Gibraltar Hi Hat Stability Problem (maybe?)

7Tekku

Okay, so I bought the Gibraltar 9607 two legged (with that third extra dinky leg) Hi Hat stand like a few days ago, and well, I've been having some stability problems. Maybe it's not a problem at all and I'm just being overly picky and OCD and all that jazz. Maybe it's the fact that it is a two legged stand, but when I play on it and whatnot, it jiggles very slightly. Lol, again Idk if it's an actual problem or I'm just nit picking.

I have a 2 legged dw and I found the height you set the legs relative to the base plate is important, also the floor surface. I wouldn't worry much so long as it doesn't fall over.

I have a 2 legged dw and I found the height you set the legs relative to the base plate is important, also the floor surface. I wouldn't worry much so long as it doesn't fall over.

Well, I've tried many different things, but it seems like I have the legs are as flat/ low as they go. I've seen the pearl eliminator and the tama iron cobra two legged hi hat stands and they don't move at all, unlike my Gibraltar. Maybe it's just poor design :/

Well, I've tried many different things, but it seems like I have the legs are as flat/ low as they go. I've seen the pearl eliminator and the tama iron cobra two legged hi hat stands and they don't move at all, unlike my Gibraltar. Maybe it's just poor design :/

You should be able to actually flatten the bipod till the stirrup of the hi-hat (beneath the chain and your toes) actually is almost off the floor. Often this creates a "tripod" between the two legs and the heel of the pedal, and it stabilizes.

You could also connect your hi-hat to another stand to steady it. Until I learned the secret of my hi-hat stand, I used what appears to be a very rudimentary, antique "multi-clamp" that I found in a random parts bin and bought for two dollars. I would attach one end to the hi-hat stand and the other to a nearby cymbal stand (see picture). But a DW Dogbone would work equally well.

Attachments

• hatbrace.jpg
    hatbrace.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 186
Yeah, "right out of the box", it's not going to work the best it can.
I had that stand (a Liquid Drive) and you need to adjust it around a bit first, then tighten it down.
The 3rd leg might need to be adjusted depending on the various floors/riser you are on, but, that's why it's adjustable anyway.

I had the Liquid Drive for gigging around 4 years, and it was pretty hassle free after I had it adjusted. The 2 main legs on mine needed to be adjusted to not be perfectly square with the foot board just a bit. I thought it was weird (the small leg stabilized it fine), but my 2 leg DW hat stands (2) also work best when the foot board is not directly in line with the legs, so I just take it as "that's what works" with these type of stands.

Good luck!

Karl describes what needs to be done to get a little more stability. But even the Pearl H2000 I have isn't as rock-steady as the cheapo single-braced three-legged stand I have.

Thing is, a little movement doesn't really matter. The stand isn't going anywhere, and it's really a small, small bit of sway anyways.

Back