Hi All!

RueTheDay

I just wanted to introduce my Self. I'm new to the WORLD of Drumming "I can barley hold the sticks in my hands without dropping them". I've wanted to learn the ART for as long as I can remember! I'm now in my mid 30's "better late than never!" and I'm finally at a place that I'm able to start. I just purchased "still in the box" my first extension into the drumming world, Yamaha DTX 450k. I elected the electric set for a number of reasons, 1# I can learn, practice late into the night. I also purchased a Vic Firth 12" Double sided practice pad and 5A sticks. I started with the basics, hand, arm positioning, finding the fulcrum point and how to hold my sticks properly. I've decided before I'm even going to overwhelm my self with my new extension to devote some real time to proper positioning. For the past couple of weeks I've just been working solely on that and playing 1/4 notes with a metronome/click track "my left hand although still clueless is getting better". I truly am taking this serious as it's been something I've been wanting to do all my life. Thanx for reading!

Hey welcome to the forum. You sound like you have a great attitude and understand that you need to spend a ton of time on the basics. The basics...people tend to skip past them and as a result they never get the rock solid foundation they need.

Baiscs:

Learning how to work a drumstick efficiently by way of an effective grip. There is more than one great way to work a stick. You have to find the one that works for you.

Metronome practice

Reading practice

Rudiment practice

Seriously, you could spend years and years on the single stroke roll alone. It's the hardest rudiment to get. But if you pay the single stroke roll it's due diligence, to a metronome, it will greatly benefit every aspect of your playing. Same with the double stroke roll. Learn to relish the basics. In fact they should be called essentials. The term basic...people tend to gloss over them because they want to skip ahead. Bad move.

But yea welcome to Drummerworld. The best damn drumming site in the world, for real.

The basics...people tend to skip past them and as a result they never get the rock solid foundation they need.
If there's only one thing you ever take from this forum, let it be this. I'm living proof of how to get it wrong. Lack of technique presents a series of brick walls that slow down your progress & prevent you from expressing yourself. It takes so much longer to break down those walls than it ever will to prevent yourself building them in the first place. I suffered from a modest degree of early success, & that took my eye away from establishing the basics. I'm paying a big price for that now :(

A big welcome to the forum :)

YES SIR! That's extremely well put and thank you very much for the welcome! I'm even having a great time spending hours on insuring that holding the sticks correctly and properly becomes a part of my muscle memory, LOL.

"Keep it Simple", Very Wise Words, thank you for sharing. This is where I'm starting, I've searched high and low and I really like how Curtis really breaks it down. These few lessons will be my focus for a long time. Please let me know what you all think, thank you!

http://youtu.be/fKXBTsJayW8

http://youtu.be/3ld7Zw8dTOs

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, I so understand where you're coming from. I started playing later than you, on the same kit for the same reasons, and I love trying my hardest to do things properly.

Welcome :)

Welcome welcome welcome! You are in the right place. Lots of nice people here and lots of sage advice to go with. It's the best forum on the internet ;)

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet, but I think everybody here would agree that a professional teacher will be a big help in getting you moving in the right direction. I know it may seem silly, but I didnt take my first lesson until I was well into my 30's. I thought I was a profecient drummer until I started lessons. I basically had to re-learn everything after years of playing everything my own way (the wrong way).

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Back