Berklee is "Hogwarts"

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
Recently a friend made a joke about someone we know who graduated from Berklee. He referred to it as "Hogwarts" (the wizard school from Harry Potter if you've been living under a rock).

It got me thinking that they are sort of similar.

It's a special school geared toward learning mystical abilities.
It's not well known to non-musician types, or "muggles"

What are some other comparisons you can make?

Whichever you graduate from, you'll have a tough time using what you learned in the real world!

:)

I just got back from Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in Orlando Fl this weekend. I saw peeps with the "Robes" and "Wands" and "Scarves" and blah blah blahhhhhhhhh......of Harry Potter.......I am sick of Harry Potter and all the crap they project.

Berklee RULES and all the others are FAKE! Go Berklee!

I just got back from Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure in Orlando Fl this weekend. I saw peeps with the "Robes" and "Wands" and "Scarves" and blah blah blahhhhhhhhh......of Harry Potter.......I am sick of Harry Potter and all the crap they project.

Berklee RULES and all the others are FAKE! Go Berklee!
I don't think that you understood.
Comparing Berklee to Hogwarts is not meant to be an insult to Berklee alumni.

Not at all.

I'm not even that much of a Potter fan, but I felt the cultural reference was relevant. Particularly because this guy was a recording engineer, he went and learned the "magic."

I thought it would be appreciated here. Once again, respect to Berklee and places like that, but it gets held to this mysticism in the musician culture.

I thought it was relevant and funny. And Bermuda is right. I see it every summer and Christmas when Disney hires the All-American College Band and the student musicians we use for the yearly Christmas parade. And even with that group of people, maybe .05% of them land another regular paying gig within two years.

No disrespect here, mind you. But it is semi-amusing meeting the incoming crop of eager young musicians and then to see them at the end of the gig having done a bit of soul-searching, or having the soul sucked out of them. One year we had a pretty blond girl on saxophone studying music performance at North Texas State. She was so pretty and so blond that she makes a pretty good living as a live Barbie doll for kids parties nowadays.

I'm not doing a bad impersonation of a sound engineer (sound guy?) there, either ;)

I don't see what's funny about the joke.

I guess that you have to be a "Potterhead" to get the humor.

No. I've seen some of the movies. I even worked on one or two of them in post production.

But to me, the "joke" goes back to this thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70094
and threads that are like that.

The joke implies anyone who goes to music school is a fake, or a fraud, and not a real musician.

Bermuda and Bo, of course, make relevant points, that music school doesn't make a music career. That is true. However, some people have gone to Berklee and made a real career, unlike Hogwarts.

I frequently play with two people that have a Berklee education.
They are both excellent musicians and they have taught me many things.
Both of them have high paying jobs that aren't in the music industry.
I have nothing but the highest respect for them.
They also like to joke a bit about Berklee sometimes.
They have a sense of humor about music and life in general.
It's all in good fun.

P.S. I got some snow on that tractor today!
I ran it for about 2 hours to clean up the mess. About 18 inches.
My driveway is 4500 square feet.
To think, My wife yelled at me when I bought it 10 years ago.
She said that we didn't need such an expensive lawn tractor with all those attachments!
The snow blower is better than a plow because it disperses the snow far away and you don't get those high walls of snow at the edge of your driveway.
This thing blows snow up to 20 feet depending on how wet the snow is.

Last edited:
I see it every summer and Christmas when Disney hires the All-American College Band and the student musicians we use for the yearly Christmas parade. And even with that group of people, maybe .05% of them land another regular paying gig within two years.

No disrespect here, mind you. But it is semi-amusing meeting the incoming crop of eager young musicians and then to see them at the end of the gig having done a bit of soul-searching, or having the soul sucked out of them...
You make Disneyland sound like Azkaban!

Maybe the final performance for a grad in senior year is the" Tri-Wizard-Tournament." The MBTA Green Line subway is actually Hogwart's express.
The Boston parking metermaids are Death-eaters flying around the school.
PS Losing your scholarship is the work of Voldemort!

Last edited:
You make Disneyland sound like Azkaban!

Maybe just L.A. in general. But when you think about it, getting a gig with Disney is quite an education by itself, and these young people should be lucky they have a chance to at least audition for an entry-level gig here at all. Those two spots I mentioned aren't union gigs, but you at least get a feel for what it would be like if it was.

And Disneyland musicians, like the famed Tonight Show Orchestra (under Johnny Carson), basically have a job for life once they've established themselves. But I was chatting with one of our musicians here the other day, the general concensus is that if you're not strong enough to weather the storms and frustration of being a working musician in a town of thousands who'd step right in to take your place, you should probably go into something else!

KBadd...I didn't know Harry Potter projected crap? Peeves might though. Jokes aside, I really don't understand what is negative at all about hp.

DED...chill man, I certainly didn't take it as being offensive to Berklee students and graduates, I think you're just reading it wrong.

The Harry Potter books are my favourites, I love the whole world of hp.

Back