Roland SPD-SX - Questions

Carl1969

Is it possible to actually chop up or cut/edit the actual sample using this unit or do you have to use specific software. For example can I pick a part out of a song and just sample it using the unit or do I need some type of external software package?

Re: Questons about the Roland SPD-SX

You can record and edit samples in the unit, but it's simpler to create/rip/edit samples with a basic sound program, where you have more control, can move faster with a mouse, and name the sample faster as well. load to a USB thumb drive, and import.

In fact, there's software that comes with the Roland that lets you edit & configure. I think you can do all the setups/presets on the computer, and load as a whole into the unit.

Computers are always faster & more powerful than menu-driven hardware samplers. I've got the SPD-SX and I doubt I'll ever use it as a sampler.

Bermuda

I did receive the spd-sx disc with the unit, I loaded the drivers and all that stuff, however I can't figure if thats the software you are refering to.

The Roland software just deals with assigning samples (to pads) and creating presets for the unit. I don't think there's .wav editing capability.

Computer users seem to like Audacity, which is a free audio editing program with some nice features. Probably the best thing out there without spending money (and please do NOT pirate software!) I've used SoundForge for years, and it's pretty fantastic, but it's also not free. :(

Bermuda

Thanks again, I learned my lesson a long time ago with bad software, wiped out my entire hard drive. Its much easier to purchase a download for $1 vs. a new computer. By the way, I'm the same Carl1969 from the DFO forum, I've been over there since the DCI days. I will attempt to download the audacity stuff today. This is all new to me, however I want to be ready if I ever had to run the backing keyboard tracks (as if the keyboard player can't make the gig).

Audacity is also cool because it can handle multiple tracks a la simple programs like Acid and Garage Band. Again, best deal going for free, but when I need multitrack capabilties, I rely on ProTools or Logic (which are far from free!)

But for simple file editing, Audacity should be plenty capable.

And welcome to Drummerworld! I remember you from DCI, and I miss that place.

Bermuda

, This is all new to me, however I want to be ready if I ever had to run the backing keyboard tracks (as if the keyboard player can't make the gig).

I got mine to replace the keyboardist who wasn't quite getting things done. I'd much rather have a good keyboard guy but, until he comes along, this is what I will use. As a bonus, it plays horns and strings nicely too :)

I tried a few different programs including Audacity but only had success with Garage Band. It is pretty limited but it is free on Macs (or maybe $5 app) and I had someone who showed me the basics in about an hour.One of these days I will attempt to convert to Logic.

You can't do any real editing with the SPD software. It is simply for downloading wav samples and assigning pads, but I think you will need it

Just to chime in here... Depending on what you're editing, the SPD SX is actually really good and easy to edit with. If you're sampling one shot sounds directly onto the SX, or using the perform and record function or recording like a keyboard or bass line, then editing is easy. A little trick that's not in the manual for some odd reason is.... While in the wave start/end function, use the shift key with the up and down arrows. This will zoom in on the wave and you can get really accurate results quick and easy.

The only time I use audacity, is when I need to create a sample that's going to loop. Then the SX is hit or miss(more miss). In fact I think I was just lucky the one time I was able to edit a useable looping sample. Much easier with software.

But if you're recording a backing track, I record it directly into the SX playing along with the click(then its always in time with the click assuming it was played in time)and edit it there. It did take a little learning, but so does learning to use audacity. Which can be a handful.

Ok we are up and running, but not I have a new question. Can the spdx be set to start the click and the sample at the same time. Lets say I have a backing keyboard track ( Bon Jovi Living on a prayer (I know)) the Keys intro is a fade in and its hard to guess when to come in without a click. Is there a way upon trigger that intro that the click be activated?

Back