Griffin Inexpensive Drum Throne With Backrest, Any Good?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I was looking for a low priced lightweight throne with a backrest to use as a knock around throne for my practice sessions and small gigs.
I mainly want it for use with my Sonor Safari Jungle kit.
I stumbled upon this low priced throne by Griffin.
It only weighs 20 LBS. Price is only $40US.
Has anyone had any experience with this product.
Reviews wanted.
I don't expect it to be as good as a high end throne. I own high end thrones.
I am mainly interested to know if it is good enough to use with confidence for a few hours a week when I play a small gig or at a short practice.
http://www.acedivisioninc.com/Drum-Throne-with-Back-Rest.html

Attachments

• TS350-Drum-Throne-Back-Rest.jpg
    TS350-Drum-Throne-Back-Rest.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,885
The stand base looks strong enough.
They don't show the bottom so the metal underneath the seat can't be seen.
I may buy the throne, try it, and send it back if it is crap.
If it is good then it will be a great inexpensive throne.
If I find a minor weak spot in the throne I may reinforce it in my shop at no cost to me except a few mins of my time.
I will be the test monkey on this one.
I am about 200 LBS so I will be a fair test for the 250 pound limit that is stated in the ad.
I like finding inexpensive things that work.
It makes me feel good when I find something that others overlook because it shouldn't be good and it is.
The company has a one year warranty so I will have plenty of time to try the product.

Go fer' it Bob!

...just realized that your username is Bob-da-druma, not Boba-druma...hmm, I learned something new today.

Again, no experience with this throne but the only issue I see is the actual seat looks a little small. That might get uncomfortable sitting on that thing for hours at a time...it could just be perspective of the photo though.

Let us know how this turns out.

On an unrelated note, I've been having a problem with the wingscrew on my cheap OP throne slipping. You seem mechanically inclined Bob(a). Any way I could send you a few pics of this cheap throne for some advice on how to remedy this issue. I don't wanna clutter up your thread any further...

The seat looks a bit small as in diameter. Don't want body parts hanging off the sides. But can't tell what the diameter is.

The seat dia is 12 inches. It states it in the link that I posted above the pic.
A round 12 inch seat will fit into my soft hardware bag. I have a 12 inch round throne now that fits into my bag. I may have to install wing nuts on the backrest mount so that I can detach it with ease when packing my compact kit.
That is my goal, I want to have a light inexpensive throne with a backrest that fits into a 15" x 36" hardware bag with all of the other hardware for my Jungle kit.

Last edited:
Update, I wound up buying a Union throne with motorcycle seat and backrest from Casico Music for about $100.
It isn't too bad! It has a 4 leg base. Its thick, strong, and sturdy. The backrest is springy. adjustable, and comfortable.
The padding on the seat is thick and firm.
It has a bit of wobble where the height adjustable screw post screws into the base but it is real strong and its not the kind of wobble that makes you feel insecure like its going to break or fall over.
It is a good low priced throne that I can leave at my friends studio where I leave an inexpensive kit for weekly practice sessions.
If you are looking for an inexpensive knock around throne with a backrest then the Union throne will work.

Like I mentioned the only things that I can find that are design faults are the slight wobble and also the seat is on the firm side and not soft like high end thrones.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/3563...ddle-Seat-Drum-Throne-w-Backrest-TFL395H.aspx

Attachments

• Products35634-635x575-909668.jpeg
    Products35634-635x575-909668.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,357
Last edited:
Back