Bass pedal toe stop

Mastiff

I have a DW5000 pedal I like a lot. It has this optional toe stop thing you can attach. Without it I sometimes find my foot pushed up all the way against the chain, but with the stop it sometimes feels like I can't get my foot up as far as I'd like. On the other hand, in some faster cases I feel like I have great control pressing against that stop and pushing more forward (vs. down).

I think some other brands of pedals have that stop built in to the pedal itself.

Anyway, just curious if people have opinions about those stops.

I usually take mine off so I have more freedom of movement on the footboard. One learns not to put the toe into the chain in time, so that becomes a non-issue pretty quick.

With the weight of the foot 2/3 up the board, where it should be, I'm not even close to the chain.

I've never liked them and never needed them. So if I get a pedal with one, I take it off. But none of my DW pedals came with one. I like how the old Tama pedals from the 70s rose up a little bit at the top of the pedalboard, my foot could feel it was getting close to the strap. But my technique is such that the ball of my foot is about 1/3 down from the top most of the time.

I have never liked toe stops. Luckily for me, none of the pedals I have owned came with a toe stop, but if I end up buying one that does, I will take it off before I even set it up with the kit.

I have a pedal that’s supposed to have a toe stop. It hasn’t bothered me that it’s not there, but it would increase the value of it if I was to get one because it’s a collectible Asba Caroline pedal.

Along these lines I have a question for those who don't experience the foot slide issue. Do you play heel up? Do you have certain shoes you like with sticky soles?

I find I alternate heel up and heel down, but down is my default. Just less energy. When I play barefoot my feet stay put, but when I wear shoes they slide up the pedal, over the toe stop up against the chain. Maybe it's my soles are too slippery?

I have no idea why they put them on there. Maybe it was requested so much or just an idea. I don't have a clue. I always take it off because I don't have a use for it.

I've taken it off of all the pedals I've had that had it.
Far too much extra weight to carry to a gig.

Same as most others here, my foot is about two-thirds the way up the board so I don't use the toe stop.
I play mostly heel-up, not burying the beater.
I don't wear any particular soles, it's the same in any shoes.

I don't known if I've had pedals that had toe stops, but I can remember getting my toes in the chain when I was first starting out, and it wasn't pleasant. That was back in the early 90s. Now if my toes are anywhere near the front of the foot boards there are bigger issues. Generally, I have my feet in the middle 1/3 of the foot boards.

I don't like any toe stops on my kick pedals but love ones on my hats' pedals which saves my shoes from ruin.

Back