.

If you don't hear what Phil Rudd brings to the drumming table, you seriously aren't listening properly.

I personally have taken gigs away from WAY more proficient drummers with SCADS more technical ability and chops than me, but "If you play the SONG, you can't go wrong!"

Hell yeah brother, Phil may seem all easy & repetivive but he is a great drummer. Subtle, but great.

Hello,

Phil Rudd does the job and he does it well done for AC/DC, reasons why he is back on drums. It is a pity to say but Simon Wright and Chris Slade did not last that much with the band!!! Phil has the catchy feeling and groove.

I got one too.

Exactly right!
You should take a lesson from Vipercussionist.

Mr. Rudd on drums, enjoy the pictures.

All the Best,

Attachments

• Phil Rudd.bmp
    30.2 KB · Views: 7,764
  • Phil Rudd2.bmp
    24.5 KB · Views: 7,694
  • Phil Rudd3.bmp
    37.5 KB · Views: 7,746
  • Phil Rudd5.bmp
    30.3 KB · Views: 7,692

It is all about the groove from all the other band mates' perspectives!!!!

Great post

I was looking at Phil Rudds set up again.

He uses a very forward hi hat position. This it the best advantage for the right. It allows right hand playing on the hats without crossing the hands or arms.
Check out Phils set up and physical approach.
I find that unless I have three toms up front, then I need to go for the forward hi hat position as it offers to me a better ergonomics and ability to hold a AC/DC type pocket.

Take a good look at his hi-hat placement.

I noticed this on the SARS video. His hands never cross.
This makes a better pocket IMHO.
For me it does.
I love it.
Open hands, open mind.

Phil has perfect stage presence.

Howdy... I went and saw AC/DC last Friday in San Antonio (which was a GREAT show, by the way) and was wondering if Phil is using a double base pedal now... it looked like on the crescendos the base was moving like a double kick was in use. I remember from the late 70's/early 80's he was a single kick man...

- jb

At first I didn't like Phil's playing. I thought it was boring and uncreative. Now I've realised that if he'd done a billion pataflaflas and fancy fills in every song it would have totally ruined the band's sound. Keep rocking, Phil! :)

Phil is much like Ringo Starr or Charlie Watts in that he plays exactly what his band needs for them to sound good, nothing more, nothing less.

Say Dream Theater for example, none is actually counting-off, and I know they dont use a click....
Dream Theater do use a click...

Phil is much like Ringo Starr or Charlie Watts in that he plays exactly what his band needs for them to sound good, nothing more, nothing less.
same opinion here.No matter who the drummer for AC/DC is, they all plays the same, time keeping....very easy to play along for me. I just dont understand when people say his strokes are "deep' in the pocket. I think that drum sound is because of the drum technician's extremely delicate effort of tuning and the sound engineers work.

The difference between Chris Slade and Phil Rudd is Chris shows some face expressions while keeping time, Phil doesnt.

If Phil ever plays on my starter kit with those starter Planet Z "Klanky" cymbals, he would be playing like a pro but the sound would be so bad!!

I am a fan of Time keeping drummers.

In the studio: yes (everyone does, these days)
Live: no
In fact, Im fairly certain they do, or at the very least, Mike does on some of their stuff.

mx7.jpg

This is a shot I took behind Mikes kit. You can just make out a pad under his chimes to the left - Which, if memory serves me correctly, acts as a tap-tempo device for his in-ears.

Of course, he may not use it for all the songs.

Also if you watch any of their later live DVDs, you can feel him pulling back in some sections the same way somewone would if they were correcting from coming in to a part too quickly.

Back