hi-hat stand recommendations?

evolving_machine

Silver Member
Can I impose on all of you for some gear recommendations?

I'm looking for an inexpensive (less than $100.00) hi-hat stand. Two legged, with an adjustable tension. Could any of you recommend a hi-hat stand that fits these limitations?

I am using now an Iron cobra lever glide that I leave at home or take to gigs. It is a good stand, but I did not want to purchase one of these used.

I leave some inexpensive equipment in my car for when I go to the rehearsal studio to play, so I do not want to be very disappointed when or if the local thugs break into my car and take what does not belong to them.

I need the adjustable spring tension because I have a problem with my left foot called a "dropped foot." This is the result of a back injury. The adjustable spring tension allows me to find the right tension so that I can play the hi-hat easier.

I would like a two legged stand so that I can use a double bass pedal close to the hi-hat. I suppose, if there was a three legged stand that allowed the three legs to rotate away from the area where the bass pedal would be, this would also work.

I have two 2-legged stands - one is a DW5000, which I am not too fussed about. I will probably donate to a student in the future. The other is a Yamaha which is excellent. I had a Premier one several years back but the angle of the footboard was too steep for my liking.

I just bought a Yamaha 700 series model for my son, mainly because he absolutely loves his Yamaha bass pedal, and none of our local music stores had yamaha models in stock to try out. The hi hat stand arrives today, and he does not like it, we will send it back. I think just about every brand can be purchased via Amazon, and they have a very easy to use return policy/procedure. Just open the shipping box in a manner that it can be re-used.

I used a Tama road pro for years (now on my daugther's kit). It has adjustable tension, a really solid feel and rotatable tripod legs that will accomodate your double pedal easily

Pretty much any intermediate hi-hat stand will serve and be nearly interchangeable. I have played on very few hi-hat stands at a $60-$75 price point and thereafter thought they were either awesome or horrible -- they just work. Don't go cheap, don't go super-expensive unless that's what you want.

Five years later I am still using my PDP 800 series hi-hat stand without complaint.

If possible, buy gently used gear... save a little $$ that can be used for heads, sticks, or tasty adult beverages.

I like DW5000, DW9000, Yamaha, and Gibraltar. Pearl is meh for me.

https://www.google.com/#q=two+legge...34,d.aWc&fp=3e50cd83a59bf02c&biw=1280&bih=895

the DW 5000 and DW9000 are a much higher priced than $100.00. Most of my stuff if pearl, but they have so many models, and the Guitar Center sales staff mostly have a vacuum in the stock room and between their ears. I checked out a few Yamaha and Gibraltar pedals and hi-hat stands and was really not impressed. Thank you for your posting.

I have two 2-legged stands - one is a DW5000, which I am not too fussed about. I will probably donate to a student in the future. The other is a Yamaha which is excellent. I had a Premier one several years back but the angle of the footboard was too steep for my liking.

Unless I can not find these DW5000's for the correct price, they are going for more than $100.00 new. I have found them used for about $85.00. But I am not willing to do a used hi-hat clutch that I have not been able to touch.

Thank you all for the replies.

Because I travel so much it is hard for me to purchase something and return it if it is not easy.

If I was able to touch the used items, I would be able to see if it had any defects before I purchased it.

For years I used an old Slingerland stand, that when I took out the bottom screw, I was able to rotate the legs out of the way and mount the hi-hat on my left bass drum. It also had a very easy adjustment for the spring tension.

I know Yamaha and Gibraltar have been in business for years, I have just not seen them putting their best hi-hat foot foward. Again this could be those I saw on display with the sales representatives that had vacuum in the stock room and between their ears.

Thanks again for trying, I know you did try your best.

The Yamaha 740. I know you said you didn't think they've been putting their best foot forward, but this stand seems to have everything you desire.

The legs swivel and the tension is super easy to adjust. It is single braced, but has proven very durable for me (been set up/broken down at least 50-60 times with no problems). I'll bet you'd love it!!!

The Yamaha 740. I know you said you didn't think they've been putting their best foot forward, but this stand seems to have everything you desire.

The legs swivel and the tension is super easy to adjust. It is single braced, but has proven very durable for me (been set up/broken down at least 50-60 times with no problems). I'll bet you'd love it!!!

Thanks, I will try to find some place that has a yamaha 740 to test drive it. I will take it through the quarter mile and the off road just to see how it handles.

I own two of these and love them!

Another vote for Yamaha HS-740A:

748C0B9674FC4244A2707C2A2A4F4875_12073.jpg

Legs swivel, easy spring tension adjustment, in your budget, not too heavy, very durable, works and looks good. That's what I use.

You can probably get a Pearl H-900 Hi Hat stand for that money. I've had one for about four years without a problem. They also have a tension control adjustment, one factor that many low price stands do not. I also own a Tama HH75WN low cost stand, this also has a tension adjustment control. I've owned this for over three years without any issues.

Dennis

the DW 5000 and DW9000 are a much higher priced than $100.00. Most of my stuff if pearl, but they have so many models, and the Guitar Center sales staff mostly have a vacuum in the stock room and between their ears. I checked out a few Yamaha and Gibraltar pedals and hi-hat stands and was really not impressed. Thank you for your posting.

I found a few for less than $150, which is basically a steel.

I believe the Pearl H-2000 is around $100 new. The Yamaha 740 is also a very food stand.

I don't know if you're still in the market, but I play a Stagg hat stand. Now, before you think "Stagg?! I would never own one of those!" hear me out.

I found it at a local music store. It's very heavy duty, with three double braced legs, which swivel, a long rod, and spring tension adjustment. I remember I paid somewhere between $60-$80 for it brand new.

I've been playing it for two years now, and it has proven to be just as good as any high-dollar Pearl or DW stand, for a fraction of the price. It's still very responsive, and sturdy. The only downside is that you can't break down the solid base plate to more easily transport it, but that is very minor.

For the record, I have tried to research it on the internet, and I've never been able to find it. Just a few small pictures here and there, but no real information.

I think getting a hi-hat stand with a similar drive and footplate to your bass pedal is a good idea. It would feel balanced.

I found a few for less than $150, which is basically a steel.

I believe the Pearl H-2000 is around $100 new. The Yamaha 740 is also a very food stand.

The Pearl H2000 IS $274.99 at GC. I like mine its a 2 leg but if you prefer a 3 leg then may want check out others.

Back