The Grand Master Buddy Rich

There is nothing that anyone could say that could ever minimize that man's drumming in my book. He was, and still is, light years ahead of the rest of the drumming world.
If there was ever a Mt Rushmore of drummers, his face would certainly have to be included.

Stumbled upon this little beauty- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ5eGEest0g&feature=player_embedded

- This is one of two surviving sound films of Charlie Parker playing (and certainly the longest; the other is only 52 seconds long). Until recently, this film was a rumor, and only still photos of it existed.

Watch Bird's amused expression as he watches Hawkins solo, and also how he cuts off the older Tenor man's solo. Although the musicians are filmed playing against tracks recorded earlier, it's still a fascinating and rare look at Bird on film, and a young Buddy in a quartet format. Sweet!

1. Ballad (Hawkins, Bird, Jones, Brown, Rich)

2. Celebrity (Bird, Jones, Brown, Rich)

Personnel:
Charlie Parker (as)
Coleman Hawkins (ts)
Hank Jones (p)
Ray Brown (b)
Buddy Rich (d)

I am always excited to show the percussion section at school videos of Buddy Rich. The kids are captivated by the man just like I have always been. I met Buddy when I was 17. It was without a doubt, the most memorable night of my life.

I figured most around here love a little controversy :)

so why not throw this up.....Buddy always knew how to get peoples goat

buddyo.jpg

Well, I've heard a fair number of interviews where he chides rock drumming.
Other quotes:
"they've got the sticks all wrong"
" What do they got? All they got is this" (and rolls down the toms.... 12, 16,...etc)."
" ya got nothin' without a solid, proper single stroke roll.... if you don't have that, you can't even start"

He was great.

What was the advert even for? And i love Buddy's playing, but man did he do some trolling..

Sad but true i guess. ;)

Back