My new/used Ludwig Black Beauty Millenium Brass Edition snare drum

JClutchD

My new/used Ludwig Chrome Over Brass snare drum

Hey guys, just picked up this snare drum and I'm absolutely in love with it. I love the looks of it and I love, love, love the sound of it! I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. It has a few scratches and dings but I couldn't care less. My band loves it too, perfect for our type of music.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I'm thinking about putting a P-86 on my Supra now. It's soooo much better.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,947
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 1,191
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
It looks great. The first pic makes it look as if you checked off the miniature fancy red Solo cup throw off option.

Very nice indeed. I also recently acquired a BB and I really like mine too.
They are iconic great sounding snare drums.
Enjoy :)

Not to nitpick, but that looks like chrome over brass. The Black Beauty is black nickel over brass. Not that there is a whole lot of difference between the two, just sayin'. Great score either way.

Re: My new/used Ludwig Chrome Over Brass snare drum

Thanks guys!

Not to nitpick, but that looks like chrome over brass. The Black Beauty is black nickel over brass. Not that there is a whole lot of difference between the two, just sayin'. Great score either way.

You're right, my bad! I'm trying to change the title of the thread, but it won't let me. Oh well.

BEAUTIFUL snare drum. Love the die cast. I bought one of those throw offs and I found it to be a total piece of crap. They look great, but function bad. Really sucks for a brass snare, I would hate to have to drill new mounting holes and have no way to fill the old ones, so how much do you dislike the throw off?

Oops, my bad, I misread your post. it seems you like this throw off, well I happen to have one.................

I have one of the two, but my P86 is brass plated, yours doesn't appear like it from your pictures. Normally I don't like diecast hoops on metal shell snare drums, but this snare sounds really great with the brass plated diecast hoops. I swapped the batter head out for an Evans 360 reverse dot Power Centre head. This is now my go to Rock gig snare drum.

Here is mine pictured with my engraved Black Beauty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 982
BEAUTIFUL snare drum. Love the die cast. I bought one of those throw offs and I found it to be a total piece of crap. They look great, but function bad. Really sucks for a brass snare, I would hate to have to drill new mounting holes and have no way to fill the old ones, so how much do you dislike the throw off?

Oops, my bad, I misread your post. it seems you like this throw off, well I happen to have one.................

No worries! What kind of issues did you have with your P-86? I'm really diggin' it.

I have one of the two, but my P86 is brass plated, yours doesn't appear like it from your pictures. Normally I don't like diecast hoops on metal shell snare drums, but this snare sounds really great with the brass plated diecast hoops. I swapped the batter head out for an Evans 360 reverse dot Power Centre head. This is now my go to Rock gig snare drum.

Wow, that engraved BB is friggin' gorgeous! You're a lucky man. And I'm not normally big on diecast hoops on metal snares either, but this thing sounds so good that I can't imagine it sounding better with flanged hoops.

I contacted John Aldridge about engraving my COB supraphonic, but he said the chrome plating is too thick to engrave properly. Too bad because the snare would look beautiful engraved.

really great with the brass plated diecast hoops.

Just so you know, those hoops are freakin solid brass die cast. I have a brass on brass BB, 2 actually, and I took a sharp tool to the insides of one of my hoops to check...Yea, it's brass through and through. Love those hoops, they really sing. Not only that, but AFAIK, it's the only brass hoop you can get on a new drum. (somebody correct me if I'm off here) I like the look of the COB even more than the NOB. A lot more.That's just a seriously sexy drum in my eyes.

Back