Steve Hass

Bob Steve's on tour right now with Alan Pasqua and Derek Oles with singer Janis Siegel. I saw them at Birdland with Ben Street on bass a few years ago. Pretty amazing jazz trio, always serving the music.

I recently heard we should be expecting a brand new "steve hass" signature stick from VIC FIRTH. He made the switch from Regal Tip. I can't wait to try this. The range of gigs he does is very wide, so the stick should be very versatile.

A Steve Hass stick should be pretty interesting, I play all sorts of stuff when out gigging so might have a look at it.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

Yea, some artist signature sticks make interesting claims, like the Tommy Igoe stick. The taper and bead on that give me such a washy uncontrollable cymbal sound on low volume gigs. I'm really looking for one stick that cover jazz and rock. I have heard this claim made but it's never been true. Maybe this is the one. Anyone know how to get it?

the Steve Hass youtube channel is pretty intense. The guy is a complete natural at the instrument. Amazing time keeping and playing so many different styles with the coinciding sounds. No one is like him. www.youtube.com/hassbeatdrumchannel watching and listening to him go from Scofield, to Manhattan Transfer, to hardbob and the country is pretty amazing to me.

Ok to make it clear:

If you google Steve Hass Drummerworld Website comes up - NOT the forum.

When the attack came in there were 18'500 guests on the forum constantly same time for some days - and all visiting this Steve Hass Thread. My Server Experts had no other possibility to delete that thread or closing the forum for some time.

So we decided to go the easier way.

The 5 or six visitors from Modern Drummer are welcome and really no problem!!

Bernhard

yes but when people google a drummer's name and go to their page on this site, they THEN go to the forum for discussion. You don't have to be directed to forum immediately to get here. It's easy to find once you're directed to the site. Not only that, but when you google simply STEVE HASS, this forum DOES come up as Steve's name is all over this thread. It comes up several times in fact as I just did it.
So really, the logic Bernard posted here doesn't make sense. What makes sense is that out of all the hundreds of thousands of readers of a global drum magazine, 18,000 came here. If you think about all the drummer's in the world that read MD or sought out Steve Hass or any other name drummer online, 18,000 is not a big number after a magazine promotion.
If you look at Hass' thread in the House Of Drumming website it has the 2nd highest views, the first being Vinnie Colaiuta.

yes but when people google a drummer's name and go to their page on this site, they THEN go to the forum for discussion. You don't have to be directed to forum immediately to get here. It's easy to find once you're directed to the site. Not only that, but when you google simply STEVE HASS, this forum DOES come up as Steve's name is all over this thread. It comes up several times in fact as I just did it.
So really, the logic Bernard posted here doesn't make sense. What makes sense is that out of all the hundreds of thousands of readers of a global drum magazine, 18,000 came here. If you think about all the drummer's in the world that read MD or sought out Steve Hass or any other name drummer online, 18,000 is not a big number after a magazine promotion.
If you look at Hass' thread in the House Of Drumming website it has the 2nd highest views, the first being Vinnie Colaiuta.
Bernhard probably knows how these numbers crunch as well as anyone on the Internet. I'm with him on this one. Funny you mentioned HOD. I assumed from the start this was some mischief concocted by a handful of their more tragically hip forum guys...who probably thought is was funny to goof a little with a mainstream forum...not Holmes etc...but a lot of us know there are some characters at that place. Haas is great, but those numbers were fishy from the start.

Sure? I think, you confound months and days..... Drummerworld has more visitors a day (65'000) as Modern Drummer in a month. Forum has less than 2000 visits a day...

Not sure, why this comes up again, but closure of the forumthread was caused by a massive hacker attack of the server ( 5000 hits in 30 seconds) and the only solution - beside closing down the forum - was deleting this thread.

Bernhard

Last edited:
Well I'm not arguing as you would have the numbers to your own site, which in and of itself is a great resource. I appreciate it being here.
Having worked in internet promotion and social media markets, I don't see a number like that being unusual after a press event like MD. I follow his twitter as well which has over 1,000 followers, which is very high for a sideman musician. His youtube #'s are high too. Just saying. You may be right, but I too may be right. I do know modern drummer sells many thousands of copies globally, otherwise they could not afford to make such an in depth publication.
I was on the old HOD board, but I found their obsession with Dave Weckl and Vinnie too one sided. When the new forum came up, I never signed up. I do check in once in a while to see if there are any interesting topics. I prefer this forum, although lately I haven't been to any.

Has anyone visited Steve's facebook or twitter lately? Seems he's been in the studio nonstop and touring 4 profile artists since fall of 2012, Patti Austin(Pop,R+B,Jazz), New York Voices(jazz,fusion, latin), Keiko Matsui (Smooth Jazz, Fusion, World), and Manhattan Transfer. WOW. I found this video of him with Patti Austin, it's KILLER and his time is just impeccable. Doesn't MOVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOownx91o0U

Back