Gretsch Renown Maple - Deep Inca Gold Sparkle

C

cjbee

Hey everyone...I'm new here, and here's my kit. Just picked these up a couple of months ago and I'm extremely pleased with them, both in terms of sound and looks. One of the best 'bang-for-the-buck' kits on the market.

Drums
10x8
14x14
20x16
14x5 1970 Slingerland Gene Krupa Soundking COB
14x5 Gretsch Renown Maple Snare

Sabian Cymbals
13" HHX Evolution Hats
20" AAX Studio Ride
21" HH Vintage Ride
22" HH Jose Pasillas Raw-Bell Dry Crash/Ride Prototype

*Updated specs, see post 20...
13" HHX Evolution Hats
20" Vault Artisan Light Ride
22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride
22" Vault Artisan Medium Ride

And here's a soundclip...just little excerpts taken from a 21 minute warmup jam with my band...kind of sloppy, but whatever. It was recorded with a single AT2020 room mic.

http://media.putfile.com/November-23-Jam

See ya' around!

Attachments

• P1010446.jpg
    P1010446.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 5,347
  • P1010451.jpg
    P1010451.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 9,685
  • P1010457.jpg
    P1010457.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6,306
  • P1010470.jpg
    P1010470.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 5,008
  • P1010500.jpg
    P1010500.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 4,942
Last edited:
Hey Cjbee, Nice kit man and welcome to the forum. I like the finish I have a Tama star classic in gold crush glitter that is similar. Your band sounds cool, you have a great feel, not rushed at all. That Gene Kruper snare is Huge ! Enjoy the kit man.

That DIGS sparkle is some sweet eye candy. Sweet drums. I own a set of renowns too 10x8 12x9 14x12 22x18. No kidding about the "bang-for-the-buck". The COB sounds great too. I like your cymbal lineup, the sound really goes well with your band's music. I didn't know sabian was working on a jose pasillas model but it sounds great.

These come diecast right?

I'm so tempted to buy into the Gretsch family, and I've been eyeing the Renowns for ages. Maybe I'll take the plunge.

These come diecast right?

I'm so tempted to buy into the Gretsch family, and I've been eyeing the Renowns for ages. Maybe I'll take the plunge.
Yup, diecasts on all of the toms and snare drum. They're great drums at a fantastic price point - I picked up the 5-piece groove setup (10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 20x16, 14x5) for under $1500...if you like the sound of them, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. They're very solid.

Someone is obviously a fan of Buddy Rich...which is great...nice set btw :)
Yup, love Buddy...the snare tilt gave it away, didn't it? :)

Thanks!

I've got a snare like that and love it. I have a Gretsch Catalina Rock kit which is possibly more fun to play than my Mapex Pro M kit. It works amazing for the swing band I play with. Gretsch has some nice drums all around really

Finally renowns with some style, we all know they are great sounding but the looks have always been a little bland imo but these really pop! Love it man very sweet. Excellent playing too.

Thanks guys! The sparkle looks fantastic under stage lights.

welcome to the forum, man. As for your kit, hello!! Bling Bling in full effect!!!!

Did you choose specifically to go for a 4 piece, or was a 5 piece an option?

If I got this kit I might go a 10, 12, 14 tom configuration, I'd end up not using all 3 toms at once, but it'd give me a wider tone option.

If I got this kit I might go a 10, 12, 14 tom configuration, I'd end up not using all 3 toms at once, but it'd give me a wider tone option.

This was my thinking when I got a 5 piece renown maple. For months i've played with just the 12 and 14, but it's been a pleasure getting back to a 5 piece recently. Seems like the best way to appreciate their great tone is to set up with the full complement. The styling of the mounts makes it look fantastic when sitting behind it as well. Great drums.

Yeah, I've got the 5-piece 'Groove' configuration...the 12" tom is sitting in it's case at home though. I'm not using it now, but I have it for two reasons:

1) It's part of a configuration so it was actually cheaper to get the 5-piece instead of specially ordering in a specifically-sized 4-piece.

2) It's nice to have around just in-case...I might not be using it now, but who knows when I may want to change my setup or swap the 10" tom out?

A couple 'small' updates...I returned the Pasillas Prototype...realized after a couple months that it wasn't really my thing. Replaced it with a 22" HHX Legacy Heavy Ride, sold off the Vintage Ride for a 22" Vault Artisan Medium and sold the AAX Studio Ride for a 20" Vault Artisan Light.

Attachments

• overheadphotomerge_newsmall.jpg
    overheadphotomerge_newsmall.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 4,557
  • 22medium.jpg
    22medium.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 4,184
  • legacy3.jpg
    legacy3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4,446
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg