What type, brand brushes did Buddy Rich use?

Buddy Rich's brushes were specially made for him. As a matter of fact the brushes are still made and if you are familiar with Donny Osborne, I believe it's his brother that made the brushes for him and still makes them to this day if you are interested. I'm unsure of how to actually order them. If you contact Donny Osborne (who is Buddy Rich's protege just in case you didn't know) i believe you may be able to acquire a pair. The website is http://www.donnyosborne.com/

I hope i was able to be of some assistance.

The below commenter is correct. I am Donny's agent and B in fact used custom made brushes that were made by Donny's brother Tom. Tommy and Donny worked at Slingerland during the Buddy years and were close to BR because of their father Don Sr. being the president of Slingerland at the time. Tommy still makes the brushes for Donny and will make them for all drummers upon request. You can send Tom a note thru Donny's site at [email protected]. For more info on Donny go to www.donnyosborne.com. Thanks for asking.

I'm sure the same was true with sticks as well. Although Vic Firth Buddy Rich models are nice, I'm not sure how 'signature' they can be since they came out after Buddy's time. I think Donny uses ProMark now. I think it's amazing how much he resembles Buddy, even the way he sits at the kit. Anyway, a lot of jazz drummers today are using Regal Tip brushes (Jeff Hamilton, Clayton Cameron to name a couple) I wonder what Louie Bellson uses, or even how much playing he does anymore... Ed Shaughnessy is a ProMark endorser although I'm not sure what kind of brushes though, same with Joe Morello.

Good call and correct. Donny does use ProMark sticks. All of his gear is really "off the rack" except for the brushes. DW drums and hardware, A. Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Roland VDrums and ProMark sticks. However, he and Don Lombardi at DW have had a many year relationship/friendship so he does receive protypes from the company.

Under an arrangement with Tom Osborne and his company Brush Fire the brushes that Buddy Rich used and Donny Osborne uses to this day can be purchased for $20 retail plus shipping by contacting Brush Fire thru Donny Osborne's website. www.donnyosborne.com or [email protected] and ask for your message to be forwarded to Attn: Tom Osborne

Back