Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Old Hyde

Just remembered this incident from the other night. While sharing the kit with the stickers on it, during a song I noticed a red dot on the floor, looked up and the singer from the other band had a pistol out with a laser sight on it. He pointed it at the floor halfway between me and him, finger off the trigger, just making a point in conversation to the drummer next to him. I was a little uneasy. We are friends so I feel there was no danger but I didn't really know how to react to it. I thought it was a stupid thing to do, they were dinking and you just never know. everyone else had a laugh about it but it wasn't the place.

That is big no-no. Finger off the trigger or not, did anyone else know he even had a gun at practice? And not only that, the shooter must always know what is behind his target (the floor in this case), because bullets over travel and do ricochet. In this case, if the gun had gone off, you could have been hit by a ricocheting round.

Guns and alcohol do not mix. I don't care who you are. This is how accidents happen.

I am pro-gun, and I think everyone has the right to own and operate a firearm. But if you are going to do so, you MUST learn proper gun safety, proper operation and maintenance of EVERY firearm you own, and what the ballistics are for your particular firearm because not all bullets act the same and can do some weird things once fired. Band practice is no place for a firearm.

A guy pulled a gun at one of our shows one time, with the intention of using it. One of his friends was able to talk him down, though. Thank goodness it stopped there.

It was kind of funny though, because we had just finished loading the van up, when it happened. As soon as it happened, my bass player just said "Welp! I guess it's time to be hitting the ol' dusty trail!" and we all hurried to the van and got out of there.

Well, not funny that somebody pulled a gun, but funny that my bass player had the presence of mind to respond with that, without hesitation.

Also, for what it's worth, the gun was not directed at any of us, but at some dude he had beef with. He pulled it out right in front of our singer, though, who is like a 5'0" little redhead girl, and she kinda' freaked out. We don't play in that town anymore, because of that instance.

Last edited:
That is big no-no. Finger off the trigger or not, did anyone else know he even had a gun at practice? And not only that, the shooter must always know what is behind his target (the floor in this case), because bullets over travel and do ricochet. In this case, if the gun had gone off, you could have been hit by a ricocheting round.

Guns and alcohol do not mix. I don't care who you are. This is how accidents happen.

I am pro-gun, and I think everyone has the right to own and operate a firearm. But if you are going to do so, you MUST learn proper gun safety, proper operation and maintenance of EVERY firearm you own, and what the ballistics are for your particular firearm because not all bullets act the same and can do some weird things once fired. Band practice is no place for a firearm.

good point, it was a concrete floor under the thin carpet. I never thought of that. I didn't know he was packing. He most likely has a permit for a concealed weapon, however I wasn't happy to see it in his hand. im sure he would spout off about how safe he is if I dared question him about it.

good point, it was a concrete floor under the thin carpet. I never thought of that. I didn't know he was packing. He most likely has a permit for a concealed weapon, however I wasn't happy to see it in his hand. im sure he would spout off about how safe he is if I dared question him about it.

Apparently not as safe as he thinks he is if he put you in a potentially harmful situation. Unfortunately getting a concealed carry permit is not that hard to do. I see too many people, time after time, that don't know how to be safe with a firearm. The worst is when somebody buys a gun, goes to show it off to their friends, and muzzle sweeps everyone in the room because they don't know how to properly handle it safely.

If you had an issue with it being there, you have every right, for your own safety, to request that it not be at practice. If he is reasonable and responsible, he will take you request wholeheartedly, and not give you the "but it is my gun and I am safe with it" speech.

Apparently not as safe as he thinks he is if he put you in a potentially harmful situation. Unfortunately getting a concealed carry permit is not that hard to do. I see too many people, time after time, that don't know how to be safe with a firearm. The worst is when somebody buys a gun, goes to show it off to their friends, and muzzle sweeps everyone in the room because they don't know how to properly handle it safely.

If you had an issue with it being there, you have every right, for your own safety, to request that it not be at practice. If he is reasonable and responsible, he will take you request wholeheartedly, and not give you the "but it is my gun and I am safe with it" speech.

for sure if we ever do this double band practice again I will say something. I hope we don't, it was a long night. They told me wed night that we are doing a triple bill with them and another band this Saturday night. I realllly hope he isn't packing at the bar because that is asking for trouble.

the more I think of it, I was probably more negatively affected by this than I originally thought.

