Yamaha Recording Custom made in England dates ??

samPetit81

Hi,

I have a yamaha recording custom in red hot finish made in england.
He is the problem :

the serials number / model of the drums are:

JL 0086 / FT914RC
JM 0177 / BD920RF
JL 0062 / TT910RC

with written underneath MADE IN ENGLAND.

Here is where the problem comes in:

the first letter of the serial numbers "j" would mean they were made in 1983

(according to this
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/806/4177/
)

But from what i found online, Yamaha drums weren't made in England until late 1980 (I think 1987).

Anyone can help me?! Where or when were my drums made?? Why the date?

The early ones were made in Taiwan. Then later in Japan. The only Yamahas that were made in England were the Power V drums to my knowledge. I think the early ones went by 9000 series and when the started making them in Japan they called them recording customs. I'm not a authority on the subject though.

The "JL-XXXX" serials refers to 1993 not 1983. I've seen many drums referred to as "early eighties" when in fact they are not.

I have a 1983 RC kit with two letter serial numbers (thinner shells, bearing edges matching the interiors) with RA (recording artist?) in the model number.

This is also given by color and sizes on the drums. Yamaha wasn't making Power sizes until 1984. Hope this helps.

The early ones were made in Taiwan. Then later in Japan. The only Yamahas that were made in England were the Power V drums to my knowledge. I think the early ones went by 9000 series and when the started making them in Japan they called them recording customs. I'm not a authority on the subject though.

Yamaha made 9000/Recording Custom series drums in the UK throughout their ownership of Premier (1987-1992).

Premier's serial numbers are notorious for meaning precisely nothing and I'd guess that this is the same for the 9000s that were made in the UK too.

Ah I understand a bit more now

I've sent the question to yamaha's support, I'll let you guys know when I have the official answer!

The "JL-XXXX" serials refers to 1993 not 1983. I've seen many drums referred to as "early eighties" when in fact they are not.

I have a 1983 RC kit with two letter serial numbers (thinner shells, bearing edges matching the interiors) with RA (recording artist?) in the model number.

This is also given by color and sizes on the drums. Yamaha wasn't making Power sizes until 1984. Hope this helps.

Yes but then I think yamaha stopped making drums in England in 1992 so this theory doesn't really fit does it?

About the sizes only the bass drum is in that category the rest are classic sizes I checked that with model numbers

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Got an answer from a yamaha expert here was the answer:

The year is actually referred in Japanese years as opposed to our system.

The J which represents a 3 is actually referring to the 63th year of Showa (I don't know how this is said in English hopefully you guys understand). And so the 63th year showa is our 1988 which does fit in the 87-92 English production years.

Hopefully this helps some of you!

The 63rd year of Showa is in Yoda time (LOL), so if they sound good don't worry about it, just play them.

The 63rd year of Showa is in Yoda time (LOL), so if they sound good don't worry about it, just play them.

Well I don't know what is yoda time but I was told it refers to showa years basically haha.

A lot of confusion in these serial numbers this is the first time I found a credible answer

Back