Shovel As A Cymbal? You gotta see this.

He had the disk? Hmmmm.

Brake drum is the authentic brake drum sound. The disc and drum of the brakes have different pitches and tamber's.

Well he had a brake drum, which is presumably called such because it resembles the musical instrument known as the drum. So I think it's kind of cool to see one actually employed as a percussion instrument. Fascinating set up : tympani, cymbals galore, roto-toms, tin cans, brake drum and of course, a a trine (which was invented for the show).

Well he had a brake drum, which is presumably called such because it resembles the musical instrument known as the drum. So I think it's kind of cool to see one actually employed as a percussion instrument. Fascinating set up : tympani, cymbals galore, roto-toms, tin cans, brake drum and of course, a a trine (which was invented for the show).

I don't know what he had... brake drum, or disk.

Brake drums are called such because the assembly when together is an enclosed drum. A brake disk could be said to resemble a cymbal, or more so anyway than a brake drum does.

Pics below of garden variety brake drum and disk. Which was in the pit?

Attachments

• Brak`e d`rum.png
    Brak`e d`rum.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Brk disk.png
    Brk disk.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 96
Which was in the pit?

Below, left, is a picture I clipped from the internet, from a different production of Les Miserables. But similar to what I saw in the pit in Schenectady.

----

So maybe Cam's shovel concept not so far-fetched, after all. And maybe the Admin.'s would consider changing the name of this thread, for ongoing discussion in the general topic of Found-Object / Folk percussion, if there was enough interest ?

----

Finally... impressionable lad that I am, I came home from the show, and ordered myself a Matt Nolan aluminum trine, which arrived a couple of days ago. I strung it up alongside some of my other metallic favorites (middle & right photo's). Just waiting for someone to produce a bluegrass/Appalachian take on Les Miserables !! I'd be their guy !!

Attachments

• lm.JPG
    lm.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 83
  • metal4517_3.jpg
    metal4517_3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 80
  • metal4518a.jpg
    metal4518a.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 80
  • metal4522a.jpg
    metal4522a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 80
Ugh just another boring pic of the same old same old setup ;)

Wow that must inspire some righteous creativity! Would be a fun challenge, but a challenge indeed, for me at least.

Back