I guess you can gather that I'm pro-gun from my user name

I'm around weapons everyday, from work to home and everywhere in between........but this would have definitely pissed me off..............there is a time and place for everything

Gun safety is non-negotiable................If I were in your shoes, I'd have a talk with him

If he wants to show off his new laser, or whatever he was doing, he needs to take it somewhere safe.........band practice is not the venue

Seems a bit too casual with his firearm. That's not only dangerous, but disrespectful. If you end up having rehearsal in that space with him around again, be prepared to say something should it pop up. Me? I would say something snotty like, "Hope you won't be swinging that gun around my face again."

I've played a gig where I sat in, and the bass player had a revolver in his belt behind his back. Before he put his bass on, he pulled the gun from the front of his pants and moved it to the back. I was staring at that thing practically the whole gig. I didn't feel in danger, but it was kinda weird.

I know one of my bandmates is always packing, but you'd never know it because he doesn't flash it around like this bozo at your rehearsal. Actually, I wouldn't have ever known unless he wouldn't have told me. It was a "just so you know, I have a gun on me at all times" disclaimer, so I nobody would get anxious if we caught a glimpse of it. He's very responsible and considerate (and a good shot, I hear...).

I agree, guns and alcohol DO NOT MIX. Also, no matter whether you are impaired or not, when you pull the trigger you are responsible for everything that bullet does from the moment it leaves the barrel until it comes to a complete stop.

I guess you can gather that I'm pro-gun from my user name

I'm around weapons everyday, from work to home and everywhere in between........but this would have definitely pissed me off..............there is a time and place for everything

Gun safety is non-negotiable................If I were in your shoes, I'd have a talk with him

If he wants to show off his new laser, or whatever he was doing, he needs to take it somewhere safe.........band practice is not the venue

+100

All my friends know I'm a gun-owner and am very pro-gun. I do not tolerate guns where they are not appropriate - I speak up every time. With a respectful, teaching attitude, of course, but you don't get an option - put firearms away unless there is a reason to handle them. Legally concealed handguns are OK, too, just leave them concealed.

Please, speak up should this ever happen again. Don't tolerate firearms where they are not appropriate.

My 2 centavos.

If he has a concealed carry license the he needs to keep it concealed. If he wants to play tellhim to take it out side and leave it out side

That type of crap is just ridiculous.

I have a few relatives (all of whom are in AA now) who each have more than one story that goes like this:

"when I was drinking, I was showing so and so my gun and I thought it was empty..."

Every story ends the same, with an accidental discharge. They are all just lucky they didn't kill someone.

errr..no...just....no...

Pulling a live weapon of any sort in a populated area not designated for weapon use shows poor judgement.

Ban the guy or remove yourself...just not worth it...even if you are not the one hurt...

...and this applies to all manner of designated weapons...not just firearms.(no exposed steel, batons, taser, mace...etc...) or horsing around with ammo...or lighters/flamable content spray cans...etc...

...no martial arts show-offs(especially play fighting or wrestling - as this tends to anger someone and a real fight breaks out)

Such activities are for isolated areas and with proper training/supervision.

Check out the #1 cause of death for young people...accidents...and a significant proportion are weapon/"horsing around" related.

Dont get me started re: mixing weapon horseplay with drugs...

I'm pro gun...having said that...that idiot should NOT EVER own a gun.

Just because you can,dosen't me you should own a gun.

Basic gun safety rules were violated here.

1) the gun is always loaded...period

2) never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy

3) finger off the trigger till you're on the target.

4) be sure of your target and backstop.

There are NO exception to the above rules...ever

If that was me,I would be kicking that guys ass,and yes I've done it before.I would then hand him back what was left of his gun,after I at the very least,destroyed the barrel.

I truly hate to see stories like this,because it's only a matter of when,and not if,that moron will hurt someone else or himself.

Steve B

I don't own a gun and in all likelihood never will. That does not mean I'm anti-gun though for the sane people who are capable of managing the process of "bearing arms".

This person would of violated every inch of trust I would of had for him. I'd absolutely let him know as such. No freaking way would I tolerate that.

Stupidity and ignorance at that level shouldn't be ignored.

That guy is a major a-hole.

Totally agree. A gun is not a conversation piece, unless you in a private place or a shooting range or gun store. Waving it around in public to impress people is really, really stupid, obnoxious and dangerous.

This person is a terrible accident waiting to happen. Stay far, far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back