Trick Pedal vs. DW 9002

Anyone have experience with both? I currently use some generic double pedal from Pulse, but am looking to upgrade. DW 9K2s look very nice (and expensive) and I've enjoyed using them at the store. Tricks look even nicer and twice the price, but I've never seen/tested any in person. My question: are the Tricks really so much nicer they are worth doubling the money? Or is it primarily because they look space-age and are an obscure brand claiming to be more state of the art than mainstream and looking to nab the people looking to say "my pedal costs TWICE as much as a 9K2 in yo face biatch!"?

The more I look a it the more they are just really not selling me on the $850 pedals. I find it hard to believe it's THAT much more than aesthetically fancy beaters and pedalboards that use leverage rather than chain/strap.

Well, I play the bigfoot double pedal. The I tested it I tested against the DW 9000s.

Trick wins for me. The DWs are also very nice...but on the heavy side. If you're into speed then it'll have to be the Trick because there's no way the DW can reach the higher speeds.

Trick are just the nicest pedals I've ever played. Usually I'd never spend that serious money on a pedal...but the feel alone is worth it. For me at least.

I've always hated heavy pedals. I hate the way you nearly have to fight the pedal to keep control of it. They just feel sloppy to me. I'm not saying DWs are sloppy...just to be clear on that.

Marco Minnemann said something about this actually. He was talking about the B.O.A pedal. He said that when he's at home he likes to work on stuff away from the kit...so he actually works his feet on the floor rather than a pedal. But he's always found that when he puts his feet on a pedal he has to work so much harder because it goes against him. But he found with the B.O.A. that it felt like there was no pedal...he had the same comfort and feel as when he was working on the floor...very natural...whatever his feet do the pedal does.

This is how I feel about the Trick. It feels the way a pedal should feel...natural.

Others may hate it. I wouldn't use anying else as my main double pedal.

But I will be adding some single DW 9000s to my multi-pedal set up. I don't need speed there. And for what I'll be doing I don't need the Trick...it'd be too much money. (I can get the DW 9000s much cheaper than usual)

Hope this helps.

Well, I play the bigfoot double pedal. The I tested it I tested against the DW 9000s.

Trick wins for me. The DWs are also very nice...but on the heavy side. If you're into speed then it'll have to be the Trick because there's no way the DW can reach the higher speeds.

Trick are just the nicest pedals I've ever played. Usually I'd never spend that serious money on a pedal...but the feel alone is worth it. For me at least.

I've always hated heavy pedals. I hate the way you nearly have to fight the pedal to keep control of it. They just feel sloppy to me. I'm not saying DWs are sloppy...just to be clear on that.

Marco Minnemann said something about this actually. He was talking about the B.O.A pedal. He said that when he's at home he likes to work on stuff away from the kit...so he actually works his feet on the floor rather than a pedal. But he's always found that when he puts his feet on a pedal he has to work so much harder because it goes against him. But he found with the B.O.A. that it felt like there was no pedal...he had the same comfort and feel as when he was working on the floor...very natural...whatever his feet do the pedal does.

This is how I feel about the Trick. It feels the way a pedal should feel...natural.

But I will be adding some single DW 9000s to my multi-pedal set up. I don't need speed there. And for what I'll be doing I don't need the Trick...it'd be too much money. (I can get the DW 9000s much cheaper than usual)

Hope this helps.

I'm a little curious as to where there have been tests done to back that statement up. Swapping out the beater on a DW 9000 will dramatically affect how the pedal feels, DW's are known to have a bit of a heavy feel. I think Trick makes a nice pedal and I've tried some out at sam ash, didn't really care for the feel of them, Axis didn't feel to bad, would love to try some Yamaha direct drive pedals but no one locally has any.

As for why Trick is so expensive couldn't tell you guys that have them love them, too me a little bit much for pedals as there are probably others that will meet your needs as well.

These pedals are two different animals entirely so not a true apples-to-apples comparison. The 9002's are in the same category as the Iron Cobras, Eliminators and other "standard design" pedals. The Tricks are in the same category as the Axis pedals (and I guess the Pearl Demon Drive too) and are designed differently (way lighter in feel and actual weight, quieter, and typically have more customizable set-up options to meet your needs/preferences).

Personally, I prefer the more modern design longboard pedals like Axis and Trick, but I find the Axis to be the superior of the two.....but that's MY opinion. Pedal preference is entirely subjective so you need to find what fits best for YOU.

I think you should first figure out whether you prefer a more standard-like pedal or a modern-design pedal. If you prefer standard, then compare the 9002 to the 5002, 8002, IC's, Elim's, Flying Dragons, etc. If you prefer modern, compare the Trick, Demon Drive, and Axis. There's no rules and it's possible to like both, but that's a good place to start. For standard pedals I prefer the Pearl Elims, and as mentioned above, I prefer the Axis over all pedals. Fortunately I own both :)

Hope that helps,

- Mike

Thanks, you guys, this is great info. I'm going to just try to get a chance to try them back to back so I can compare properly. But I do think I spoke too soon on modern design, I'll be giving it more thought.

Go with the DW8002 series instead. Same adjustability and a couple of hundred cheaper.

