The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Oh Wow! Thanks Mr. Bernhard. Just another amazing classic video of, imo, the greatest drummer to ever live, Buddy Rich. Just incredible!

Thank You again, sir.

Just to be able to play singles like that in the traditional grip would suit me just fine. where is Matt Smith for a few lessons??

Holy s**t! Oh baby! What can you say after watching that?

It had to have been very weird, being Buddy Rich and knowing that you were the greatest. I can definitely see how that could do a number on your head, you know?

And I absolutely love the sound of the ride cymbal he's playing in that clip. Anyone have any idea what it is, other than the fact that it's a Zildjian?

I find it unfathomable how the band comes in after the drumsolo right in time...Where's the 1? I think the audience should be required to wear seatbelts the way he drives that band...

I find it unfathomable how the band comes in after the drumsolo right in time...Where's the 1? I think the audience should be required to wear seatbelts the way he drives that band...

Yeah, that blew me away again. Surely there wasn't a count through all of that maniacal intensity?? If the count started somewhere, can anyone work out what the cue was?.These guys were on another planet.

From what I've read about Buddy's personality, he perfectly expressed his character with that solo - a bit like a Jackson Pollock furiously hurling blobs of red paint onto a giant canvas. Very powerful.

Yeah, that blew me away again. Surely there wasn't a count through all of that maniacal intensity?? If the count started somewhere, can anyone work out what the cue was?.These guys were on another planet.

From what I've read about Buddy's personality, he perfectly expressed his character with that solo - a bit like a Jackson Pollock furiously hurling blobs of red paint onto a giant canvas. Very powerful.

The count started at 3:30'ish

I remember seeing that footage years ago when I was a kid. It impressed me no end at the time......needless to say, when Tommy Lee did it years later, I was first amongst my peers to say "it's already been done!!". Unfortunately, there was no youtube at the time to back up my claim.

I love this clip.

The guy widely considered the best drummer to ever live did something purely for a visual effect!!

Another reason I laugh when someone tries to say serious drummers don't twirl their sticks or engage is showy behavior.

As the 'old guy' here i guess, remember seeing Buddy at Musician's Exchange in South Florida (when the club was super small and over the store on ?Sunrise? Blvd). Yes, a great guy, wonderful showmanship. That, and much more as he did, is all part of being an entertainer.

Back