Alternatives to Westone custom ear plugs?

JimmyTheMonkey

I am in the market for some more versitle hearing protection (believe it or not, I am not keen on wearing my Vic Firth Isolations to a Foo Fighters concert). I have looked around the forum and the only audiologist-created in-ear plugs I could find are the Westone 49s. Is this this because they are best? Are there any other brands I should look out for? What is everyone else's experience? I plan on using them to drum at home, and to attend concerts and races (I do a lot of all 3).

My local audiologist is not on their list of recommended dealers, but I am sure they could order them if need be.

Interesting. Those certainly are a lot cheaper. Whenever I have used earplugs like that in the past, they cut out a lot of the sound, especially the high range. They also aren't that comfortable either. Are they really a substitute for a custom ear plug, or close to it? Or just an alternative that is much cheaper?

Hearing loss and that high pitched ring could be two different things. The ringing could be tinnitis. When we do lose our hearing we normally lose it in frequency ranges that have been too loud.

I10-85-cochlea2.jpg

here's a picture as to what i was saying... the 20khz part is the part that's closest to the opening of the ear, and thats generally why you loose hearing from your high end first...

I don't know that any ear plug is a true substitute for custom ear plugs. However any ear protection is better than none in my book. My understanding from a clinic I went to on in ear systems is it's usually the higher frequencies that do the damage to your hearing.

Westone 49s. Is this this because they are best? Are there any other brands I should look out for? What is everyone else's experience?

WESTONES have little filter tabs you select for the amount of db reduction you desire. My experience with them was that after time the tabs would not fit as tight as new. The tabs were prone to falling out and eventually did. Try replacing one too... pricey.

After about 2 years my ear pieces hardened to the point where they were uncomfortable to wear. That was a shocker, opened them up one day and they were like stiff plastic, ouch!

$150+ investment to which I say "Not worth it". They're not 'all that'. You spend $150 so you want to like them, you give them every chance, but w/time the reality came for me... they were crap, not worth it.

Im much happier wearing cheap rubber plugs when I need to, way more comfortable and if I loose one/them, I don't care.

Thank you Les. As someone who has tried both cheap and the Westones, did the Westones provide a better sound? They really advertise them as not compromising audio quality, but are they any better than the Vatar ones?

The sensaphonic brand is better in my opinion and I've owned multiple pairs from both companies. The sensaphonics seal much better as they're made out of a softer rubber and they go farther into your ear such that they stay in for a proper fit.

Recently i bought a pair of ear plugs from safetydirect.Really they are very helpful to me and helped a lot for my insnomia.They are Disposable or reusable, easy-to-clean earplugs with plastic carrier and also Ideal for hardhats - can be worn with band under the
chin or behind the neck,If you want you can visit that website.Many varieties are there. I rellay enjoyed shopping online in that website www.safetydirect.ie

I'm a guitar player and I found the Etymotic ER20 plugs protect me from the loud drums and amps. They are quite inexpensive compared to custom plugs. They don't alter my tone so much that I feel compelled to turn up the treble on my amp like the foam earplugs I was using earlier. For the price I would recomend them highly.

Here's a link: http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

Back