I play the DW9002 pedals and they're smooth, solid and reliable. I use a Danmar round felt beater on the right and a DW Hardcore beater on the left. I like the slight difference in sound that I get with different beaters.

I've played the Trick pedals on a few kits in stores and they have a little more responsive feel, probably due to the direct drive design.

Personally, I second the vote for the 8002s. They cost less and feel great

Hope this helps.

Have you tried the Dominator or Pro1-V? Bigfoot is just a longer Pro1-V, if I understand correctly, right?

I play the DW9002 pedals and they're smooth, solid and reliable. I use a Danmar round felt beater on the right and a DW Hardcore beater on the left. I like the slight difference in sound that I get with different beaters.

I've played the Trick pedals on a few kits in stores and they have a little more responsive feel, probably due to the direct drive design.

Personally, I second the vote for the 8002s. They cost less and feel great

I demoed the Pearl Demon Drives against the DW 9k2s. I assume all other direct drives (Trick/Axis) are rather similar in feel to the Demons. I personally found that I couldn't seem to get as much power with the Demons as I could the 9k2s. I did get slightly faster singles with the Demons, but they just seemed... I don't know, weaker? Though the direct drives seemed ever so faster, it seemed like I lost a lot of dynamics to get them that fast, like I had to keep my action really tight and squeezed as opposed to letting it rip like I felt like I could do with the 9k2s.

I walked out of the store with a pair of 9k2s. I didn't find the slight speed increase in the direct drives was worth it, especially considering the cost increase, seeing as it took away a little bit of power. If I was in a death metal band I may have made the stretch, but until then my beautiful 9k2s will more than do the trick. I can't imagine I'll need more speed than they will give me. They do feel a bit heavier than the directs, but a quick swap of those clunky DW beaters, and viola.

Last edited:
I demoed the Pearl Demon Drives against the DW 9k2s. I assume all other direct drives (Trick/Axis) are rather similar in feel to the Demons. I personally found that I couldn't seem to get as much power with the Demons as I could the 9k2s. I did get slightly faster singles with the Demons, but they just seemed... I don't know, weaker? Though the direct drives seemed ever so faster, it seemed like I lost a lot of dynamics to get them that fast, like I had to keep my action really tight and squeezed as opposed to letting it rip like I felt like I could do with the 9k2s.

I walked out of the store with a pair of 9k2s. I didn't find the slight speed increase in the direct drives was worth it, especially considering the cost increase, seeing as it took away a little bit of power. If I was in a death metal band I may have made the stretch, but until then my beautiful 9k2s will more than do the trick. I can't imagine I'll need more speed than they will give me. They do feel a bit heavier than the directs, but a quick swap of those clunky DW beaters, and viola.

Actually they don't. I've played on axis, trick and the demon drives. The demon drives don't have anywhere the same feel to me as the others.

Congrats on the 9000's, excellent pedals that will serve you well. Experiment with the strap that came with them, it really changes the feel of the pedal ;-)

good choice i love mine and im sure you will too

Actually they don't. I've played on axis, trick and the demon drives. The demon drives don't have anywhere the same feel to me as the others.

Congrats on the 9000's, excellent pedals that will serve you well. Experiment with the strap that came with them, it really changes the feel of the pedal ;-)

Yeah, I feel like it was a solid choice. Thanks for all the helpful information you guys! In RE: to the strap, doesn't it give it a bit of a softer feel? I can't decide if that's a good thing; it doesn't compromise response, does it?

I can't wait until I have $100 extra in my account so I can pick up a pair of Trick Pro1-V beaters. Also, have you guys tried the Vruk pedals?

Go with the DW8002 series instead. Same adjustability and a couple of hundred cheaper.
if your comparing them to the 9000's, the 9000's are more adjustable.and the spring is independant on a bearing 2ways, not fixed onto the side.

These pedals are two different animals entirely so not a true apples-to-apples comparison. The 9002's are in the same category as the Iron Cobras, Eliminators and other "standard design" pedals. The Tricks are in the same category as the Axis pedals (and I guess the Pearl Demon Drive too) and are designed differently (way lighter in feel and actual weight, quieter, and typically have more customizable set-up options to meet your needs/preferences).

Personally, I prefer the more modern design longboard pedals like Axis and Trick, but I find the Axis to be the superior of the two.....but that's MY opinion. Pedal preference is entirely subjective so you need to find what fits best for YOU.

I think you should first figure out whether you prefer a more standard-like pedal or a modern-design pedal. If you prefer standard, then compare the 9002 to the 5002, 8002, IC's, Elim's, Flying Dragons, etc. If you prefer modern, compare the Trick, Demon Drive, and Axis. There's no rules and it's possible to like both, but that's a good place to start. For standard pedals I prefer the Pearl Elims, and as mentioned above, I prefer the Axis over all pedals. Fortunately I own both :)

Hope that helps,

- Mike

i have been a supporter of ic's for years, switched to axis, replaced axis (too light, no feel) with DW 9000's (swapped the beaters for sonor ones) and have tricks pro 1-v on order. the 9000's are beyond the elim's and ic's. no longer do you have to swap cams, more adjustable than both in terms of feeling. change the beaters and it drastically lightens the 9000's. i would put them in a category with demon drive, axis, and trick. even though its not a direct drive, you can make it feel that way.

Back