Derek Roddy here!

Re: Derek Roddy

Just wanted to take a minute and thank all of you for the possitive responces to my playing.
I'm just like all of you when it comes to this. I love to play and get no better feeling than creating music with fellow musicians.
I'm thankful that some of you feel I have something to offer the drumming community. I work very hard to steer the younger generations of drummers to follow their own personal path and to be excited about playing the drums NOT discouraged.
We drummers are very lucky to have such a wonderful community of human beings to ask and offer advise. I can't thank all of you drummers enough for giving me the spirt to continue on with my efforts. Again, thank you ALL very much.
I don't really get alot of time to cruise the net. If any of you ever want to talk or have ANY questions...feel free to contact me at my forum as it's the only one I make it to with any consistancy.
Hope you all are doing well and talk soon.
Cheers.
Derek.

I recently read a wonderfully incicive interview you did in MD a while ago. It was a lovely read.

This internet thingamejig is a bit funny. I think the best thing is to take it all with a grain of salt. What you are doing is tremendous. You're a very musical and expressive player. I think in the big scheme of things, that's really what matters.

Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Derek Roddy playing some killer grooves!

I know George and have seen him play many times (over 10) I have NEVER seen him play single stroke DB over 255 in a playing situation.... To this day. Yes there are some NILE tunes that are in the 265 range but like all of us...his feet float just a little. Besides, this is another case of putting words in my mouth. I said, on my forum... that at the TIME, nobody was playing over 255 or 260. Are drummers such as George getting closer? Yes they are but... I STILL haven't seen a drummer play 16th note singles over 255 in a PLAYING situation.
Please read more carefully.
Cheers.
D.

GREAT Quote DEREK and welcome to drummerworld its a Great forum...
Glad you agree that MOST drummers are floating.
The reason I posted that response was to let drummers know how rediculous 265 is to lock in...
You,George,Tony, Romaine are the few extreme drummers that can lock in past 240
I LOVE the Quote you had 240 A lot faster than we think...lol
I have always said I would rather hear a drumer floating and keeping the song together rather than someone killing themselves trying to lock in the feet and sounding like an epiletic fit....
Its great to see the way you have expanded your playing
Keep it up..
Tim

Last edited:

Also, I have a book coming out in 2 months. It's called "The Evolution of Blast Beats".
Teaches everything you need to know about blast beats and extreme metal playing.
It will have world wide distro and will be available everywhere (hopefully)
Here is a cover shot.
Evolution.jpg

Cheers.
D.

Finally got around to getting some clips of the new Sonors.
I couldn't tell while the phones are on (drums to loud)
But, there is a mic out of phase on the 14 to the left of the main hats and the left BD. Sounds a bit unbalanced but you get the idea.
Please disregard my "hacking"
D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxsxsU4DnKI

Finally got around to getting some clips of the new Sonors.
I couldn't tell while the phones are on (drums to loud)
But, there is a mic out of phase on the 14 to the left of the main hats and the left BD. Sounds a bit unbalanced but you get the idea.
Please disregard my "hacking"
D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxsxsU4DnKI

DEREK
The drumming and drums sound great..
Good Mics and miking does make all the difference.....
Should dispell the Myth about DEREK only PRACTICING speed cause it sure has made your drumming a lot more musical...
Keep it up
Tim

Huh, I was just reading some of the You Tube comments (trust me im really bored) for that "drum solo" that has been posted on there a billion times. Sometimes it just makes me wonder how people can comment like that. Comparing Joey and Derek. Then fighting about it saying so and so is way better than so and so. So stupid...

Peace
AGR

Yeah I think it's stupid, too. Derek Roddy and Joey Jordison cannot be compared as they belong to two different kinds of music. I haven't seen Joey Jordison do anything remotely as good as Derek Roddy though. But I won't compare.

But I don't see why those particular Youtubers can't get it into their skull that the two drummers are completely different.

HUGE fan Derek!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you play doubles(RRLLRRLL) with your feet?

I Play dw, whats your set up like?

im not a death metal fan i like black and power thing like that but this guy is just SICK!

Derek works at Rez Drums, a really great drum shop in South Florida. He helped me decide on a ride cymbal and tuned up my snare drum real nicely. He's a great musician with great style and a really nice guy besides.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Just a heads up for you.......
My book "The Evolution Of Blast Beats" is now ready.
It will still be 3 weeks before it starts shipping but...
if ANYBODY is interested in getting this book.....
PLEASE go to your local music store and request that they order it.
Even if you want to buy it directly from me. ( at my website)
I won't have any available until a few weeks anyway and you'll likely get it faster through a store.
Here is the ordering info for DEALERS. Take this website and phone number to your local store.
Most major stores will have it but just in case.

www.worldmusic4all.com
866-89-68742
OR IN CANADA
www.canadianprintmusic.com
800 668 5767
Everywhere else contact the us info.
Cheers.
D.

WOW

Truly a big fan! I cant wait for your book. I was at a Mike Mangini clinic last night and i asked him a question on how to incorporate doubles into a speed exersise and he said "I aint no Derek Roddy" it was great.

Any chance YOU would come to Newfoundland for a clinic?
-Dale

WOW

Truly a big fan! I cant wait for your book. I was at a Mike Mangini clinic last night and i asked him a question on how to incorporate doubles into a speed exersise and he said "I aint no Derek Roddy" it was great.

Any chance YOU would come to Newfoundland for a clinic?
-Dale

That's too much!! LOL Mike is great isn't he? Awesome player.
Yes, We can try to arrange a clinic in Newfoundland. Might happen sooner than you think!
Cheers.
D.

Yeah Mike was awesome! As for the cilnic, you just let me know when you have the time and ill arrange the rest.

-Dale

Last edited:

I just ordered a second bass drum 18x22 and a 7x8 tom.
Did you ever use a dw pedal with a long footboard?

Last edited:
Back