Dualist pedals. talk to me

alex19

been looking into getting a double pedal, but im a bit unsure. ive seen a pedal which is like a normal one, but with 2 heads. how do these work then? it said on the ebay page that the second one works on the upstroke????

cheers guys and girls.

Alex

You're very welcome.

Didn't mean to come across sounding short either.......it's just that many seem to by-pass the search function and we end up with half a dozen active threads on the same topic.......and nowhere moreso than the Pedals Section.

I've found the humble search, to be a very valuable tool.....you'll find that much of what you need has already been answered.......and then some.

Good luck with the Dualist.

Do not get one. They are fun in double mode but very hard to play and stay in single mode. It will take a week just to adjust it. Great idea but it has a lot of bugs to work out and should be redesigned.

Do not get one. They are fun in double mode but very hard to play and stay in single mode. It will take a week just to adjust it. Great idea but it has a lot of bugs to work out and should be redesigned.

I have been playing a Duallist for more than 4 years. 95 percent of the time, it is in single mode. In my experience, it makes a GREAT single pedal, smooth and responsive, and is brilliantly designed. After a week of getting the hang of it, it always stays in single mode until switched. Before making the Duallist my bass pedal, I played a DW5000 chain drive for more than 10 years and various pedals before that.

It will take a week just to adjust it.

I haven't played the Dualist, but in fairness to it....I'm thinking this point could be argued over any pedal that we are unfamiliar with. I'd played chain driven pedals for years, when I bought some direct drives several months ago, I reckon it took me at least a week just to get myself used to the different feel they offer.

I think they are terrible feeling pedals and are unnatural to play. If I were to go this route I'd get a Sonor Giant Step heel/toe pedal as they feel great and have an actual pedal for the second beater. In my eyes the Dualist is an ok idea with terrible implementation.

The biggest problem I had was trying to go fast on single mode, no matter how it was adjusted it was too stiff and slow on single. It just seems that people love em or hate em. I see they make a tripple pedal now...............WOW, must sound like a snare roll on the bass drum.

I always thought the Sonor Giant Step Twin Action pedal seemed more intuitive if you want the ability to control two clubs with one foot. The heel plate controls the second beater, so it's easy to play it like a normal pedal, and then you just rock your foot back and forth to go twice as fast. Thomas Lang has been using one for years.

tmp1c44-8e055fc7c4498636a7845d7b5b2d22d9.jpg

No, I've never tried one, so I can't comment on specifics. I just think it looks more intuitive and easier to use than the Dualist.

Have had a dualist for about 2 weeks now... some of the comments about it being a little stiff in single mode are true but I'm getting used to it after many adjustments. It poses some challenges on some of the songs I play that have spotty double bass in them. For now what I'm doing is using it for the 1st 2 sets and then switching back to a regular double for the last 2. It just so happens are set list works with this. I will keep working with it at home until I can convert it to my main, only, gigging pedal. It is well worth the effort I'm putting in, the payoff is awesome. When I use it in the 2nd set I do a "mini-solo" with it and mainly the hi-hat/snare pulling out some off-time eye and ear raising beats and 16ths,32nds that I could never do with a regular double pedal. It has taken my drum playing up at least 1 or 2 notches in this area ......if you like getting the WOW factor from your audience this may be the pedal for you.

Hmmmmm, I like that Sonor. Have you played on one?

Yes. The Giant Step line is, in my opinion, one of the best feeling pedals ever made. The heel pedal takes some practice to build dynamic control, but since you have two independent pedals, I feel you have more control than you do with a Dualist. I've never seen anyone do a shuffle or syncopated parts with a Dualist. The Sonor allows for these quite easily.

Yes. The Giant Step line is, in my opinion, one of the best feeling pedals ever made. The heel pedal takes some practice to build dynamic control, but since you have two independent pedals, I feel you have more control than you do with a Dualist. I've never seen anyone do a shuffle or syncopated parts with a Dualist. The Sonor allows for these quite easily.

I do terrific shuffles all the time with a Duallist. But you are right - while I have never played a Giant Step, I suspect it does give you more control.

The Duallist is great for speed. I can do 250 bpm with mine. Maybe I can do faster but that's as fast as the metronome goes. Not a lot of practical applications for that but it's fun as hell.

I can not find that Sonor pedal for sale anywhere and I really would like one. Looks to me like they stopped production. I will keep looking.

Back