THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

I've had many snares in my life: Mapex Saturn, Dunnett, DW, etc... but I have to admit that the Mapex Saturn remains one of the best ones so far...

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

carterrrrrrrr.jpg

carter used it with dave matthews band on the central park album, i think he uses ocheltree snare drums otherwise. but anyway, this snare has the best crack ive ever heard. it exploads, and then you dont expect it to have such incredible sensativity at low volumes. no ring, overtones get a listen for yourself

I love the look of these, never played a Dunnet snare but if they taste as good as they smell the you must be a happy man!

Here is my Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 and the Supraphonic I gave to my church. Peace and goodwill.

What's the story with the Supra wearing bowties? Is this a reclamation project? Took me off-guard for a second...

Hello, i want to buy a new snare. I prefer an 6.5 aluminium one because i like the sound of them.

- Pearl Sensitone Alu
- Tama Starphonic Alu (not exactly 6.5)
- New Ludwig Acrolite Limited edition.

The pearl is the cheapest one, the tama the best build (strainer, lugs etc) and the Ludwig has the best reputation (but i find the strainer pretty weak). What will be the best choice, i sometimes think that especially the Acrolite is overpriced and that you pay extra for the Ludwig badge.

What do you think ?

Thanks in Advance... Frank (NL)

Not sure how good this one sounds, but it looks freaking awesome. It's from a local company from down here in SC called MBW drums.

7.75x13, 20-ply maple, custom made brass hardware.

ballersnare_zps5fd13c31.jpg

Thought I'd leave a stamp on this thread with my new Zebrawood custom snare.
I posted a thread showing it but I guess this thread here is the place to show your snare drums.

Bought it from some guy who makes a custom exotic wood line of snare drums on his own:
http://www.miara-drums.com/

sorry for the poor quality:
601047_10200876001135734_117303637_n.jpg

375706_10200876021176235_336811755_n.jpg

The sellers picture:
zebrawood-145-5-01.jpg

Hi, I'm a newbie!

561324_507254199335844_717630082_n_zpsf00226f6.jpg

Evett's Jarrah ply with Blackheart veneer

These guys are Australian based snare makers - I hadn't heard of them till just recently.
I cam across this vid on the tube, not the same as the pic but man! it's nice!

Evetts 14x8 Blue Gum, Huon Pine Veneer Snare Drum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWfWaFqA7Tg

Hi, I'm a newbie!

561324_507254199335844_717630082_n_zpsf00226f6.jpg

Evett's Jarrah ply with Blackheart veneer

These guys are Australian based snare makers - I hadn't heard of them till just recently.
I cam across this vid on the tube, not the same as the pic but man! it's nice!

Evetts 14x8 Blue Gum, Huon Pine Veneer Snare Drum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWfWaFqA7Tg
Nice! Pity the audio is processed with reverb added. Welcome to the forum :)

So, I've been obsessed with brass snares recently. I want to get a new one, and I originally wanted a Black Beauty, but I can't afford the $650+ price tag.

I looked up the Black Magic line, and I really like the way they sound. And it's almost half the price.

Any of you guys used a Black Magic, and if so, how does it compare to the Black Beauty? Is the sound that much different? To me, it honestly looks like the BB just uses the heavy duty hardware, and that's the only difference.

So, I've been obsessed with brass snares recently. I want to get a new one, and I originally wanted a Black Beauty, but I can't afford the $650+ price tag.

I looked up the Black Magic line, and I really like the way they sound. And it's almost half the price.

Any of you guys used a Black Magic, and if so, how does it compare to the Black Beauty? Is the sound that much different? To me, it honestly looks like the BB just uses the heavy duty hardware, and that's the only difference.

I think you should give the Pork Pie BOB a try. I've had the Bob and a lot of other brass snares sitting right beside one another and for the price, the Bob is perfect for less money.

What's the story with the Supra wearing bowties? Is this a reclamation project? Took me off-guard for a second...

I bought it from Ebay like that, and it has been the source of much speculation since I bought it several years ago. It must have been some sort of special order back in the day. Peace and goodwill.

I own both the BB and the BM in 6.5 x 14. The BM is a great snare, at less than half the price, it is a great substitute for the BB.

I own both the BB and the BM in 6.5 x 14. The BM is a great snare, at less than half the price, it is a great substitute for the BB.

I used to play deep wood snare tuned high for 15+ years (most recently Gretsch 7x14 maple snare) until I tried the Yamaha 3.5x14 David Garibaldi signature brass snare. The best snare I've ever had by a country mile. The model is discontinued in Europe but you can find it in Japan for a reasonable price (cost me less than $400 including shipping fee). That snare is extremely versatile despite the piccolo size. Looks great too!!

Attachments

• DGSS1.png
    DGSS1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • DGSS2.png
    DGSS2.png
    61 KB · Views: 1,580
  • DGSS3.png
    DGSS3.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,566
Last edited:
VLT 14x6. My fave wood snare. Tons of character and tone.

Attachments

• VLT snare 2 9922.jpg
    VLT snare 2 9922.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 1,526
  • vlt snare 3.jpg
    vlt snare 3.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • VLT snare 1.jpg
    VLT snare 1.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 1,507
Picked this Truth Custom up a few days ago!
14x6 Maple Stave Shell w/ oak veneer, mini tube lugs
It came with a cheap throw off but i swapped that out for a dunnett!
1098151_494891633935579_554246302_n.jpg
1095045_495071083917634_136281318_n.jpg

Back