Recommend me a bass batter head

joeyleweck

I just wore through the original batter head on my Yamaha kick (22 inch) and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm having trouble deciding on one because it seems like each head has their perks and flaws. Anyways, I'd probably prefer a 1 ply head. I do a lot of recording for rock and pop music and I'm pretty heavy-footed, I usually bury the beater in the head.

The heads I'm looking at are:
Evans EMAD
Evans EQ4
Remo PS3 (I've heard this isn't good for burying the beater)
Aquarian SK1

I can't decide on one and I'm open to other options. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Last edited:
Well, if you are heavy footed, probably the EMAD would suit you or an Aquarian SKII, I've never tried the SK1. I stick with the SKII for the very reasons you've stated, plus they sound great.

Well, if you are heavy footed, probably the EMAD would suit you or an Aquarian SKII, I've never tried the SK1. I stick with the SKII for the very reasons you've stated, plus they sound great.

I'd have to agree more so with the SKII.

It may have something to do with the drums but I have a ps3 on my mapex saturn, and an eq4 on my sonor s-class, both 22x16, and the mapex gets a much nicer thud. I put small blankets in both bass drums and use wooden/plastic beaters.

I haven't tried the aquarians so I can't comment.

My Bass Drum is an old 22" Revelle, I think. I put a used, black single-ply reso with a port hole on the front and a SKII with a thin kick pad on the batter side and it sounded amazing just like that. But I play with more of a rock sound, so I put just a little foam pillow in there (like that stuff you put on the walls for sound-proofing). Now it sounds better than the Tama Starclassic that's in the room too. Just the bass drum though. But it was tuned really well too by a pro who helped me out.

If you prefer a 1 ply head you can do no wrong with Remo PS3. It makes every bass drum sound great. I have tried the SKI and its just too damn muffled for my tastes, but I like to hear the drum, not the head. Problem is you gotta spend a fair sum to try them all lol ...(but Evans has audio samples on their sites which are very helpful)

Back